“Away From the Maddening Crowd”

Taverna San Silvestro
Ranked #11 of 60 Restaurants in Spello
Price range: USD 23 - USD 45
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

If you wish to escape the city crowds and enjoy views of the valley as you go to and from the hilltop town of Collepino, Taverna San Silvestro is the place to try. It is only 5km from Spello. If the weather is good, you can dine on the patio. Otherwise, the interior dining is warm and snug. The Taverna was recommended to us by business owners in Spello and they recommended the meats. Four of us enjoyed the lamb and found it to be tasty, tender and perfectly cooked. Ask if you can visit the rooftop terrace and enjoy a panoramic view.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank Drfrew

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I can not speak to the quality of food at this tavern but I can speak to the service. We walked to Collepino from Spello which was quite the "hike". As suggested, because this restaurant was said to ge the o ly place to eat in Collepino, we called ahead and made a reservation. When we arrived the place was closed, even though according to the sign outside the door, we were well within the operating hours, never mind that we had. Reservation. We waited 30 minutes....no one answered the locked door. We enjoy a wonderful lunch at the La Loncada Cafe just a few steps away. It was a small, simple place. Casual, very friendly owner and yummy lunch. So, yes there is another option for lunch in Collepino and I would hope you try it!

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank hdoyle2013
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Six of us hiked to Collepino and had a marvelous lunch on the patio outside of the Taverna. Previously we had eater indoors on a rainy day and that was delightful, too. The staff was excellent and worked hard to bring our food with enthusiasm. Their food recommendations were excellent, especially the pasta. Beer was excellent, too. What a wonderful experience. Take the hike, eat a great meal and walk it off!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 28 March 2017

We walked from Spello to Collepino along the aqueduct path. Great walk, easy at first but last half hour was extremely steep and rocky. We were very glad to get a seat at the restaurant and were all very hungry for a big lunch.
We all had different selections from the grilled meats and all were fantastic. Served with sautéed wild greens, roasted potatoes and grilled pecorino which was similar to grilled haloumi. Great house wine and service from the owner who spoke little English and we spoke little Italian but managed to make ourselves understood. Well worth the walk!

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed 10 October 2016

Food is amazing. The owner is the coolest. Had house pasta which was paparadelle with porcini, other fungi, truffles and bits of some kind of meat maybe boar enveloped in a rustic earthy yummy coating that I can't describe. When I was choosing I asked the owner for suggestions. I have no Italian and he minimal English, so I just watched his body as I pointed to dishes. He perked up when I pointed to the Paparadelle Silvestro, i asked what was in it, he said simply "fungi". well it was amazing. I had bufalo mozarella and yellow tomato cold dish that was perfecto. To get there you can walk up from Spello - about 2 hours - or taxi up and walk down.

Date of visit: October 2016