Lowest prices for your stay
USD 48
Free cancellation until 05/02/22
TravelocityUSD 48
CheapTicketsUSD 48
FindHotelUSD 40
All reviews a la carte menu clean rooms hotel is perfect extensive wine list levada mountains roads parties island madeira vegetarian fortnight repetitive peace
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 October 2020

Simple rooms, but we don't needed more. But the food was really delicious! The staff was friendly and tried everything to help en made it our best time there. With the new manager ideas, it works fine.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 134liesbethg
Reviewed 24 September 2020 via mobile

My 6th stay here, high in the centre of Madeira. It is such a good feeling to be recognised by name on arrival and greeted throughout the stay by the staff.
I came for peace and quiet and to relax and I succeeded but Covid 19 has had its effects ... the hotel was very quiet with few other guests but the 'restricted', weekend wedding and baptism parties continued and were by no means intrusive.
The rooms were quite basic yet comfortable enough and spotlessly clean. Linen was changed regularly and the towels daily.
Breakfast was staple fare as expected. There was a 'reduced' a la carte menu or a vegetarian/ vegan alternative ...repetitive over a fortnight.. but the chefs were very good. The food was delicious. The extensive wine list was very reasonably priced.
A car was essential but the whole island was easily accessed. With care and good clutch control, the mountain roads were fun to drive.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank SrRonaldo
Reviewed 29 November 2019

We stopped here to eat something after a long hike. There was nobody at the lobby, but after asking from hotel reception it appeared that the restaurant was open. After ordering (from alcohol smelling waiter) we waited our food for 35min. Finally we got our dishes: the pork was too tough, chicken was bloody and everything tasted weird. The whole restaurant smelled bad. The waiter was very unpolite all the time, and no one else from the personnel even greeted us. Don't go there!

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2019 via mobile

Although the waiters English was not fluent and service was fairly slow they produced a very nice gluten free meal that gave me no problems. I use a translation GF card to help inform the staff and it was received willingly. The patio settling was beautiful.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

I make no apology for another subjective review of the hotel Encumeada. I come here to relax in peaceful surroundings high in the central mountains. It's not a beach holiday ... so a car is essential. Nowhere is too far and driving off thr motorways is fun.
Yes, there is noise pollution from wedding guests at weekends but that is selfish, disrespectful people for you.
On the positive side ; The rooms are fairly basic and, for me, comfortable enough, at an attractive low rate. The buffet breakfast is also plain but adequate for me. The affordable, a la carte dinners are very good with a wide range of fare to suit all. The extensive wine list offers good, Portuguese wines.
Lastly, the staff ... I have a good relationship with all staff from management to domestic because, from the beginning, I learned a few Portuguese words to break ice. Now I am on first name terms. For me, that = welcome ! Poor communication causes so many problems.

Date of stay: September 2019