“Amazing experience!!”
Review of East Kent Railway

East Kent Railway
More attraction details
Owner description: The East Kent Railway is run solely by volunteers to preserve the last remaining part of the Kent Coalfields trains currently run from Shepherdswell to Eythorne (a round trip of 4 miles). On some special event days trains will also run on the Wigmore Lane extension. The Railway is also home to the EPB group who preserve and restore Southern Region electric trains.
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

We were looking online for activities to do on a rainy day, when we came across their name and head down for a visit. OMG! What a fantastic place!! A trip on a historic train, minirails, shop with lots of books about trains. everyone was very friendly and super! When they saw that me and my daughter were very excited to be there, they let us take picture on the locomotive and even sound the horn! Really a wonderful experience!
Dogs are allowed as long as they are on a leash.

4  Thank Sara G
"staff were so friendly"
"birthday present"
"level crossing"

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

I was visiting family in Kent . So I thought I would combine a Driver experience in amongst my trip. We was greeted by very friendly staff . I was involved with everything from prepping of the engine to stabling it at the end . My 3 hours consisted of shunting and 3 round trips of the line wich I drove . This is 2 miles in length in lovely countryside . They also attatched a guard's van to the engine so the family could take part as well . The staff on the train are a credit to the railway and very knowledgeable as well as the people in the cafe to . And may i add great value for money . Many Thanks .

2  Thank Paul Kenneth H
Reviewed 1 July 2018

Something for everybody. Train rides. Model railways. Miniature railway rides. Walks in the woods. Good refreshments. Pleasant atmosphere. Gets better all the time. Good management and organisation.

2  Thank ronchatburndover
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Had a great summer solstice morning at EKR having a 'Driver Experience' session with Graham, Rod and Jill. I was shown how to set points, operate a level crossing and drive 427 'The Buffo' ex army locomotive c/w brake van to Eythorne station and back. I was able to invite guests (including two elderly and unsteady on their feet) to ride in the brake van and they were looked after very well. All in all a fantastic experience which I fully recommend.

1  Thank stevedurb
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Who doesn't love a train, when you have a four year old who loves trains this is an ideal place to come to. It cost us £15 pounds for our family ticket saving £2 pounds if we had bought invidual tickets.

So let's start at the beginning when we arrived you drive to a car park where there is trains and a double decker bus waiting to be lovingly bought back to life. Stright away this captured the imagination of our son his eyes lit up. I've seen some reviews saying it's full of scrap metal and just not nice blah blah, what I see is a story of each train or vehicle where one day they will be back to there former glory.

So we made our way to the ticket office purchased our tickets and then went to the model railway in a train carriage whilst we waited for the next train. In the carriage were three old boys tending to the model trains, we watched all the trains go round and round pointing at all the different trains. The three old boys running the model railway were friendly and informative and still kids at heart playing with their train set.

We heard the whistle and the train had arrived there was three different coaches to sit all of different types we sat in first class this was a first lol. It was a lovely slow trip down the line though a huge tunnel, we saw many different things animals, county side people in there cars waving at my son has he waved at them and it's just relaxing and nice.

When we got the the next station you have sometime to explore and have food from a converted train carriage, the cakes are lovely and my son palyed in the play area, soon enough it was time to go back same journey different carriage. When we arrived back we went to the 71/4 train and had a small ride round the wood this is an extra cost of a pound each not much but would be nice to be included in the overall price.

We went on to the wood land walk where they have the world war two tunnel, it was really interesting to hear the story hidden gem.

All I can say it's a nice day out run by volunteers without there input the East Kent railway would not exist and that would be a crying shame. So please suport them my son loved it and my inner child came out as well.

4  Thank MrCoffeebean