“Driver Experience at East Kent Railway”
Review of East Kent Railway

East Kent Railway
More attraction details
Owner description: The East Kent Railway is run solely by volunteers to preserve the last remaining part of the Kent Coalfields trains currently run from Shepherdswell to Eythorne (a round trip of 4 miles). On some special event days trains will also run on the Wigmore Lane extension. The Railway is also home to the EPB group who preserve and restore Southern Region electric trains.
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Had a great summer solstice morning at EKR having a 'Driver Experience' session with Graham, Rod and Jill. I was shown how to set points, operate a level crossing and drive 427 'The Buffo' ex army locomotive c/w brake van to Eythorne station and back. I was able to invite guests (including two elderly and unsteady on their feet) to ride in the brake van and they were looked after very well. All in all a fantastic experience which I fully recommend.

1  Thank stevedurb
"staff were so friendly"
"birthday present"
"level crossing"

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Who doesn't love a train, when you have a four year old who loves trains this is an ideal place to come to. It cost us £15 pounds for our family ticket saving £2 pounds if we had bought invidual tickets.

So let's start at the beginning when we arrived you drive to a car park where there is trains and a double decker bus waiting to be lovingly bought back to life. Stright away this captured the imagination of our son his eyes lit up. I've seen some reviews saying it's full of scrap metal and just not nice blah blah, what I see is a story of each train or vehicle where one day they will be back to there former glory.

So we made our way to the ticket office purchased our tickets and then went to the model railway in a train carriage whilst we waited for the next train. In the carriage were three old boys tending to the model trains, we watched all the trains go round and round pointing at all the different trains. The three old boys running the model railway were friendly and informative and still kids at heart playing with their train set.

We heard the whistle and the train had arrived there was three different coaches to sit all of different types we sat in first class this was a first lol. It was a lovely slow trip down the line though a huge tunnel, we saw many different things animals, county side people in there cars waving at my son has he waved at them and it's just relaxing and nice.

When we got the the next station you have sometime to explore and have food from a converted train carriage, the cakes are lovely and my son palyed in the play area, soon enough it was time to go back same journey different carriage. When we arrived back we went to the 71/4 train and had a small ride round the wood this is an extra cost of a pound each not much but would be nice to be included in the overall price.

We went on to the wood land walk where they have the world war two tunnel, it was really interesting to hear the story hidden gem.

All I can say it's a nice day out run by volunteers without there input the East Kent railway would not exist and that would be a crying shame. So please suport them my son loved it and my inner child came out as well.

4  Thank MrCoffeebean
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

What a lovely place, what lovely food and what lovely staff. Totally recommend the footplate for breakfast, huge food area and great for kids.

4  Thank Theghost1
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

This Place is one of the best around. The staff are brilliant and I highly recommended it to all families. It has been a dream of mine to drive a train and I got given the chance for my 18th Birthday to drive a train for half a day. This day was beyond my expectations and I can’t thank the people there enough. I really urge any families with little kids who enjoy trains to come to this place. It’s a wonderful day out and you get the feeling of being able to talk to all the volunteers and being treated extremely well.

4  Thank maxisplodge
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 May 2018

What do you buy for a Dad on his 60th birthday? Well, you would find it difficult to beat this! Great day out, involving the whole family!
My son and his girlfriend treated my husband to this experience, run by East Kent Railway, where he got to drive a diesel train for 3 hours.
We arrived at Shepherdswell Station on Friday 18th May 2018, in time for a very welcome early lunch. There was a good selection of food and drinks available at the cafe - Excellent value!
Suitably refreshed, we were welcomed by the team - Danni, Mark, James and Callum. My husband (the train driver) was given instruction by Danni, including essential maintenance checks as well as how to operate the controls, while Mark, the guard, told the rest of us a bit about the station, the surrounding area and what to expect from the afternoon. We were thrilled to be included as passengers, so that we could share the fun.
The team were very friendly and extremely informative. Their passion, knowledge and enthusiasm for the railway and the trains was excellent. We all had an amazing day out, and my husband could not stop smiling. He made a total of 3 journeys between Sheperdswell and Eythorne, going through the tunnel, stopping at the level crossing, blowing the whistle. Plenty of time to stop for refreshments or to use the toilets each time we stopped at Eythorne. There’s plenty to look at as the line went through very pretty countryside and woodland - I would advise you bring a coat, fleece or pullover as the tunnel is very long (477 yards) and it is very cold going through it - even on a warm summer’s day!
Both stations (Shepherdswell and Eythorne) are absolutely charming - pretty painted picket fencing; smart signal boxes and ticket offices; and a splash of colour from flowerbeds and hanging baskets. Take a camera as you will want to remember this day for many years to come.
Thank you so much to everyone at East Kent Railway.

2  Thank annH4145XN