See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

The view is stupendous. The dirt road..no problem. The rooms clean and bright. The kitchen well stocked (they supply coffee milk, coffee, tea, and margerine). The Internet works.I was given a brand new duvet and Harold dropped by to say hi. There is an open door and phone numbers to call when you get here. I am super early in the season so few people.

The only thing I don't like is that the whole house smells of old smoke even though there is a no smoking sign. However...in the off season they do moose hunts and I understand that it would be nearly impossible to prevent people from smoking. I could tell they tried to air it out.

Remember to buy groceries before coming..

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank AmandafromVancouver
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We loved this place. The views were amazing! The owner is very nice and with extended stays offers a reduced rate. We stayed for eight nights. The owner actually looks out for you as well. My wife and I decided to go for a hike. When we hadn't returned by night, the owner took his 4 wheeler out on the trail and found us. I was so relieved to see those lights from the four wheeler when we were out on the trail. Hector was full of information and told us all about Meat Cove. The place was clean and the furnishings were excellent. I can't say enough great things about this place.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank May S
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Thank you Harold, we had an amazing time at Hines Ocean View Lodge. The eight of us were quite comfortable in the modest home. We drove the quick minute drive to the bottom for the sunset which was stunning and had the most fabulous cliff-side bomb-fire in the evening. The kitchen could be stocked better as it has only 2 butter knives and 1 steak knife that doubled as my paring knife :( We would come back in a minute if there were not so much more to see across our great land on Our Canadian Experience! Thank you for adding to our experience! Check out www.facebook.com/OurCanadianExperience if you like. Take care.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Terisa A
Reviewed 27 August 2012

By far the best view in the entire (tiny) town. We would have stayed longer if we could. Our room was clean and confortable. The house was shared with the other tenants. There were two other families with kids, we were travelling ourselves as a couple. The other families were so wonderfully friendly and hospitable, we couldn't have asked for better.

If you're looking for privacy then you can hold up in your room alone. If you're looking for an experience and some socializing then the living area and kitchen is open for this purpose. The kitchen is equipped so you can cook whatever you like. There is also a BBQ (we didn't use this). Make sure you bring in your groceries before you leave Cabot Trail for meat cove, because there is only one store in the entire little village. It's a restaurant/community centre/internet cafe... an all in one information hub NS tourism sets up in these small towns.

We didn't have a reservation, but after some time concluded there was a room available. The owners were difficult to get in touch with, but they came the next morning to clean up the rooms and the entire house, we left money for them to pick up (only $60 a night! well worth it). The owners were lovely people, extremely friendly and kind. The place was very clean.

Overall a great stop, if I ever head back to that part of Canada, I would plan to stay there!

Room Tip: If making a reservation ahead of time, request one of the rooms that faces the cove.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adnaan B
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is an odd little place...It's just before you get to the Meat Cove campground, and very high on a hill. The view is amazing, which is the best I can say about it. The house is unlocked and you can walk around and decide if you want to stay, and then call the owners who will drive up to take your cash. Even though I made a reservation through NS Check-In, they were surprised to see me and didn't have my reservation. Then, they proceeded to tell me about all the characters who just show up randomly at the house. After which, they left me on my own. Now they did tell me I could lock the door at 9 pm so that no one else could stay, but I was fairly nervous. A few cars pulled up the drive and then left. I had no idea who might show up to stay in the house with me. It's a fair drive back down to the main road, so I decided to stick it out.
I didn't sleep very well, waking up at the slightest noise. I have travelled a lot on my own and stayed in some backroads places, but I was not comfortable staying here on my own. Had I known the owners did not stay in the lodge, I would not have booked here.
This place would be fine for a bunch of guys, or a large group of friends, but I would not recommend it for families or anyone traveling on their own.
The view is pretty amazing though...

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the house with an oceanview
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo