“Mrs”
Review of East Kent Railway

East Kent Railway
More attraction details
Owner description: The East Kent Railway is run solely by volunteers to preserve the last remaining part of the Kent Coalfields trains currently run from Shepherdswell to Eythorne (a round trip of 4 miles). On some special event days trains will also run on the Wigmore Lane extension. The Railway is also home to the EPB group who preserve and restore Southern Region electric trains.
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Great breakfast and a lovely woodland walk. Not as good as the Oast B&B in Shepheards Well, It's definately worth the visit

1  Thank Ben B
"staff were so friendly"
"birthday present"
"level crossing"

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

My class of 30 9-10 year olds visited today to immerse and engage them in our topic this term on WWII. Wendy was really helpful in helping me arrange our trip and it was easy to organise. The children have had an amazing day. They had the opportunity to have photos taken next to the train in their evacuee costumes, a ride down the line from Shepherdswell to Eyethorne through picturesque countryside and then had a variety of activities arranged in a carousel in the afternoon.

I was really impressed with how all of the staff, who are volunteers, went the extra mile. Mark was very knowledgeable and the children were engrossed not only in the history he knew but his own experiences. Gerry spent an awful long time preparing for our classroom based visit: making gas masks and boxes, ration books and ID cards as well as creating a display for the children to refer to. Emma and Stuart met us on the site and offered to do some music and war-time song alongs by the campfire area - an added extra we hadn’t planned on.

The children have had an unforgettable experience and we are really grateful to the volunteers who gave up their time so that the class could have such a memorable day.

As a teacher I would 100% recommend EKR as a trip destination.

Thank you to everyone who we met and the others behind the scenes that we didn’t meet who al went above and beyond!

Year 5 Teacher.

4  Thank natashanorris87
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

We were looking online for activities to do on a rainy day, when we came across their name and head down for a visit. OMG! What a fantastic place!! A trip on a historic train, minirails, shop with lots of books about trains. everyone was very friendly and super! When they saw that me and my daughter were very excited to be there, they let us take picture on the locomotive and even sound the horn! Really a wonderful experience!
Dogs are allowed as long as they are on a leash.

4  Thank Sara G
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

I was visiting family in Kent . So I thought I would combine a Driver experience in amongst my trip. We was greeted by very friendly staff . I was involved with everything from prepping of the engine to stabling it at the end . My 3 hours consisted of shunting and 3 round trips of the line wich I drove . This is 2 miles in length in lovely countryside . They also attatched a guard's van to the engine so the family could take part as well . The staff on the train are a credit to the railway and very knowledgeable as well as the people in the cafe to . And may i add great value for money . Many Thanks .

2  Thank Paul Kenneth H