“Pub chain, done well!”
Review of Groes Wen Inn

Groes Wen Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Groes Wen Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Penhow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Groes Wen Inn in Penhow is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Booked a table as we knew it gets popular on a Friday. Arrived late but our guest were already seated. Food came out very quickly, but we were late. Not much chance of ordering anymore drinks as before we knew it, the meal, starter/main/dessert was over. Great setting though and will go back. If I were to criticise, I’d say we were a little rushed, by a very junior server.

Date of visit: July 2017
General Manager A, Manager at Groes Wen Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review, Here at the Groes Wen we intend to keep our guests happy with great service, a smile and amazing food. We are glad you enjoyed your visit despite feeling rushed we would like you to know that this is never the case, you're always welcome to stay as long as you like! Once again thanks for youre feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Ate here for lunch with family, we have been before but unfortunately this recent visit was disappointing. There was a long wait for food. Our waitress wasn’t friendly and didn’t seem to want to be there. Chips were lukewarm. The veggie wrap was lovely and the BLT was nice. I had to ask for sauces as we weren’t offered any. My biggest issue though was the onion rings, it was actually embarrassing that they were served to us, it looked like somebody had scraped the bottom of a pan and served it to us, there was one whole soggy onion ring and the rest was just flakes (see photo). I would have complained but we weren’t given the option as the waitress didn’t ask how things were and I couldn’t get her attention when I tried. What a shame.

Date of visit: April 2018

I am sorry to here about the dissapointing service this isnt what we are about here at the Groes Wen neither this or poor food standards. Id like to ensure you this isnt a repeating problem we are working closely with the new team members to train them to a high standard so that we can avoid situations like this. Theres no excuse for it and it seems you left dissapointed in your experience. With the new managment team in place this week we are set to see a big improvement hopefully its not to late for us to be given another try. Id like to thank you for your review it always goes a long way and we very much hope to see you again.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This place is my new favourite restaurant. Been twice now and it is excellent. The menu is diverse and good for meat lovers and vegetarians. Appetisers are the best and I have had several of them. Service is excellent and friendly! I will be back over and over. My friends want to come again the next time they visit me and living nearby makes it all the better. Can’t go wrong here. Dog friendly too!

Date of visit: March 2018

Its always nice to get feedback especially when its this good! we are glad to hear its your new favourite restaurant this is amazing news. We are always just around the corner and hopefully we see you and your friends again in the near future our management team are always happy to help so if you ever need anything dont be afraid to ask once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review its much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Ate this lunch time. Experience not great. The Aberdeen angus burgers were not VFM, as the for the kale and cauliflower couscous salad - we were left looking for the kale and cauliflower but found lots of iceberg lettuce - as for the chicken that went with the salad never tasted anything so tough. Generally the food is not value for money.

Date of visit: March 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Groes Wen Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thanks for the review

Regards

Gareth

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We'd had a run of carvery Sunday lunches and, although many were very good, we thought we would try a plated roast meal for a change. We  had passed this pub several times as we travelled along the A48 and my wife, on looking up the menu on line, decided that we'd try it out. The main appeal for her had been the pleasing variety and substantial choice of sweets and main meals on offer to supplement  the more traditional Sunday choices. For me , the interesting ales listing and ease of on line booking were also attractive.

On arrival the little welcoming station was unmanned but , cleverly, the bar staff beckoned us forward , served us drinks and ( with a warm smile ) showed us to our table. This team move avoids customers hanging around at reception during busy times and immediately shows that everyone values the customer's choice to dine there.

We both had the lamb shank roast lunches. The lamb was cooked to perfection; succulent,   sweet and tender. The homemade Yorkshire pudding was excellent , it isn't easy to get that right! 'Unlimited' gravy was a nice gesture too. My Cornish ale was richly flavoured and satisfying; it complemented the meal very well. The glaze on the carrots seemed surprisingly good after so many umimaginative offerings elsewhere.

When it came to the sweet, my coconut sorbet with fresh fruit was a sublime creation, rounding things off very nicely. My wife had the blackberry and apple crumble which she greatly  enjoyed. Just one small note- please be a little more generous with the custard ( a larger jug?). To be fair my wife asked for more and was met with a prompt and courteous response.

The quality of the table service was excellent, the lady was eager to please despite being busy. The whole place had a very positive vibe going, clearly popular. The pub benefited from having such a varied menu, Important with you have disparate tastes in larger groups.

Would advise parking on the  higher level as  manoeuvrability is limited for parking spaces directly opposite the main entrance.

Overall, a great place to just enjoy the gloriously satisfying traditional fare our country is famous for.

Date of visit: March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words glad you enjoyed your visit with us can't wait to see you again

Regards