“When You Say Nothing At All...”
Review of COMO Cocoa Island

COMO Cocoa Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The search for the 'Perfect' location began with a thought - somewhere rare with privacy and beauty. Then, add the ingredient of spacious surround, nature and a 'WOW' factor; we have set our foundation of uniqueness.

That uniqueness turned out to be COCOA ISLAND.

I never expected much more than what I expected, but got more. I never wanted much more than what I wanted, but got more and more!

You see: what I expected was a resort that would allow me to take my girlfriend to propose to. And, what I simply wanted was for her to say 'Yes!'.

As they say: 'more is less'. But, fortunately this statement does not apply to me and my fiancé! I have found a resort that have simply imprinted significant mark in our lives. Cocoa Island has cast a spell of beauty and magical wonder that have forever changed our lives. I forever, have become a better 'engaged man'.

No matter how much I write to enhance my pleasant experience at Cocoa Island, no words can express than the physical experience of been there. Words are just words - they come and they go. Experiencing Cocoa Island yourself is forever imprinted in your life.

I am in debt to the wonderful staff of Cocoa Island. To be firstly greeted at the airport by the Front Desk Assistant, Siyam was a delight. Then, meeting the beautiful and amazing personality of Gustini was a treated for both of us.

Throughout our 4-night stay at Cocoa Island, we were previlege to meet so many great people. From the Food & Beverage Manager, Chris who organized my marriage proposal dinner on the sandbank. To, Jaya (Waiter for the evening) that took extraordinary effort to keep us happy. To, Juni who can pleasant message to relieve any stress. To, Harti who can offer you endless amount of surprises at the gift shop. To, Eka and Moosa that kept our stomach fulfilled throughout our stay.

There were so many more people at Cocoa Island that were not acknowledge here. To those unnamed - a big Thank You!

In concision, there is one thing certain - we shall 100% certainly return for our 1-year anniversary. Then, the second, the third, the four and again and again and...

P.S. I think I have said too much! Would I recommend Cocoa Island as a definite place of destination?! I think you just need to experience it..

Thank you and see you next year!

John & Eva
John & Eva

• Stayed: October 2012
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Dear John & Eva

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us and congratulations again on your engagement.

We are indeed very privileged to have been part of this wonderful occasion and are ready to celebrate many anniversary to come!

Your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence. Thank you again for your patronage and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Congratulations again!

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I have just returned home after a blissful 5 night stay at Cocoa Island. I won't attempt to put into words how magical Cocoa is.......just take the most glowing review on trip-advisor and amplify it !
As a regular guest at other Como properties, in Particular the Como Shambhala Estate in Bali, my expectations were high. They were certainly met in fact exceeded.
I travelled alone and did not once feel uncomfortable or out of place -given the Maldives reputation as a honeymoon haven.
Snorkelling was great food was Delicious (I like that you can view the menu on the properties website)
I was made to feel truly welcome by all the staff and management and would like to offer my gratitude and respect to all those who made my stay in paradise simply perfect !
Thankyou to Pramod for teaching your authentic truth- you are a fantastic yoga teacher !
Moussa for your outstanding bar tendering
Adil & Ramesh for making me feel like a queen at breakfast, lunch and dinner !
Eka for your fine attention to detail
Netra for the superb massage treatments you gave throughout my stay !
And to all of you who's names I have not mentioned I shall long remember your warmth and sevice which was both caring and professional

Thankyou

I will be back !

Room Tip: I like the Loft Villa rooms best: you can swim up to your outdoors bathroom !
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Delicious108
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Dear Delicious108

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that each and every one of our team members meet your service expectations.

Your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence. Thank you again for your patronage.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We visited Coco Island in July this year. This was our second visit to Cocoa Island. It isn’t always a good idea to revisit somewhere where you have previously had a great stay because invariably you will be disappointed - not the case with Coco Island. We stayed for 14 nights this year as we considered our stay of 10 nights the previous year to be too short. We travelled with Qatar Airways and from the moment we were greeted at Male airport, we forgot about the rest of the world for 2 weeks and were cocooned in a life of luxury and pampering.

The service was 1st class and the staff could not do enough for us. They were particularly attentive to our children who absolutely loved the island. They were never bored, as you would expect they might be, being 11 and 13. In fact I can't think of a better way for children to unwind after a busy year at school. We were all able to thoroughly relax and recharge our batteries. My eldest son went scuba diving with his dad most days and my younger son and I accompanied them on the dive boat and went snorkeling. We have been to the Maldives many times but the dive sites around Coco Island are the best since it is next to channel that directs Indian Ocean currents into the South Male Atoll on a daily basis and brings with it big fish like sharks and barracudas.

The staff at the dive centre are totally professional, very friendly and went out of their way to make the experience a total pleasure. Special thanks to Lena for looking after my son. He had obtained his PADI open water diver certificate the previous year at Cocoa and was now ready to enjoy the marine life. The dive sites are all close by so he went dividing most days and saw plenty of white and grey tip reef sharks. He even managed to see manta rays at close range.

The dive centre also runs a range of complementary non-motorised water sports. This year my husband and eldest son decided to do a spot of sailing. There are 2 catamarans and guests are welcome to use them after an initial brief session with one of the instructors. The used the catamarans and explored the nearby islands and thoroughly enjoyed sailing in the sunshine. The dive centre staff always provided a first aid kit, water and a mobile phone in case the guests get too ambitious and venture out too far. Not a bad service for a complementary sport.

We stayed in the same loft villa as the previous year. The loft villas are spacious with the facilities you would expect from a 5 star resort. The island was almost full for most of our stay but you would never have guessed. You can walk around the island and hardly see another person. The design of the island means that there is lots of privacy and many guests spend their time on the spacious sun decks of their villas, overlooking the unbelievably blue sea.

This is not a place for a holiday if you want lots of noisy watersports and nightlife. The island is designed for those wanting seclusion and luxury service.

There is only one restaurant but the menu has something for everyone with a different ‘special menu’ each night as well as a comprehensive A La Carte menu. The weekly seafood buffet is fantastic with as many oyster and lobsters as you can eat. The children’s menu is good and the boys particularly enjoyed the freshly cooked pizzas. Breakfast is also excellent. There is a small buffet and a very good hot menu – I recommend the eggs benedict. The restaurant manager, Chris, was very helpful and always ready to help.

The island has an outdoor pool next to the small bar where we invariably finished the day with cocktails while the boys swam and enjoyed their mocktails. The indoor spa pool is a haven for the heat of the day where you can lay back and enjoy the resort's specialty ginger tea. There is also a small well equipped gym and complimentary yoga at sunset.

Talking about sunset, the sunset cruise was spectacular and well worth it. We sailed through schools of dolphins whilst sipping champagne.

I cannot praise the staff enough; every single one of them was brilliant. I know it is their job but they are genuinely friendly and want to get to know you. That goes for every single member of staff.

Javier, the manager was brilliant and went out of his way to make everything special. He has moved to manage a new Como hotel in Miami and I am sure it will be a resounding success with him in charge. We plan to visit him in Florida.

To conclude, I cannot rate this resort highly enough and we have already booked our 2013 visit!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear JOM_Oxford

Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary and had the most wonderful, chilled out time. Overall everything was perfect. We stayed in one of the overwater bungalows which was very private. Our room was superb with wonderful views of the lagoon - we couldn't see the resort as the bungalow was facing the other direction. The direction in which is was facing was sunrise.
We took a private boat to watch the dolphins - this is a must if you haven't done it before - truly magical with champagne and canopies!
The food in the restaurant was second to none. The service was great here too. We sat daily in the bar at sunset and had our "daily cocktail'. At cocktail hour it buy one, free one. Yes, the alcohol is expensive with the cheapest bottle being £40, but that didn't put us off. However, the room service or rather the replenishing of the mini bar was. Continually we had to ask for it to be replenished. In fact every day. There seemed to be something wrong with the mini bar replenishment? Fruits were delivered daily, housekeeping was done while we were at breakfast so why not the min bar replenishment? Sadly we drew to their attention we had an anniversary and it was overlooked. The min bar situation and the anniversary overlook have already been addressed by the hotel who followed up my comments on their comment card - thank you!

Room Tip: One bedroom villa - a must!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Dear Jane F

First of all allow me to thank you to have chosen Cocoa Island to celebrate your wedding anniversary and surely hope to greet you back on the island for many more to come!

I am ever so glad to hear your stay with us was memorable and that you have enjoyed your room and the wonderful sunset cruise sceneries Maldives have to offer.
Allow me again to apologize for the inconvenience you may have faced concerning the mini bar replenishments but I can assure you that the matter has been immediately handled by our team.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

OK, so you have heard all about how beautiful the island and resort is... so I shall skip all that except to say that it's better than the best written description you can find and a photo can't really do full justice to Cocoa Island... You really have to be there to experience it - its surreal most of the time.
I have not even left the island and I feel compelled to write an extraordinary experience I had about the service here. Everything went well, except for one dinner. After the appetisers were cleared, we waited for the mains. After 30 mins, I was getting abit restless and my agitation caught the attention of Adil and he came over to ask if everything was ok. I told him we had waited quite a while for the mains. He went to check on the status of my mains and returned to tell me that there was a miscommunication in the kitchen and that the food will be out soonest. During the rest of the wait, he apologised profusely, served us complimentary drinks and said things like such things should not have happened and he will make sure such things will not happen again. Standard procedures to calm unsatisfied guests? Think again. The next few days during all our meals, other waiters who served us took it a point to apologise further about our experience. This indicated that indeed the lessons were communicated within the hotel staff. I need to add that that was the only glitch in our otherwise perfect trip... And for that small glitch, they admitted the problem and even took steps to avoid a recurrence...
And thanks also to Siddeeq for taking us snorkeling and a very memorable fishing trip! We like the fact that only suitably big fishes are kept while the rest of the smaller ones are released and the strict limit to how much fish we can catch regardless of our success... These steps help us feel aware, responsible and closer to this beautiful place.
Those of us who are on a carefully selected holiday are always looking out for the best service. Cocoa Island can meet that demand.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank InSearchOf_71
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear InSearchOf_71

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments with us. I also would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have faced on one dinner occasion but I am glad to hear that a swift recovery was done by the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
37.8 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
7.3 km away
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
1.5 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
34.8 km away
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!