“Aggressive dogs greeted us”
Review of Anatoki Salmon

Anatoki Salmon
Ranked #4 of 19 things to do in Takaka
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Hoping for a nice fish but never got past the entrance steps. Two large dogs aggressively ran towards us barking and growling aggressively. A disinterested woman came out, looked at us and yelled at them. The dogs sat down outside the reception office and we left.

We've taken visitors there before and there has been a friendly old dog that wanders around and begs for salmon scraps but these were not this variety. One looked like a bull mastiff. I wouldn't let young children near them and if it was necessary to have them on site they should have been on leads.

Very sloppy for something that prides itself on being a family attraction.

All reviews
"nice fish"
"different ways"
"fishing lake"

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately arrived when there was a salmon cull so wasn't as good as it could have been. Lovely situation with the little fishing lake. Salmon scones were delicious.9

1  Thank Cherie M
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

I really liked the concept of catching a fish on my own and then the site’s kitchen cooks it for me the way I want.
We came pretty late (around 14:30) and the site closes at 16:30 so we didn’t have much time to fish, and the weather was not on our side so we couldn’t catch any. 10 minutes before the fishing “lake” closes, one of the staff took us to a small pond swarming with salmons so we could catch one. The girl who welcomed us at the reception was pretty nice and demonstrated how to use a fishing rod, though not good enough to a person with no experience. A big downside is that there is nothing to shelter you from the scorching sun and of course, the expensive price (22$ for kilo). We had much fun and the outcome was really tasty. Pay a visit if you have the time.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Once you catch your salmon you can pay for it to get filleted, smoked or sashimi. I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to fishing so I always sit in the cafe with a tea and their yummy salmon bites, or I head down to the petting zoo where there was a calf and some piggies last time also you can go feed the eels if you buy a wee bit of food $2 I think?