My review is going to be a mixed bag. After having read all the other gushing reviews of this property, I would not give the same gushing review. After having paid the stiff rates, I expect better value for my money and the resort needs to earn its 5 star billing.
We love staying at any Taj property. Kumarakom is no exception. The location on the shores of Lake Vembanad is just perfect. The day we arrived, the hotel was experiencing some technical problem, so our villa was without water and electricity. Of course, they set it right in 30-45 minutes but it was annoying not to be able to use the bathroom after a long car journey.
We stayed in a room with the private pool at the edge of the property. Needless to say, my son had a fantastic time in the pool. If one is planning a holiday in Kumarakom do splurge a little and book the private pool room. It is worth it. The bathroom is glamorous with an outdoor rain shower, looks good but is not user friendly or convenient. The loo is placed in a tight corner with no health faucet and there are too many creepy crawlies because of the outdoor theme. It can be disconcerting to find a spider climbing up your bath towel as you reach for it after your shower.
The room we stayed in did not have a ceiling fan. So the Air conditioning had to be switched on all night as it was the only means of cooling the room. All of us got up with a headache the next morning due to the non stop air conditioning. Everything else was great. The staff were so courteous and helpful. They just couldn't do enough for you. The only glitch in the whole experience would be the food. I am not complaining about the taste or quality of food. IT was great as keeping with the tradition of the Taj. It was the cost versus the quantity. The portions were teeny weeny as opposed to the cost of the food. We have stayed in several Taj properties before, but nowhere have we ever felt we were being practically robbed!! Atrocious prices for minuscule microscopic portions. Other than this, top star billing for this property. A lovely and relaxing property.
Would we come back? I would have to say yes, for the simple reason nobody in India does hospitality the Taj way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kumarakom is a popular tourist destination in the Kottayam district of Kerala. Located on the picturesque Vembanad Lake, Vivanta by Taj - Kumarakom, Kerala, is a 30-minute drive from the Kottayam railway station or an hour's drive from Cochin city. Kerala's backwaters surround the 140-year old colonial bungalow which houses this resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoftTaj, Booking.com, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Kumarakom reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Kumarakom Hotel Kumarakom
- Taj Garden Retreat Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Taj Garden Retreat
- Vivanta By Taj - Kumarakom Kerala