All reviews fish chip shop can't remember her name a lovely stay bed was comfortable railway hotel my partner the ground floor full english breakfast excellent breakfast toast queens head exploring the area room was large turks head gavin pubs northumberland
Reviewed 30 July 2018

I agree with Linda H this is definately one to avoid! My husband and I stayed in room number 7 and our friends in room number 8. I felt really awful because I had booked this dreadful establishment for the four of us. We stayed two nights, 20th and 21st July.
It looked fine on the website and had a 4 * rating, where it got this from , god only knows! the room was large and spacious however when it had been decorated it had been done very poorly ie: painted over dust, fire signs ( ire doo eep shu !!!) peeling wall paper. It was obvious it hadn't been decorated for years.
The windows were dirty, there was electrical extensions all around the room, iron burns in the carpet, the dressing table and chair were badly stained and splashed with paint.
AND... the bathroom what can I say, lukewarm water, skimpy towels , the cheapest of complimentaries ( wilko own brand, surely a named brand from the pound shop would have been better considering this was supposed to be 4*) there was a rubber mat in the base of our shower, my feet were constantly in water as it didn't drain away as I showered. There was a constant noise and odour from the sani loo, The shower was also plastic, wobbly, I also wasn't to sure when it had last been cleaned.
They advertised SkyTV it was only the box! could only get two channels and one kept repeating the same programme!
Whilst the bed was comfortable and clean, our friends happened to see their duvet ( the corner poked out of the cover) it was grubby, off putting for a good nights sleep.
The breakfasts were decent and well presented, staff friendly enough when around, to contact anyone we had to use the phone in the hallway.
On checking out a chap came from the kitchen to operate the card machine, he didn't wash his hands, and promptly went back to touching food in the kitchen, no hygiene gloves were being used that I could see, I was pleased I'd already eaten ( or should I have been? ) this was quite off putting.
Rothbury is a beautiful beautiful place so worth a visit but very badly let down by this place.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

On websites this property looks lovely. Sadly this is not the reality We stayed for 2 nights, Thursday & Friday 12th & 13th July. Positives are that the property is in a good location in Rothbury and our room was large. The negatives are significant and not fixable unless someone spends a large amount of money on a serious refurbishment. The toilets are saniflo so very very noisy when flushed and also when the taps are turned on. In our room (no 3) there was a disgusting smell whenever the toilet was flushed or the taps turned on. There's worse!!! the toilet in our room did not flush properly so it took several attempts to!! ( you know what I mean) more flushing meant more noise, nightmare. The paint round the windows was black and dirty and there was wallpaper peeling off. The duvet (OMG) we often take the duvet out of its cover and sleep under that ( we can't cope with a tog 13 in 28°) the duvet we had was probably purchased years ago (circa 1960 at a guess) It would have been rejected by any charity shop. Dreadful, dreadful. We travel the world and it's the worst property we've ever stayed. Despite my review Rothbury and Northumberland are beautiful so we'll book more cautiously in future.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Staff are lovely and the breakfast is Fabulous. The bedroom is big and spacious but in dire need of an update. The big let down is the tiny cramped bathroom which is in need of repair (toilet and sink coming away from wall) and the loud saniflows in all bathrooms that you can hear throughout the hotel. We would have been happier with a smaller room for a bigger bathroom that could be more easily used.

Checking in and out is confusing there are no staff permanently on hand just a phone to be used so someone can come from across the road to check you in/out

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

While the rooms are spacious , the bathroom was small with only a shower ( no bath )
. The decor is dated and the mattress long overdue for replacement and uncomfortable. Breakfast portions were generous and served efficiently. Situated in the centre of the lovely town of Rothbury with on road parking available . Would return to the town but would not return here .

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

The guest house is easy to find and the staff member arrived quickly when called to provide a room key. The front door is not locked (your room is).

The hotel was clean but not recently decorated. The issue me and my partner had was that there was no hot water for a shower. We stayed for 1 night and in the morning we were due to attend a christening. Between 7:30 - 10:00(far to early checkout time) the water was freezing.

Raising the issue with staff was useless. One apologised and said there were too many people so they’d ran out (surely you have enough hot water to cover your guests??!). The other staff member said that someone must have ran a tap all night.

Neither staff member fixed the situation or made us feel any better about the fact we’d paid for a premium double and couldn’t even get access to hot water.

At checkout I complained and wanted to speak to management. I was promised a call back from the management about the issue. Two weeks later? No contact what so ever. I’d recommend going elsewhere, plenty of lovely places to stay in Rothbury and it’s surrounding areas.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple