Open today: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Review Highlights
worth a visit if you like plants

Reviewed 29 September 2018
ROZNBAZ
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Really Nice Place

Reviewed 21 August 2018
chubchubbanana
Rugby, United Kingdom

All reviews nature trail full english buy plants lavender cake herbaceous plants medicinal herbs home cooked food cakes lovely walk around the grounds varied menu children's play area triple cooked chips sunny day climbing frame worth a visit lovely place to visit shop
Reviewed 3 October 2018

I read a review saying that this place was a garden centre. I would have to agree. On the day I visited I was disappointed as I was expecting something better given the title of something ‘National’. The plant section does have a lot of plants granted. Some of the garden items are pricey. However the lunch in the cafe was very tasty and priced ok. The antique barn had some nice pieces again some a bit pricey for my pocket.
Overall I’m glad I went even though for me it was a long journey and the travelling took longer than my time at the actual centre.

2  Thank Maureen M
Reviewed 29 September 2018

This is a Garden Centre focusing on herbs but selling other plants. But if you are in the Warwickshire / Banbury area and want to see all the different varieties of herbs then it is worth a visit. You will be surprised at the numbers of varieties stocked and if you want a ground hugging herb or a bush of the same herb then it is normally in stock. There is a large car park and cafe serving snacks and teas.

1  Thank ROZNBAZ
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Meeting friend who now live in Scotland Had various items from the menu Decided to go for homemade Beef Berger Vey tasty Other friends Had Scampi, Ham and Eggs, and chicken Very busy even f not the nicest day Worth a visit

1  Thank Vaughan J
Reviewed 21 August 2018

OK, if you want to be a bit cynical it is a glorified garden centre with benefits. It is not a chain so there are lots of little extra bits and bobs here that you would not see at an average garden centre chain. Some of it is quite run of the mill and some of it is quite lovely indeed. The selection of plants is huge and they are well laid out and clearly explained. To my mind they were all reasonably priced also. The walks are an absolute delight and we treated ourselves to tea and cakes from the cafe, super highly recommended. So a lovely place to visit with something different in a few respects, I'll be going back.

1  Thank chubchubbanana
Reviewed 3 August 2018

We live close to but had never had the time to call in, good selection on herbs , very well watered , didn’t go to the cafe, but it had some people in it, lots of herbs to choose from.

1  Thank Karen L
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

This overgrown, unloved centre once may have offered herb lovers inspiration and enjoyment. Sadly, now it appears to be a slightly neglected garden centre. Very disappointing and not worthy of brown sign nor ‘national’ in the title

2  Thank NottinghamFishcake
Reviewed 5 July 2018

We have been here a couple of times as we really like the cafe. Would recommend this to anyone who wants nice reasonably priced food

Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

I had been wanting to visit the National Herb Centre for some time as I am interested in Culinary Herbs, Herbal Remedies and Aromatherapy. I was hoping that as it was the NHC there would be some books/research literature pertaining to the use of the herbs and medicinal shrubs. There was a wide variety of herbs but to me it seemed just like a garden centre. The demonstration gardens needed some tlc as some of the other areas were very overgrown (not just wild areas). Was quite busy when we visited so obviously a popular destination.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

This place only has a small indoor seating area but they have lots of outdoor tables with big umbrellas for shade which make sit the perfect place to eat on a warm summer day.
Only a small menu but enough choice even for a vegetarian, and the falafel burger (with chips) was magnificent - really lovely flavour. One of the best vegetarian burgers I've ever had in a restaurant. The chips were lovely chunky chips, really nicely cooked.
Good choice of cake - the sponge with mint cream was delicious.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We visited the herb centre as a group of cyclists. The staff were very busy but we got served very quickly. I had an Americano and a slice of lemon cake. The lemon cake was dryish in texture and didn’t taste a lot like lemon. The only lemon flavour was the icing on the top. The cake itself had a very course chrome and was definitely not enjoyable to eat. I would not recommend eating this product. The coffee was excellent as was the service. But the cakes went up to much.

1  Thank Mike W