“Your Maldivian Village getaway”

Happy Life Maldives Lodge
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Came across this place on facebook by accident, and finally decided to stay with them mainly cos the price was unbeatable and you get to stay in a village unlike other resorts.
Please note that, this place is a small place, and is not a resort but a smaller lodge that is located in a picturesque corner of Island of Dhiffushi. This island is about 2.5 hours by local ferry if you want to save the cost of an expensive speed boat ride. I decided to take this very long and slow journey as I was travelling solo. Ferry departs from Villingili Ferry terminal on the other side of Male's main ferry terminal. (No one in the main airport ferry terminal knows about the ferry to Dhiffushi so asking them was a bit of a time waster). Ferry cost about 20 rufiya which is great, and leaves in the afternoon (sorry I cant remember the time).

Lodge is a short stroll from where the ferry arrives and a staff member was there to pick me up and take me to the lodge. The lodge itself is a nice small place, and has coral sand in the main restaurant area. Although its quite open, you don't really feel the heat because of the fans.

I thought the rooms were impeccable, given that I was the only one to enjoy the very big room which usually accommodated for 3 people. It was fun! Bathroom was spotless and I admired the whole room setting. Only downside to the room was the tiny staircase which is quite steep and the lack of views from the 3 windows (yes 3!). Room was air conditioned and is great to avoid the day time heat if that's what you prefer.

Lodge is located next to a run down boat repair workshop and I think this gives its bad charm. However, the place is located very close to the beach, although you cannot consider it as a beach-front property. Price I paid included 3 meals and was well worth it. Food prepared by staff was tasty and I liked it. If you need more, you can always head to the numerous local cafes and have some hed hikka like I did. (I think I had more than enough). I even bought some local dried fish and 'mas mirus' (a local chillie paste equivalent) to take home.

Beach nearest to the lodge is excellent with crystal clear waters and you can just lay in the beach and admire the great view. Local women usually hang around the beach during the evening and clean it so its always clean. It is great for snorkeling too if you can as you can see some small fish around. I was able to see some baby shark very close to the beach. You can just borrow the kayak and go around the Island or close to Meeru Island resort.

You are free to walk around this island freely considering this is an actual village and you can see people going about their daily routines. Hassan will be happy to arrange anything else you want to do in the island like fishing, etc. Unfortunately I was too scared to go fishing at night with locals so I had to give it a miss :( (not that they are bad people, but because I am not a good swimmer). Prices seem economical so please ask Hassan!

If you prefer to go back to Male' by a speed boat, ask Hassan about the Sun Island resort speed boat service which would be cheaper. I decided to take this option as leaving around 5am in the morning by local ferry that takes 2.5hours is not worth it. (especially if you did it once!)

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are best for a view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank KrishanRodrigo

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Great place to stay, definitely better then resort island. Very friendly staff and they have the best chef - the food served was delicious! Rooms are spacious enough and very clean - no housekeeping during our stay, but this is not a resort, its a guesthouse so have not expected it. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: top right room have the best view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L0velyb0y
Reviewed 22 March 2013

It was pretty foolish of me to just stay here for just 24 hours. Nevertheless, I am more than happy to have spend that time in Happy Life Maldives.
Refreshing environment, good food, friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms is what you will find here.
You can also interact with the friendly local islanders, unlike other resorts in Maldives where a resort occupy the whole island.
The guesthouse also arrange for adventure activities like dolphin watching trip, snorkeling etc.
Take a walk across the other end of the island and you can see a Frenchman who settled on the island (quite some time back) and helping the islanders with his Engineering expertise.
The private beach is amazing...you can probably spend the entire day (and also night) on the beach itself.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank shijojo22
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I highly recommend this lodge to all friends as you will be in paradise surrounded by new long time friends who truly want you to have a magnificent holiday. The three meals/day were superb-better cooking than I could possibly muster. The decor of the rooms is a mix of Maldivian & modern-quite nice, well thought out. This lodge allows tourists to walk around the island and witness day to day Maldivian activities. The locals are friendly-please respect them and their culture as I witnessed a topless bather at the beach! For you surfers, there is a surf board available & for those who kayak, there's a double kayak available as well as snorkel gear. The snorkeling & dolphin excursion will satisfy your need to reconnect with sea life. This was a great holiday & offered more than the resorts as my experience at resorts has been meeting folks who are too much like myself. Awesome, awesome, all around awesome! Ask for the rooms upstairs as they offer an ocean view.

Room Tip: Try your best to arrive as early as possible into Male, go to the tourist info desk & ask where...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank LatinaGlobeTrotter
Reviewed 18 January 2013

One of the best place we have ever been to. The guesthouse is cosy and small with family atmosphere, rooms are nice and clean and provide everything you need. The location is great, the guests actually have their beautiful private beach only 20m walk from the guesthouse.

The staff and all local people are very friendly, hospitable and kind and make you feel like at home. We have been to several trips which turned out to be such a wonderful experience, including dolphin watching, snorkelling and fishing. The food is simply delicious with a lot of fresh vegetables, fruit and fish. Moreover, the staff prepared unforgettable goodbye dinner for us, which was a perfect end of our holiday.

Once again, thanks to Hassan for hospitality, chef Umar for delicious food and Rushh for amazing photo sessions. We can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
0.0 km away
Dhiffushi White Sand Beach Hotel
Dhiffushi White Sand Beach Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dhiffushi Island

Been to Happy Life Maldives Lodge? Share your experiences!