Review Highlights
Sunday Roast Cruise

Fantastic trip on the Hydrogen. Highly recommended. Parking nearby on a Sunday £1.00 all day. Two... read more

Reviewed 7 October 2018
riverswimmer
Essex, United Kingdom
via mobile
Excellent Trip with lunch

Wonderful historic barge. Anyhow first things first. Booking online was straightforward. Parking... read more

Reviewed 28 September 2018
sally l
Braintree, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews tower bridge ploughman's lunch the galley well stocked bar afternoon tea below deck cake safety briefing hour trip the river biscuits barge trip ham birthday present wedding reception seafood platter cream tea
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful day my 88 year old parents had on Kitty. We all enjoyed ourselves. Friendly helpful crew. Amazing cream tea. Thank you ladies.

The only reason 5 stars is not given is a little helpful information such as for the elderly a cushion to take to sit on would of made my parents trip so much more comfortable

2  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

We were privileged to spend a day on the sailing vessel, Kitty, for a corporate event. The crew couldn’t have been more helpful and accommodating. They started with a thorough safety briefing, followed by a delicious lunch meal. There was an open bar with a full complement of options, served by Sue, a most friendly bartender. The rest of the crew were always available, as well.

The weather was perfect, and the crew was able to raise the sails and actually make it into a sailing day, as S/V Kitty was built to do.

I highly recommend a day on Kitty.

3  Thank lilb_11
Reviewed 12 July 2018

We have been on a Topsail day cruise before but that was on a cold blustery day but this was a pure joy with pefect weather. What better way to spend a hot sunny day than on a Thames sailing barge cruising along under full sail? Of course the tides have to work for a day long cruise, outward on a moring high tide, back into Maldon on the next evening tide.

The crew did everything to make for a perfect day for the forty or so passengers there were plenty of places to sit above or below decks. If you were sitting in the centre or foredeck you needed to duck when the sail boom came across during tacking.

At a cost of £65 per head with a light breakfast, morning coffee and biscuits, a cooked lunch, afternoon tea, then toward the end of the cruise homemade soup and bread all included in the price add in twelve hours cruising and that to our mind is exceptional value. There is a fairly well stocked bar with pub prices and free chilled water was available all day.

Skipper Paul had plenty of knowledge to impart about the river and Thames barges.

1  Thank AnneAlan46
Reviewed 11 July 2018

My wife and I boarded the historic Thames sailing barge 'Hydrogen' on the quay at Maldon on Sunday for my belated birthday present - a full day aboard the barge sailing down the Blackwater estuary and along to the Colne estuary.
The weather was absolutely perfect - sunshine and gentle breezes which picked up a little as we passed Osea Island and allowed skipper Paul and mate Sam to set the sails and allow 'Hydrogen' to heel gently and pick up speed to between 3 and 4 knots - a brilliant experience.
We spent more than 12 hours aboard the boat and were extremely well looked after by our hostess, Bethany, and caterers Kim and Beth. Breakfast shortly after we left the quay consisted of bread and jam with tea or coffee and that was just the start of a procession of delicious food breaks including tea and biscuits, cake, a lovely lunch of chicken, new potatoes, courgettes and carrots followed by chocolate brownies with a fruit topping and cream. As the day wore on, we were treated to more cake and then, as the barge headed back up the Blackwater, lentil soup and bread - is was a culinary tour de force!
'Hydrogen' built in 1906, is the largest Thames barge still sailing at 94-feet in length and a 22-foot beam. She weighs around 88 tonnes. So you can imagine my delight at being allowed to take the helm on part of her homeward journey. Skipper Paul was there to offer advice to anyone who wanted to steer the boat and, for me, as a small boat sailor, being able to get the feel of handling such a beautiful historic craft was a real highlight.
I can't speak highly enough of our day spent aboard 'Hydrogen'. Everything was so well-planned and the crew were all fantastic. It cost £130 for the two of us and I think that is remarkable value.
If you love the sea, history, good company and delicious food, book a day sail aboard Hydrogen - a birthday present I will always remember.

1  Thank morts32
Reviewed 11 July 2018

My husband and I with our son and daughter went for a two hour barge trip which included a delicious cream tea. The weather was perfect and the crew including the ladies who served the cream tea were helpful and friendly..
The Captain was very informative and we learnt a lot about the history of the Thames barges. We enjoyed it so much that we are planning another trip with friends in the next few weeks.

Date of experience: June 2018