“A bit of history, worth a look, but perhaps not a detour”

St. Leonard's Tower
Reviewed 24 August 2018

I visited St. Leonard's tower with my son (Leonard) as we were in the area and because I told him it was once owned by someone with his name. There's not much parking, but we parked on the road just down from the tower and made the short walk up the hill to see it. My son really enjoyed seeing it and we talked about who might have lived there and what it might have been for. There's not much information at the site, but then not much is known about the history of the ruin. I thought it was a shame that we could not go inside the tower, but even so, it was a good way to spend half an hour and it was fun for both me and my little boy. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if you want to break a journey from further afield, it's a little bit of history and the walk up the hill with stretch your legs.

Date of experience: July 2018

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Visited St Leonard’s Tower after visiting the park just across the road..
Worth a quick look around, but during my visit there was very little access (I don’t think it’s open to the public inside)
Standing tall, can be seen from afar.. the grounds around were left over grown and I looked after, which was a shame.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Nobody seems to be sure what the tower was used for. It does not look as though it was part of the castle. Built circa 1100, it is a sturdy, impressive reminder of Norman architecture . Historians tend to believe it was a watch tower guarding the approach of the town - or maybe it was used to collect tolls.

Surrounded by tall grasses and wild flowers, it is a peaceful and delightful spot. We were the only visitors. The place felt haunted.

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

It’s true - there’s not a lot to see. It is just a single tower but it is visually impressive. It’s not a day trip but it’s worth a small detour if you’re in the area. West Malling is a very pretty village and there’s a nice country park just down the road so these would all combine into a good visit.