“Restaurant food in a pub atmosphere”
Review of The Queen's Oak

The Queen's Oak
Price range: USD 8 - USD 27
Cuisines: Barbecue, British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The only pub in the country named The Queen's Oak. 400 years old & built on a Roman ruin. A proper English pub serving nice homemade British food and a range of beverages including cask conditioned real ales. There are plenty of picturesque walks nearby and just opposite is St Michaels Church. We welcome dogs, horses and well behaved children and have a large, safe garden. An excellent venue for a country style wedding, christening or any celebration. We also host during the summer some hog roast and BBQ.
Reviewed 14 December 2017

The food was absolutely top. The Pub has been done up and decorated to a warm atmosphere. the all staff was sharing the service, which contributed to a family atmosphere.

Date of visit: December 2017
pierre c, Owner at The Queen's Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Dear Bo A,
Thank you for the nice review. We are all glad to heard that you enjoyed your meal with us.

We are looking forward to see you soon again.

Kinds Regards,

Pierre & Cynthia

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Just had a lovely meal at The Queen's Oak - a tender rump of lamb followed by a delicious crème brulee and my wife had the slow cooked lamb with dumplings then a beautiful bread and butter pudding. Super drinks as well - a Christmas ale and mulled gin. Also great service from Pierre & Cynthia - I'd recommend it if you're looking for a local pub.

Date of visit: December 2017
pierre c, Owner at The Queen's Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Dear CJ2180,
Thank you for the great review.
We are all very happy to heard that you enjoyed your meal with us.

We are looking forward to see you again.

Thanks again for the nice review.

Cynthia & Pierre

Reviewed 5 December 2017

The prices are good but that is where the good experience ended.
The service was rather slow despite when we arrived being 1 of only 2 tables.

When we arrived the greeting was lively and friendly.

The occasion was a meal with my parents who are 69 and 73 and live out of the country so I see them rarely now, my mother who is diabetic and allergic to aspartame asked if they have any Pepsi Max or Coke Zero; they didn't so she explained that diet was not the same and could she have a glass and drink her own Pepsi Max, (we were clearly sitting for dinner and I had gone to view the ales at this point.) The answer from the landlady was just "sorry we don't allow outside drinks" it then took a couple of minutes, things become almost heated and confrontational and my girlfriend muttering DDA under her breath before the Landlady said "I will make an exception this time."
I understand the sentiment but it should have been immediately recognised that my mother is a 69 year old who is long past cheating the system and has numerous medical and dietary requirements.

The food; We had 2 battered haddocks, a chicken and a beef roast Sunday meals, the chicken was a supreme cut and was excellently cooked and presented. The beef was also very good quality and cooked well.
The roast potatoes were however under-cooked, myself and my partner both had some that actually had crunchily underdone centres and none was done enough to be soft.
The mushy peas are actually smashed garden peas which was a bit of a surprise for us and did not have the (disliked by me actually but loved by some) distinctive marrow-fat pea mushy flavour. Instead of cauliflower cheese it was just some boiled cauliflower, I can't say personally but I'm told the Haddock was a bit bland and the batter not the crispiest.

My ale pint become empty about half way though the main despite trying to drink it slowly after waiting for the main to turn up, no-one ever asked me if I wanted another when the main was cleared or the pudding ordered or the pudding served, so I had to get myself a half from the bar.

When the pudding was served my mother had ordered an Eton mess type desert and was asked "why did you order this if you are diabetic" we explained although a little put out at this point that she had been saving her "sugar points" for a desert for more than one day. This is something she can eat a couple of times a week now.

I was had the ham terrine due to not being a sweet tooth and that was mercifully very nice, the piccalilli was suitably tangy.

Nearer the end of our meal I had to get up for the bill and then pay it at the bar because we had become bored of waiting, found all three staff crowded round the till as if they were trying to work out how to do something.

The gentlemen was lively and friendly but the lady was less friendly, the junior waiting staff lad was keen and polite.

The prices are great but stick a £1 on some of the meals if it gives you time to be courteous and friendly and prompt.

Before the reply comes back about cooking good food not fast food which I read, the service issues that bothered us most were;
After the meal no bill turned up for ages until requested from the bar
After the bill was requested i had to pay at the bar
No knowledge about the provisions set out for dietary requirements of the older or medically impaired.
No-one asked if I wanted another drink when clearing plates, taking pudding order or delivering pudding order.

I won't name drop here but I have been to other local pubs and had consistently good food and service for either about the same price or slightly more.

The only reason I have put 3 stars not 2 is the fact that the landlady seemed to realise her abruptness was like something out of faulty towers and then started to ask "Oh, can you tell me more please, I am not educated about these things." regarding the diabetes and aspartame allergy.

Personally I think dietary requirements is probably something I would seek to research before running a food-pub to fulfil my due diligence but you learn something new every day I guess.

Also if you wonder why we said it was OK then complain later it was due in part to the fact that the underdone potatoes would be difficult to correct in a reasonable time, the frosty reception made us feel like if we complained you would just rationalise the issues instead of just taking them on board.

Whatever you might think I called no less than 6 places between Wokingham and yourselves on that Sunday and they were all fully booked until after 4pm at 1:30pm. Your place was however so empty that you suggested we just roll up and eat.

The market has spoken.

Total seated time for a main followed by pudding was 2.25 hours.

Date of visit: December 2017
pierre c, Owner at The Queen's Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Dear Nicholas,

I apologise for the fact you’ been disappointed with us for your visit.
I believe we had a very extensive range of drinks (from juices to tonic, water, soda in bottles, hot drinks etc..)with people from differents healthy need, and as a bussiness, you can’t really let people consumes drinks no-purchased in your place.
I don’t think you will go to Starbucks with your own coffee?

We double checked and we had the impression that you enjoyyed your meal with us as you said everything was good.
I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your meal with us.

Kinds regards,
Cynthia & Pierre

Reviewed 5 December 2017

Our first visit to this restaurant and it will not be our last. The food was very tasty and the portion sizing was generous. It was a Monday night and quiet. The owners were very welcoming and friendly. I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant. The value was very good but it is outstanding when combined with a promotion - there are nightly offers.

Dear David,
Thank you for the lovely review. We are glad to heard that you enjoyed your meal with us.

Kinds regards,
Cynthia and Pierre

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Dinner on Friday night with a few beers, a warm welcome, nice atmosphere, live music and great food. The Oak burger was excellent, and even the vegetarian burger was a nice surprise; much more interesting with Halloumi inside and not just a dry burger. The bangers & mash are also recommended. We’ll be back.......

Date of visit: November 2017
pierre c, Owner at The Queen's Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the lovely review. We are all very happy to heard that you enjoyed your visit with us.

Kinds Regards,