1,598 results
All reviewsfishevery nightst luciamarigot baybotanical gardensrented a carti kaye resortrainy seasonpublic beachcaribbean seagros pitonanse le rayepineappleplunge poolour honeymoonoutdoor showerthe cottages
Reviewed 3 March 2018

We keep returning to Ti Kaye for the peace and tranquillity plus the great food and wine. In addition, Ti Kaye has a PADI dive centre (keeping one of us very happy) and a delightful spa (keeping the other very happy too!).

We love the Ti Kaye cottages which are very private and spread out in the lovely gardens and forest of this cliff top resort. There is no better start to your day than sitting in your rocking chair on the terrace of your room with a coffee looking out over the bay whilst little bullfinches eat crumbs from your hand. You’ll see humming birds methodically working their way round a bougainvillea and the magnificent frigate birds tracking the local fishermen.

The menu in the main restaurant changes daily and is supervised by Denis, a French chef with an impressive CV. Make sure you don’t miss out on the weekly Fish Dinner served at the beach restaurant which is transformed at night with beautiful table settings and candlelight. A saxophonist playing on the balcony completes the ambiance. We also enjoyed a dinner on the viewing deck beside the bar – this again was a magical experience and should be a must for honeymooners.

The team at the dive centre are super-friendly and most of the diving is from the hotel’s own dive boat with small groups. This ensures that you can visit the best sites around St Lucia including the well known Superman’s Flight and Fairyland close to Soufriere. There is also a wreck and some really good diving in and around the bay where Ti Kaye is situated.

We booked Ti Kaye directly and it was simplicity itself. The resort website seems to have regular special offers and the email dialogue at the time of booking was quick and efficient. Ti Kaye will also arrange transfers from/to the airport – within 30 mins of landing we were in the transport heading for the hotel. On the day we left we were able to keep our room until mid-afternoon and enjoyed the superb Tuna Nicoise salad for lunch washed down with a bottle of Provence Rosé combined with the sublime view from the main restaurant. We really didn’t want to leave….

From Mrs B: I had done the therapy for not returning to Ti Kaye as this was our third visit and it’s a very big world. However, after the first spa treatment with no whale music and just the sound of the ocean I was starting to waver. Fast forward 10 days, several treatments later including an idyllic “hot stones” and I had completely changed my mind. Now it’s “roll on the Virgin Atlantic sale” and see you again soon Shanfar!!

Room Tip: Cottages with pools are very private and worth the extra
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andy_1950
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hi Andy, Kath.

Thank you for your very kind and detailed review.

I haven't got a lot to say actually. As you've been here a few times everything you wrote is correct! From your review, Ti Kaye sounds like an idyllic place where Sarah and I would want to stay :-)

Thanks to Mrs. B for her comments. Delighted the Spa team managed to keep her happy - so you could go diving Andy!

Reviewed 1 March 2018

Everything about this place is barely average. Not sure what the hype is about. Definitely not a luxury boutique hotel. Great pictures, however the pics are not reflective of the property. I have to say that this was the most disorganized dissemination of information and activities. I asked 4 people the same question about a few hotel activities, and received 4 entirely different answers. Provided incorrect days of beach bbq, managers cocktail party and other events. The cottages were Average and VERY v POOR beach service. Had to get own towels, beach chairs covered with sand...and actually felt a little dirty. When I asked to have the ocean round lounger to be out in the water...I asked 3-4 times, no one put it in the ocean. No response, Had to pay for a tv as I like to watch the olympics. Really.? At over $450 I have to pay for a tv too.? Save your money, and find a hotel that has the service that a REAL boutique hotel can offer.

Room Tip: Find another place
2  Thank Paulalan

Hello Paulalan,

Thank you for your review. It will of course be discussed at out next Management meeting.

We did have some rough seas during your stay and when that happens we cannot put out the ocean round loungers (water hammocks) due to safety reasons. Also we cannot give out the kayaks or paddle boards. Maybe that was why they were not out?

We are so sorry that you did not enjoy yourselves at Ti Kaye.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

We celebrated Valentine’s Day at Ti Kaye and had a terrific week. We stayed in a cabin with a plunge pool and it was fantastic. Great view of the water, wide porch with a hammock and of course outdoor shower.
The food and service were excellent. The menu changed daily and portions were big.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly. (Loved the beach dudes).
The beach was nice and while quite a few snorkeling boats came in they never infringed on the Ti Kaye area.
Overall a great stay. We highly recommend it . If you are not interested in quiet this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Plunge pool cabins are directly overlooking the water.
1  Thank Mike C

Hello Mike C,

Thank you for your kind review.

When your looking for another relaxing (quiet) vacation, please let us know!

Reviewed 1 March 2018

First impressions are so important right? Well, Ti Kaye has first impressions nailed. Just before you arrive, you turn off the very windy west coast St Lucian roads and launch yourself into a rutted track that appears to wind through rain forest. Whilst many review have criticised the driveway, for it is a 1 mile bumpy bumpy drive, I found it intriguing and exciting. It felt like we were leaving civilisation behind and entering a haven bursting with wildlife.

The receptionist greeted us with a broad smile and the warmest of welcomes whilst we settled in the reception / dining area with quite simply the most spectacular views over the Caribbean Sea. Perched on the top of a small cliff, the sea stretches on and on. After an 8 hour flight and a 1.5 transfer, this was a great start.

Once registered, you are put back in a van and driven to your room. Even though my wife and I had booked a room in the cheap seats, we could still see and hear the ocean, albeit the view was broken up by many trees. Still glorious though.

The room has a very large porch, with 2 rocking chairs and a huge hammock, which just screams out, “chill time”. A large bed, artfully positioned to allow you to see the ocean through the double doors when you awake. A large walk in wardrobe, in door bathroom and an outside shower with its own tropical garden, finish off the first impressions. Wow right? What a choice. Well sadly sometimes first impressions are all you get. Ti Kaye is that exciting first date who looks great but collects stamps and has a nasal accent.

The Staff
Now, I know that I am in the Caribbean and that means things move at a gentler pace. I get that , but there’s gentle and then there’s sloth. I swear that I saw several new plant species evolve whilst waiting for a drink. Now 99% of the staff were all friendly and very pleasant. Always saying thank you and wishing you a nice day whilst they gently moved around. The other 1% clearly hated their job and people in general. At the beach sometimes someone would arrive and ask you if you wanted a drink, mostly you had to cross back over the river to the beach bar to get one, not very chill! At the pool they didn’t bother at all, you always had to go to the restaurant to get anything. What all the staff lacked was proper training and there seemed to be a huge lack of front of house management ensuring a smooth and efficient ship. An example, at our first dinner, we had our rolls and butter placed in front of us and were told that there was a different butter each day. Then came the grand unveiling of an ‘amuse bouche’. Again we were told that this would be different each day. In reality, several times the amuse bouchée didn’t arrive at all or was plonked on the table as the waitress then walked off without saying anything at all. Once it arrived before dessert! All of these issues could be fixed by some reasonable front of house management.

The Food
As we are already talking about food let’s discuss that now. 2 restaurants, one at the beach which was more rustic beach bar. The food was burgers, fresh fish, salads and pizzas. Sat right on the edge of the ocean the lunches were very nice. Up at the main restaurant then the food became a odd mix of French / Creole cooking. I understand the influence the French have had on this part of the world, but I found the food, confusing and overly rich. I often struggled to find anything to fit my palate. To be fair though many reviews have been enthused so it may just be me. The menu did change daily but often the same proteins and sauces were just being re packaged with differing veg or salad. It became boring very quickly. On our last day the restaurant closed for lunch and all staff disappeared for the day. Nobody in the lounge, bar or restaurant. If you wanted a drink during the day you had to ask reception or climb down the 166 steps to the beach bar, and then back up the steps to the pool!

The Room
I have already described it but thought a few things become an issue once you get passed the first impressions. The bed is huge and rock hard. I didn’t sleep well and found my back or hip ached in the morning depending on my sleeping position. The pillows , you get 2 each, whilst looking plump actually evaporate into thin strips of salami when you rest your weary head. Neck joined my back and hip in having a good moan. The outside shower with a tropical garden looks nice but when you have lots of rain, as we did, you need to time your shower. But hang on, I hear you cry, you are already getting wet in the shower so what’s the problem with rain? Well, the water was never that hot, so chuck in cloudy sky, cold rain and sometimes thunder and lightening. I think we deserved a medal some days. The rocking chairs on the porch were extremely uncomfortable. There was no back cushions and only a couple of wooden back members for support, in reality you can’t use them for very long. Whilst housekeeping did a great job in cleaning and turn down, we came back to find the room left unlocked 3 different times. Ti Kaye is an environmentally responsible hotel who are doing all the usual thing with towels etc, but the best bit is they recycle all their own water so no plastic bottles, you can, and I did, drink the water coming out of the tap.

The Pool
With all the rain we had, we used the pool several times as it was easier to dodge the rain. The beds and umbrellas are ok but the bed cushions are tired and need changing. Stains and tears are not very attractive. The entire pool area is grassed and it became extremely muddy because of all of the rain, which also kept the pool very cold. The pool looks tired too as the tiles and other parts are looking stained, and it is a very small pool, but great views over the sea.

The beach
Yes it is a lot of steps down, and they are still there when you come back up. It is a beautiful beach though. You can be driven down and back if you prefer. As with the pool the beach loungers are tatty and need renewing but it still an idyllic position. Much is made of the reefs and fish but, to be honest, I found it underwhelming but I have been lucky enough to snorkel in some of the best sets in the world. With the poor weather the sea was very rough for most days so the visibility was also a bit limited but it was still very nice. This is a public beach with 2 protected fish reserves and dive sites. So whilst Ti Kaye is the only hotel here you do get some day trippers. Twice a day you do get an influx from the cruise ships when about 100 people arrive to snorkel for about 1 hour. By and large though they stay at the other end of the beach from the hotel so don’t cause much of a problem. Even the beach hawkers were friendly and respectable and don’t hassle you endlessly to buy tat.

The Price
My wife and i went all inclusive which was a great decision. Most food, except the steaks, are included as are some really good local and international drinks. Booking All Inclusive was the smartest thing we ever did as we didn’t meet anyone else on it and quite a few people we met were unhappy at how pricey everything was. For example having the steak at dinner was an additional $39US The hotel effectively has a captive market as it isn’t easy to go out for dinner or drinks and it felt like they capitalised on it. We stayed 1 week and by my calculations we saved over £300 by going all inclusive. When it did come to settle our bill we discovered that we had been charged for several items that were meant to be included as part of the all inclusive package. By the time we had finished going through the bill, which took 3 attempts before we had got everything removed, we had saved ourselves just over $120 US. Considering the bill started at $300US that was a 33% overcharge! So be careful and scrupulously check your final bill.

In summary, I really wanted to love this hotel and the packaging looks great. But once you look passed the fancy bows and ribbons, it’s a 4 star hotel, that wants to be a 5 star but felt more like a 3 star. With better management, in front of house and generally, and a freshen up, this hotel could be amazing as it first appeared to be.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikeT81

Dear MikeT81,

We were all very disappointed to read your review and apologize for not meeting your expectations.

We've had several other reviews, both before and after yours (and likely from people who were here at the same time as you) that gave us 5/5 on staff, food etc. As I have said before, each person is unique and individual and of course has their own opinion, tastes, style etc.

At times we do have urgent maintenance work that needs doing, but if we need to close the pool for the day, or a restaurant, there are always several signs around property informing guests. We are sorry that the restaurant being closed for one day was an inconvenience for you.

Apologies also for the weather not being at it's best whilst you were here wish us, and the sea being a bit rough. I agree it does impact on a vacation.

Thank you or your review, it will help us work on continual improvements.

We hope you enjoy your next vacation more.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went for a long weekend visit to celebrate our anniversary. We found the resort to be very rustic and gorgeous and loved our cottage with private plunge pool. The room was clean and comfortable, getting turn down service every night was lovely and we enjoyed the ability to make french press coffee and tea in our room before breakfast. This place is all about the views and they are stunning! We had read lots of reviews beforehand so we were expecting the potholes to get up into the resort, all of the steps and the tour boats stopping at the beach. We didn’t find any of it to hinder our good time. The staff was excellent and very friendly and attentive. The food was delicious and menu items are labelled with gluten free, dairy free and nut free options which I thought was great. My husband suffered an unexpected medical emergency that required a two night stay in the hospital and the staff did a great job of arranging transportation and checking in with me to make sure I had everything I needed. They even brought me a picnic basket of food and a change of clothes and my phone chargers! When we returned, everyone was very kind and it felt like we had “family” nearby when we were so far from home. We did not get to go on any tours due to our change in plans so we stayed in the resort for our remaining two days. Having the plunge pool and outside shower was lovely and very private but due to the very private enclosure to the plunge pool it doesn’t get much sun so it stayed too chilly to get in for long. We did book a couples massage and that was wonderful. It is a very remote location and 40 minutes from hospital, 90 minutes from airport and it seems like all of the tours were about 60 minutes away. We would definitely come back without reservation, but as lovely as the resort is I think we would probably start in a simpler hotel closer to island exploring then finish at Ti Kaye where we would settle in and relax, enjoying everything the resort has to offer.

2  Thank Anissa O
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Hello Anissa,

Thank you very much for your very kind review, especially with the medical issues that Jeff unfortunately had whilst here. I was away at the time but delighted to read that the staff took great care of you both.

Happy to also read that the kitchen managed to cater for your gluten free diet. We also have a totally separate vegetarian menu, as you said with notes on what is nut free, lactose free etc.

The room you stayed in was our top room category (so sorry you didn't really get to enjoy it), maybe when yo return you can stay in a 'simpler' room so avoiding the need to more resorts - and of course allowing you to spend more time with your second "family" :-)

We hope Jeff is much better now and we look forward to seeing you both again for another romantic (but medical issue free!) visit.