“Great Adventure to Experience the Amazon”

Huasquila Amazon Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 December 2016

Recently married, we chose this lodge for us to get away and experience the Amazon Rainforest. It is located near the town of Cotundo, but is deep enough into the jungle to get away. We did the adventure package and got to go on treks deep into virgin forests, swim in waterfalls, and see a variety of insects and nature. The staff is run by the local community, so we knew that during our stay we were contributing to the developing the area. The community also shared with us their history and cultural practices. The overall highlight of our trip was seeing mushrooms that glow in the dark. It was like the movie Avatar. We reccomend those staying to try the local Guayusa tea, which has more of a caffeine kick than coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for jungle view
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
bapvh, Propietario at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

Dear Evan and Melly,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It was a pleasure having you at the Lodge and we hope to have you back one day.

Safe travels!

Reviewed 26 October 2016

Huasquila was a cool spot. The food was a lot better than I expected, and it was great having them arrange all our activities without us planning anything. White water rafting, caving, etc. was all great. We also had our own lodge with a patio, which was a great spot to hang out. It's nice that Huasquila offers private car transfers to and from the lodge. It's a pretty isolated location, so I'd definitely recommend the private transfer. The only note: If you don't speak Spanish, you might have to work hard to communicate with everyone who works at the lodge.

Stayed: August 2016
bapvh, Propietario at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at Huasquila Lodge and the activities we offer! Our staff is eager to learn english and they are practicing hard with different online programs. However this is still a challange...All the best and we hope to have you back one day!
Bastienne

Reviewed 18 October 2016

I absolutely loved my stay at Huasquila Amazon Lodge. This luxurious lodge was perfect for what my fiancé and I wanted. Being far away from big cities, the location was a treat for a weekend getaway. The air was fresh and clean and colorful amazon birds could be seen by the pond and outside our cabin window.

The lodge has plenty of activities that you can choose on based on what you are looking for. You can go on hikes that leave directly from the lodge, white-water rafting, and chocolate tours at Karai.

The staff at Huasquila is the nicest of any staff I've ever personally experienced from any other hotel. They truly want to give you the best time of your life and are so accommodating. For example, when my fiancé and I really wanted to do the chocolate tour but realized that they were closed on Sunday and that was our last day, the staff accommodated us by offering us a personal session with one of their employees to show us how to make chocolate. I was so excited to learn how to make chocolate and the experience learning how to make it by hand was unforgettable! After it was made, we got to dip it into strawberries and bananas to taste it. It was the best chocolate i've ever had in my life.

I can't wait to go back to this Amazon Lodge once I have more time to stay longer than such a weekend to enjoy everything else they have to offer. I highly recommend staying in this lodge during your time in Ecuador.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2016

I slept very well listening to the sounds of the night and feeling the cool breeze. The staff were very accommodating and cordial. I've not had better food or service at mealtime. As a matter of fact, I would say the food was fantastic. The ingredients were local, fresh, diverse, and prepared perfectly. Probably was the healthiest I've eaten in my life and plenty of it.
Nearby is the Antisana Reserve and the beautiful Rio Misahualli. The diverse local flora and fauna offered many photographic opportunities along with a gorgeous backdrop. I'm definitely headed back soon.

Room Tip: Go with the bungalows.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Martin S
bapvh, Propietario at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2016

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your great review and positing the amazing drone video of the surroundings of Huasquila on Facebook! Looking forward to having you back in September!

See you soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2016

Stayed here three nights. Rustic, not fancy but very clean and functional. Was greeted at check-in by the owner who attended all of our needs & questions. Bungalow was decent size, large but simple bathroom. Nice swimming pool area to relax by. Food was great and plentiful. I will repeat this is not a fancy place to relax at, it is a lodge in the jungle that serves as a base camp for jungle adventures. Well managed and highly recommended.

Room Tip: we had bungalow 13 - nice & quite
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Huasquila!

Been to Huasquila Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!