The Zuri Kumarakom
Taj Hotels
USD 288*
Kumarakom Lake
  • Breakfast included
Abad Whispering Palms Lake Resort(Kumarakom)(Great Value!)
USD 84*
Backwater Retreat Theme House(Kumarakom)(Great Value!)
USD 38*
Paradise Resorts(Kumarakom)
Cocobay Resort(Kumarakom)
  • Restaurant
1,485 results
All reviewsmaya spalime treelaguna basspresidential pool villabamboo raftingman made lagoonvembanad lakeartificial lagoonpaddle boatingswimming poolstar resortoutdoor showergames roomhigh teabeautiful propertythe cottagesspeed boat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 March 2012

One of the Best Resort in the God own Country ! Quiet peaceful Resort for a Family , Excellent Big ,Clean Rooms, Our Kids loved the pool & Delicious food were Served at the Restaurant ,Did Backwater Ride on a small speedy boat owned by the resort for three hours The boat driver was very Professional and Helpful took us in the narrow canal v loved the ride, All the staff were very Friendly & Helpful, Awesome place & will highly Recommend for staying for all of u ! Will visit it again in future & this time for longer stay :).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
sarat_valsraj, Executive Assistant Manager at The Zuri Kumarakom, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us have your comments with regards to your recent stay at The Zuri Kumarakom Resort and Spa.
Feedback is an essential tool that we use in our business to ensure that the levels of guest satisfaction we provide maintain and enhance the proud reputation that is synonymous with The Zuri brand.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in near future.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed at the Zuri in Feb'12 during my honeymoon. What I can say is it is a pure delight to stay here. Right from the time I stepped out of the Kochi airport everything was taken care graciously by the hotel. Food is fantastic, and so is the lovely ambience around the hotel. A plush 20 acre property right on the shore of Vembanad Lake. I would highly recommend this property to anyone who needs to take a break from their hectic daily life. A special mention to the superb speed boat ride which can be availed from the hotel for an hour for a price of 1000 rupees. Simply superb is what I can say about Zuri, Kumarakom. A bit pricey for sure but worth every penny.

Room Tip: Go for a Deluxe cottage. It is just by the lagoon and a bathroom space to die for :) ....the outdoor shower just takes your breath away
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Siddharth R
michael s, General Manager at The Zuri Kumarakom, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Congratulations on your wedding and yes the speed boat ride is exhilarating all activities on the lake makes us aware of gods own country

Reviewed 19 March 2012

My biggest regret is that we arrived late in the evening. If earlier, we would have soaked in the paradise that was Zuri. The rooms were well appointed with all the international mod cons. The atmosphere was to die for. Good food at the restaurant. The staff was very helpful but not as helpful as those in our previous resort in cardamom County. The ambiance was superb especially during our late night and early morning walks. The internet facility and speed was the best during our entire holidays.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This hotel was extraordinary for its setting, lagoon view and gardens. It was a tranquil, beautifully maintained hotel in which i thoroughly enjoyed. The staff were very attentive and interested in my trip. The food in the buffet offered a wide range of choice and was of good quality. I would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting this region.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

we now have the new sea food specialities and I hope that soon I can say WELCOME BACK

Reviewed 18 March 2012

It has been almost a week since I returned from my second vacation in Kumarakom and the first one at Zuri resorts. I had been waiting for this vacation for a long time and because on my previous visit to Kumarakom, we had lunch at the Zuri and decided to come back and stay here on our next trip. My family and I love the backwaters considering it’s our second trip to the same place in a span of 2 years.
This time however, our vacation was made extra special by our friends at Zuri, even though we were travelling with both our kids (4 yr old son & 1 yr old daughter). The flight from Delhi to Cochin is pretty long and tiring especially if you are travelling with 2 young children, and then another 2 hour drive from the Cochin airport to Zuri, Kumarakom takes a toll on you. But, the fatigue ends as soon as you enter the gates of this amazing property situated right on the Vembanad Lake. We checked in on a Friday afternoon and the hostess was ready to receive us with a tray of fragranced hand towel even before we alighted from our car. The kids instantly took a liking for the place and ran inside the spacious & airy lobby of the resort.

Check in – We were booked for 4 nights in a Presidential Pool villa and they gave us one of the best ones (# 401), with complete privacy and very close to the restaurant block. We were served Cococnut water in hand-weaved baskets, while the hostess checked us in. The total process took lesser time than we did to finish our coconut water and we were greeted by other Manager’s and staff and briefed about the activities available at the resort. We were taken to our Villa in a club car (which the children absolutely loved taking rides on) and it was close to perfect with its simple yet contemporary decor.

The Villa – 401, is one of the best located villas due to its privacy and proximity to the restaurant block. The pool villas have an entrance porch, which leads you to the main door, opening out into a spacious living & dining room. This space has its own LCD television and a toilet with a shower cubicle. The living room opens out to the private pool and lawn. The mini-bar is well stocked and replenished daily. The bedroom is right next to the living room and has another LCD television with a DVD player. It can be separated from the living area by a sliding double wooden door. The bedroom also opens out to the private pool and lawn. The other side of the bedroom leads to a dresser and then to the main toilet. The main toilet is very spacious with 2 wash basins on a large stone counter, a bath tub, a shower cubicle, a WC and a bidet. The highlight however for me was the open to sky shower area which is accessible from the shower cubicle. The fittings in the bathroom are very contemporary (Grohe) and very efficient.

The notable thing was that the staff had been informed that it was my wife’s birthday. So on entering the villa she was greeted by a bunch of flowers and an amazing chocolate truffle cake. The staff had also taken the liberty of preparing a foam bath along with rose petals (which was very welcome after a long tiring day for her).

The Private pool – The infinity pool is 4 feet deep at its max. Depth and has a Jacuzzi area along with jets. So with little kids you have to be careful or use arm bands and tubes. Wooden decking and grass pavers surround the pool area along with 2 boat shaped lounge chairs for resting (I actually fell asleep on one of them one afternoon). The pool area opens out into a nice private lawn with coconut trees all around. The lawn looks onto the main lake (Lake Vembanad) and you can spend hours sitting by the pool looking at the fishermen and houseboats go by (the only downside for the people who want extreme privacy is that the people on the boats can also look into the pool for the time they are passing by).

I cannot find the words to describe the experience of sitting by the pool with your feet dipped in the water and watching the water and boats for hours, but I can definitely say that it was such a surreal experience that we spend majority of our time doing exactly this. We never got out of the gates of the resorts for the 4 days we stayed, which goes to prove how much we enjoyed our stay inside.

Service – The differentiator which made our vacation all the more memorable was the service and the staff of the resort. They went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and treated us and even other guests like VIP’s. Kudos should be given to the GM (who at the time of our stay although was out of town, has created such high standards of service) for the impeccable service given to us by his staff. Our butler for the villa, Pramod, was really efficient and made sure everything we desired was made available to us.

Our tariff for the villa included, buffet breakfast and dinners, so the first night when we reached the restaurant, we were surprised to see that there was no buffet. I was a little disappointed when the staff told me that we could order al-a-carte (because you can never get that choice when ordering). The executive chef Kuntal and Sree at the restaurant assured me that they would get us anything on the menu which we desired, even if I just want to taste it, which was quite out of the ordinary (considering I had the meal already included in the package). In fact they made sure that we got everything we desired at our table and Kuntal even made special Kerala style prawn curry for me with Appams. Pramod was always around to ask us if things were going as we desired.

The surprise was Chef Kuntal & Sree’s suggestion for a bar-be-que at our private lawns for the following (Saturday) night. The arrangement for the dinner much exceeded our expectations. When we returned from our sunset cruise that evening, we were amazed to see a well laid-out table for 4, which proper crockery and cutlery, a chef & bar-be-que station, and Pramod over seeing the arrangements. As the sun set, to our surprise they switched on green LED lights all around the garden which they had decorated while we were gone. The food and menu decided by Chef was perfect and considering my wife is vegetarian and I am a non vegetarian, they managed to create a lot of choices for both our palates. It was a very special evening for us.

The next night thy surprised us again with a Sadhya, an authentic Kerala style meal, on a
banana leaf. The food was again different and they staff and chef again had out done themselves. The food at Zuri is awesome and the restaurant staff go out of their way to make you feel special.

Siby at the breakfast was always his gracious self and even the day we checked out he made sure he got some sandwiches and muffins packed for us for our long journey ahead. The chef prepared a khicdi (a preparation of rice and lentils in ghee) for the kids every afternoon which was delivered on time at our room. The just wanted to make sure we had an amazing experience and above all for the food and milk they arranged for the kids they never billed us for them (except for one time when a waiter by mistake sent us a bill for the Khicdi which the manager immediately reverted and apologized).

The Spa – I never used the Spa, but my wife did use it for one session. She however felt that the high service standards set by the restaurant staff and the rest of the hotel did not reflect in the service at the Spa. When everything else is impeccably perfect, even a minor miss in service and value cannot go un-noticed. As mentioned to us, if this is one of the largest spas and Zuri is a spa destination, the value and service quality should supersede the high standard of quality set at the rest of the resort.

Another recommendation to the hotel would be maintenance and re-polishing of furniture especially in the pool villas as they do face a lot of wear and tear due to water. The corners and edges of a lot of teak furniture definitely require regular re-polishing.

I have read reviews criticizing service or food, sometimes even the presence of insects. I have travelled extensively, and when you choose to stay at a resort like this which is part of the nature, you should be happy that nature comes to your doorstep. You can always protect yourself from insects and mosquitoes, but the overall experience of being close to nature is priceless. As for the service, we must consider that everyone has their share of good and bad days. As long as we are patient, the staff always does its job to the best of their ability.

Overall, staying at Zuri was a near perfect vacation for my family and me. For us Zuri was the destination itself not just another hotel where we came back from a long day of sight-seeing. Zuri is a dream destination with high standards of service and an exotic location. A perfect blend of contemporary and the traditional

We would love to go back there again!!!

Room Tip: The Presidential pool villas are the best, try to book in advance and get one away from the port jetty. 401 is highly recommended.
2  Thank EMM_KAYY

A true traveller and your comments are appreciated. As a senior trip adviser you know that where ever possible we love to make your stay wonderful. You also proved that pre planning and communicating your wishes and desired is the best way to achieve your goals.
It is our constant aim to improve and listen to your comments. For your information we have now new lake cruises and activities planed for the coming year. WELCOME BACK soon.