“A run down type of Disneyland”

Ueno German Culture Village
Ranked #127 of 157 things to do in Miyakojima
Reviewed 18 November 2016

Visit this place only if you have nothing else to do. It is deserted, nobody was there during our visit, and now I understand why: there is nothing to see. To visit the castle you have to pay 750 Yen entrance fee, only to see some German costumes. On ground floor you may purchase Boklunder sausages from Slesvig-Holstein and Lowenbrau from Munich. That's it.
There is a big palace, erected in Brabant style,, evidently years ago used as a hotel; now closed. The whole village lets you in a miserable impression.

1  Thank atalantaBergamo

Reviewed 11 October 2016

The Castle was dated and of small scale, not much to see in the village. But do take a walk along the path to go to the waterfront where you could take a nice shot of the Castle.

Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

I would suggest you visit here only if you have absolutely nothing to do on this beautiful island. It's a shame that they built a replica of a castle and grandeur hotel only to be run down. The hotel is closed and castle is so isolated that it reminded me of haunted mansion. There is part of Berlin Wall too but you can see this without paying too. I would not suggest this place at all. However kids play park was nice

1  Thank geekmomtokyo
Reviewed 22 October 2014

I'm not saying it was bad that we only ran into another couple wandering on the site, but it was quite odd to see so many buildings without other people around. It reminded me of what Disneyland could be like if they took out all the rides and costumes.

The buildings were nice.. we got here right before sunset. Everything seemed closed. We walked around a bit and found a fun playground for kids and adults, and then ended up at the cliff watching the sunset. Not a bad way to go about your afternoon as a couple avoiding crowds.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We showed up on a Saturday evening around 5 to look around. Hmm. Not much to see. We were told the one -- one! -- restaurant was closed for remodeling. I wonder if it'll ever reopen. The guides and websites don't seem to tell the whole story here. Looked to us like the glory days have passed. Maybe we just came in the wrong month, but I wouldn't be planning a visit until someone assured me of more action than we found.

We strolled around, almost entirely by ourselves. Some kids were out in center of the park hitting and chasing a hardball baseball. That tells you about the number of people there. Baseball in the middle of a cultural park? Walked past one impressive building overlooking an inlet that, we surmised, must have been an elegant, stand-alone hotel once, perhaps during the days of the bubble. But it looked like it had been shuttered for five-plus years. Some big money went into this place once. I guess it drained out like water at low tide.

Like in other recreated Europe-styled villages in Japan (we thought of Huis ten Bosch near Sasebo, in Nagasaki-ken), this is a period park with nice grounds and a series of shops fitting the German theme. Some hotels are part of the grounds, and they seemed to be fine and operating. One trinket shop on the grounds was open, and it had some bottles of German beer, which looked inviting for someone who wanted to have a very quiet time sitting at some outside tables with nothing much to do.

So when you read about this village as a fun place to go, you might want to realize that the words were written a while back. We liked Miyako-jima a lot, but we could see that tourism is a bit slow, at least for now. If you like to avoid tourists, this is your place and time.

2  Thank SeekingGoodService