Open today: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Review Highlights
Always a blast!!

Its our once a year thing when we stay at Pohara. This time son caught 3 fish in 10 mins... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Jill E
Second visit, still great

Love this place and caught 2 salmon this time, ate one for lunch which was smoked on site... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
8moac
Dunedin, New Zealand
via mobile

All reviews salmon sashimi filet take home fun experience on site catching fish great fun fishing experience great idea tame eels vacuum packed all ages fish food different ways glass of wine fishing lake
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately arrived when there was a salmon cull so wasn't as good as it could have been. Lovely situation with the little fishing lake. Salmon scones were delicious.9

1  Thank Cherie M
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

I really liked the concept of catching a fish on my own and then the site’s kitchen cooks it for me the way I want.
We came pretty late (around 14:30) and the site closes at 16:30 so we didn’t have much time to fish, and the weather was not on our side so we couldn’t catch any. 10 minutes before the fishing “lake” closes, one of the staff took us to a small pond swarming with salmons so we could catch one. The girl who welcomed us at the reception was pretty nice and demonstrated how to use a fishing rod, though not good enough to a person with no experience. A big downside is that there is nothing to shelter you from the scorching sun and of course, the expensive price (22$ for kilo). We had much fun and the outcome was really tasty. Pay a visit if you have the time.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Once you catch your salmon you can pay for it to get filleted, smoked or sashimi. I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to fishing so I always sit in the cafe with a tea and their yummy salmon bites, or I head down to the petting zoo where there was a calf and some piggies last time also you can go feed the eels if you buy a wee bit of food $2 I think?

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

Great ambiance, enjoy fishing your own salmon and having it smoked on the spot! Good food at the Tame Eel café and very familial atmosphere with the animals and the path next to the river to feed the eel. Fun day!

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Seems to have gone downhill. Heaps of people fishing but nothing being caught. Some shade around the main pond would be good.

Date of experience: January 2018