“Heaven on earth!”

GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Perfect getaway, trully paradise beach. Beautiful surroundings. The hotel is amazing- we stayed in pool beach villa and in superior villa. Superior is great and the price is nice, the villa was spacious and near the beach, the bathroom was an outdoor one- clean & tidy. The pool beach villa is stunning and worth every penny- first row on the beach, spacious pool and great roow with beautiful outdoor bathroom with bathtub. the view from the room was breathtaking. Food was great, dinner on the beach in candle light is always a good idea. The prices for minibar are lower than usual. The staff was very helpful after a small motorbike crash. One of best moments in Thailand so far!

Room Tip: The deluxe villas are on a small hill near the ponds with frogs- if you like that kind of choir, it...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your kind comments regarding our service and resort are very much valued and appreciated. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, which our guests expect. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai!

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Booked to stay for 6 nights at Glow in early January.
Unfortunately very disappointed before we even arrived.
Our boat from Phuket to the island left early and we were left stranded at a pier after getting a taxi with a very aggressive driver who tried to con us to double the fair.
We were very lucky to meet an extremely helpful man who worked at the pier who contacted the resort on our behalf after he informed us the boat had left earlier than scheduled.
After 5-6 phone calls we arranged to go by taxi to another pier to get a boat to the resort. Glow arranged for the taxi and did have someone to accompany us to the next pier.
On arriving on the island we had another 45 min car drive to the resort arranged by glow but with no communication how long it would be or an apology for the delay.
We arrived at the resort some 3 hours later than we had anticipated.
The manager who greeted us was very rude. Told us the boat had not been confirmed and continued to argue with us even after I explained that I had confirmed the boat via a member of staff in our hotel in Bangkok that morning.
No apology was given and she asked payment for the boat. This was not a large amount but it would have been a nice goodwill gesture to waive this cost.

Rooms were 2 star at best. We had left a 4 star hotel in Bangkok and it felt like we had arrived at a hostel. The sheets were stained and room facilities were very basic. We had researched the island before and looked at different resorts but the website and reality were completely different.

During our stay we felt uneasy due to the security guards around the resort and on the 2nd day a high piched alarm went off for most of the afternoon.

The worry was also we didn't feel too comfortable to leave the resort as what we saw on the island looked very run down and unappealing. We were fortunately impressed by the quality of the food and the cost. Unfortunately our bill came with service and tax added on top of the cost even though it stated on the menu prices included service and tax.
On the 3rd day we went for lunch and several items were not available....including coconut!
We had to change our menu items but were charged for the original items even though the food we received was cheaper.
When we questioned it we were told it was the same price. To be honest we could not care to argue any further. Within an hour we heard other guests also having disagreements after being over charged.

The website stated there was a pool bar and there wasn't. The a/c in the room was so noisy it was hard to sleep with ear plugs.

I have been to Thailand several times before and always been overwhelmed by the Thai hospitality and friendliness.
I am very disappointed this wasn't the case this time and will definitely put me of returning.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

We thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. First and foremost please accept our sincere apology for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay with us. It is unfortunate that we could not meet your expectations.
In taking great care of our resort, our main priority is to be able to offer a very well-maintained and comfortable atmosphere and therefore refurbishments for our villas are done every year during low season months. We are committed to providing the best in facilities and service and do our utmost to train our local staff to reach a higher service standard. I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our island and resort. Please reach out to me directly if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back to our improved resort!
Further I reassure you that the areas pointed out by you have been revisited and all necessary actions have been put in place to correct these issues. We look forward to welcoming you back for the chance to show you our true hospitality, beyond your expectations.

Reviewed 26 December 2016

We stayed here last month for 6 nights and its my third visit over the years. To be honest the hotel hasn't changed since my first stay and that's ok . It's a nice place for a romantic couples holiday with meals taken looking out across the bay to the distant Islands and the sandy beach literally a few feet away.
We stayed slightly higher up the hill of the resort which meant we got a raised balcony and outside plunge pool . The views were great and had I waited about an hour I'm sure the plunge pool would have been too but it just filled up at a low dribble and with a decent pool just below then there didn't seem much point in waiting for it to fill.
The room was very nice with a king sized bed and a single bed both on a raised platform area. The bath room is off to the side with n outside shower, yes that's right outside shower. Now before you switch off let me quickly say it actually works in everyway. The shower physically is pretty great with a large shower head and plenty of pressure but the shower area is very large and in a hot country there is something good about taking a shower with the sun on your back and the birds singing all around.
The hotel lays on evening meals with a regular set menu for 2 at around 900Baht and it was good food , my only observation was4 bottles of beer cost more than the evening meal !
We had a great stay which was added to by hiring some local scooters from just outside the resort for 200Baht a day. The roads are good and there is little traffic so you feel safe. I would say to anyone thinking of riding the forest road at the end of the island to be very careful, it's not for two up scooters and from personal experience I can assure you it hurts when you take a tumble on the clay/rock based track. The track changes with every heavy rain downpour so expect mud and very rough terrain not suited to road scooters !!!
Anyway enough of off roading , I would defiantly recommend hiring a scooter as there isn't a massive amount to do locally otherwise, the hotel offers boat trips and there are local trips to the mangroves and local sights but if you want to explore at your own leisure then get a bike.
On one such trip out we discovered that even on a predominantly Muslim Island there are few shops where alcohol can be purchased and that remedied out excessive hotel drinks bill with us buying 5 bottles of the same beer outside to everyone we bought in the resort (worth remembering while on a days ride if your passing the family mart store )
The bottom line is that this is a great romantic get away spot for couples and it is perfect for relaxing and doing little but I found 6 nights here was just a little too long especially when it rained and you were in your room for long periods. I would come back again without a doubt but maybe 4 nights next time and link this stay to other places as part of a multi stop off holiday rather than just one resort holiday destination

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are good but the top road ones have great views from their raised balconies as wel...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank country-boy16

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your kind comments regarding our service and resort are very much valued and appreciated. It feels wonderful to receive positive and encouraging feedback from our returning guests and this only motivates our team to strive to do better with each passing day. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai!

Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

We stayed here first week of December, the location is stunning, and the beach and sea beautiful, I have seen some reviews where guests said it was dirty, we certainly didn't experience this, it was probably one of the best locations we stayed in during our visit to Thailand. So if your looking for a lovely beach then this ticks that box.

We had a pool beach villa, which was the end one 116, whilst this location is private and and rooms lovely,
the trees above it constantly drop leaves into the outside bathroom room, decking and into the pool, which made the bathroom feel a bit grubby and the pool full of bugs and leaves. Also we were a very disappointed when we arrived as the pool was really dirty, the tiles are are dirty, and I am not sure the filter worked properly. When this was one of the most expensive rooms you would hope they would keep on top of the maintenance. I think they need to replace the tiles like they did in the pool in room 115 which looked lovely and clean. When we complained they were quick to come and clean and try and put it right, which we appreciated. But what I assume was the manager was very abrupt and dismissive with us. The wifi in the room was also terrible and intermittent, but we used that as an excuse to "switch off"!

The food and drinks are great, and I wouldn't say too expensive after seeing some reviews, it is more than mainland but it is a hotel on a island, so definitely not more than we would expect, we did take advise of others and bring some Changs with us, but I don't think it is that necessary to be honest! I think they were 90bhat in the mini bar and maybe 120 in the restaurant, I think cocktails were 220 and food was between 150-500 depending on what you chose.

The transfers were a nightmare, we booked a transfer in advance to leave, this was all sorted however the day before the staff made 3 attempts to change it with us, one attempt to go earlier but would have meant us sitting in airport for 6 hours, and 2 to go later. We decided to go with a later option, of leaving at 12 to catch the public boat instead of the private one, this suited our flight more. However after 30 mins sat in reception we asked where our taxi was, turns out there isn't a boat at midday and next one was 2pm. This was too late and would mean we could miss our flight!!!! It was nightmare and we felt like the hotel we not being honest with us. Their driver drove at snails pace which didn't help the anxiety, and we only made it once the boat knew our situation and took great pleasure in speeding to the mainland, also the taxi driver in Phuket also broke many speed limits to help us I am sure.

Also we did the mangroves kayaking which was fun, maybe a bit steep at 1000 baht each as it literally down the road, if you fancy it I would say maybe go to the village area at end of the road, turn left and walk a bit and there is an activity stall, it was run by them anyway and may be better price directly.

In summary, it is a lovely location, the rooms are nice, the service staff lovely, the food good, just don't expect too much from the management and maybe just be really organised with you personal admin!!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fifi1987

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay at our resort. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. I greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of the pool that need to be cleaned much better, the slow Wifi and about the transfer. We are committed to providing the best in facilities and service. I have talked to my duty manager to improve in each of your mentioned comments. I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our island and resort. Please reach out to me directly if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back to our improved resort!

Reviewed 5 December 2016 via mobile

Glow is a great low key hotel where you can relax and unwind. I loved the view from the beachfront pool that was with my room as you could not always swim in the sea. Also loved the space and outdoor bathroom in the bungalow. Food was good though restaurant prices
and restaurant staff were excellent.
Glow was not a 5 star property but what it did provide and the location (and quiet) were great.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo

I thank you for sparing time to provide your valuable feedback. I am pleased to note that the service along with the facilities, especially the space and outdoor shower. Your comment regarding the food and our staff is encouraging and motivating. Looking forward to seeing you again soon at GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Yao Yai
28.5 km away
Paradise KohYao
Paradise KohYao
#5 of 8 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai? Share your experiences!