“Great Restaurant”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The King & Queen Bar
More attraction details
Owner description: Great food and fabulous service, in a relaxed, traditional country pub atmosphere - for reviews of our restaurant, please see our main listing under the West Malling Area.
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Last minute booking and they managed to squeeze us in. Very helpful friendly staff. Fabulous meal, food was brilliant and the staff first class. Very knowledgeable, helpful and attentive. Particularly impressed with the Gin choice and their correct accompaniments. Tried Opihr tonight, a oriental spiced gin!! Different and very nice

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We arrived at 5.45pm this evening to be turned away, because we were a family (with 3 children). The note on the front doors (which were locked) warned that admittance was at their discretion because of the nearby beer festival. Good, we thought. This means we can enjoy ourselves without the threat of drunk people spoiling the afternoon, and we walked round to the back entrance which was open. So, how surprised we were to find that it was actually us who were unwelcome because of our children. What made it worse was the reason given. Apparently refusing us entry wasn't because of the fear our children might be exposed to drunk people coming from the nearby beer festival (plenty of these were let in after us), it was because 'drunk parents fail to control their children' and so it was us who were deemed a risk. The person 'policing' the entrance claimed that this was on the advice of CAMRA who were apparently organising a beer festival up the road. Clearly offensive on several levels, including the assumption that my husband and I (who were actually driving, and therefore had no intention of drinking alcohol!) had been drinking and, regardless of this, were unable to parent our children. So we had two hungry, very upset children and were a family who walked away stunned at how they had been spoken to (as if they were irresponsible, incapable parents). As I explained, again to the person policing the entrance, that we would not return to this establishment, his parting comment was 'and this is exactly the attitude why we have this rule'. Totally unbelievable - I wasn't even allowed to express my incredulity and anger! Whilst still perhaps unfair, a sign on the door at the front saying 'sorry, no children this evening' may have been a better, more polite way of communicating your message today. We then wouldn't have bothered you.

1  Thank Lulabell1979
Dave D, Owner at The King & Queen Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Quite simply, I decided to operate a 'No Children Policy' from 6pm on this evening - I didn't need to give you a reason - because you continued to question my decision and then give me "attitude", I gave you my reasons - I must make it clear, that I never stated this was advice from CAMRA - I informed you that following a number of incidents last year I felt the need to call a meeting with CAMRA as they clearly did not have anyone policing those that attended their event last year - following that meeting, I put a number of strategies in place to ensure a well controlled, comfortable and problem free evening for both my customers and my team - together with the other family that have also written a negative review, you make it sound that you were not really aware of the beer festival, yet you had festival wrist bands on. There are other elements of your review that are also far from factual.
It really is not very clever to try and enhance your version of events, especially on social media - other readers clearly see through these types of review and they really do cause me no harm - and sadly for you, you've just wasted your time without any gain.
Incidentally, I'm the proprietor not "a bouncer" - I've owned and operated the business for 17 years - I know how to run my very popular village pub / restaurant!

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Attended here with friends! Food was nice not exceptional! Staff made this place, very friendly and knowledgeable! Looking forward to trying a Sunday lunch here soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2017

Arrived for dinner Friday evening 6th May 2017. Welcomed both at the bar and in the restaurant area. The specials starter of fresh whitebait was excellent. The two goats cheese salads very disappointing and difficult to tackle with a knife and fork. I asked for some French dressing to cheer mine up. Would have been better off with a small Greek salad. There was an extremely long wait for the main course When it finally arrived the lamb was really very nice. However, the Hake was not moist as would be expected, possibly held over too long; there was no sign of cheese with the potatoes. The skate was small and definitely overcooked to the point of being dry; the underside flesh could not be separated from the bone. The accompanying sauté potatoes were not really appetising - I asked for some butter as they were also dry. The fish and chips were nice but for the price charged perhaps should have been cod rather than haddock. It's a bit pretentious to add the fresh vegetables at £6 on top of already high end restaurant prices. After all, it is only a pub with paper serviettes and bare tables. Whilst the staff were generally pleasant and helpful (when available) one member let the side down with a her 'short shrift' attitude. As headlined, mixed views. On reflection, all four of us felt the menu was overpriced for a good to below average meal. There are so many better pubs in the area that none of us feel that we need to return. Incidentally, we did comment at the end of the meal regarding vegetables served with the course. We did not complain about the fish as we would have had another overlong wait and you really do need to eat all together.