“Wonderful apartment in gorgeous Umbrian hilltown”
other travellers have booked this property
Spello, North-South View (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#1 Living Room (photo copyright Geoff Beatty) Unit#1 Master Bedroom (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Spello, North-South View (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#1 Living Room (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#1 Master Bedroom (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#1 Master Bedroom (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#1 Master Bathroom (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#1 Kitchen and Breakfast Area (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit #1 Hallway with Hand Painted Ceramics (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#2 Master Bedroom (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Garden Entrance to Unit#3 (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Unit#3 Upper and Lower Bedrooms (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Entry to Unit#4 (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Spello Walkways (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
East View of the Town of Spello (copyright Geoff Beatty)
Sunset View from Casa Spello (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Spello Countryside (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Sunflowers in Spello Countryside (photo copyright Geoff Beatty)
Fall at Montefalco
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
paca_9
Nth East Victoria
“Wonderful apartment in gorgeous Umbrian hilltown”
Reviewed 31 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Review Casa Spello

I stayed in Marc Antony apartment at Casa Spello in mid October with my sister and her husband. The apartment was perfect for our requirements. Modern appliances with everything working well. Lovely décor with Persian rugs and Deruta pottery on the walls. The Marc Antony apartment is on the ground floor and from it you can see a beautiful view especially at sunset. There are tables and chairs where you can eat alfresco in a pretty garden setting. Nadia looks after the apartments for Gina and was always available to help. She is a lovely person and we met some of her children who are students at the local school. Gina was easy to communicate with by e-mail.
We did not have a car and found travelling by train and bus very convenient. It is a bit of a workout climbing up the hill from the train station but nothing too arduous. ( We are in our mid 60s) Spello is a gorgeous hill town and there is plenty to do in the town itself.
I am a bit of a walker so one day I dragged my relations along the walk to Collepino along the old Roman aqueduct where we had lunch at the taverna. The views are amazing. The last part of the walk is fairly steep, but the reward of a good meal kept us moving. Another day I walked along the Francigena Way( Way of St Francis) to Foligno and also in the opposite direction( on another day) along the same Francigena Way to Assisi. The other places we visited were Trevi, Spoleto, Montefalco and Bevagna.
I would highly recommend Casa Spello as a wonderful vacation rental in bella Spello.

How easy was it to book the property?
Travelling group: Other
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
nickandel...
Elk Grove, California
“Amazing gem, amazing view, amazing staff”
Reviewed 9 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016

My mom and I had a trip of our lifetime last month to celebrate her 70th birthday. Spello was absolutely charming. And it was so perfectly situated to other beautiful towns. We just couldn't even squeeze in everything we wanted to do in 2 weeks. Casa Spello was an ideal spot for us. As we walked up our first night we realized that it is actually built into the wall of the city, which means it has a supreme view. We bought local pastas and produce and cooked in the kitchen. We were in a lower unit, the Mark Anthony, and it stayed amazingly cool. Many of our meals were in the lovely garden, with the view. Nadia was wonderful, helping us with all of our questions and treating us like old friends. And Gina was great, also answering all of our many questions ahead of time (we are not world travelers so had a lot of them!) I would most definitely recommend Casa Spello. Just need to figure out how to get back there again!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
9 Aug 2016
When we rent Casa Spello, I supply a lot of information which I send to clients before their arrival. The information contains itineraries, list of events ,how to take trains in Italy, what to avoid and what to explore. I also supply a list of romantic itineraries. Our clients like you and your mother , cherish the useful information and have said that they consider it the best travel guide. I want our guests to come to our beautiful house, but I also want them to experience Spello and surroundings and the beauty Umbria has to offer.
Paying attention to our guests and making sure they are having a great time is our first priority. No matter how many questions they may ask me, big or small, I always respond to all of their emails the best I can. Thank you for the review, come back to Casa Spello, your home in Umbria.
klumby
Calgary, Canada
“This is Italy at its most beautiful”
Reviewed 31 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed in Villa #2. It is well equipped...we are two adults and two daughters (14&11). Each girl had their own room. The villa is quaint and charming with lots of antiques to make it authentic. It is located right in the centre of the walled town. The town is just what you want a hillside ancient Roman town to be. This is a hidden gem. Great shopping and restaurants ....you have to go to Gusto's Bistro and say hello to Matthew. Not too many tourists as its 2 hours from either Florence and Rome...but both can be done by train for s days visit. You won't be disappointed with this vacation spot. We didn't give it a 5 star as there was a rooster that woke us up every morning and we had to close the window. Plus our hot water heater kept on tripping out and we had to reset it....a little bit of a hassle but nothing that a glass of wine couldn't fix! Nadia (the housekeeper) brought us freshly baked goodies on one day...everyone is so sweet!

1 Aug 2016
Thank you for your review. You will be happy to know that your water heater has been fixed. Glad that we were able to fix the problem in just a few hours. We have also told our neighbor to remove the rooster. Thank you for staying with us, please come again.
Elisabeth...
“Owner rude and difficult to communicate with”
Reviewed 28 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

Spello itself is a wonderful town! I found communication with Gina to be quite frustrating - she first increased the price of our stay there, then the week before emailed many times with little changes to our stay. Meanwhile my questions to her were met with rude responses. We made some friends in spello during our stay there and realized what Gina charges is well above average.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
10 Aug 2016
I would like to clarify that I have never increased the price of the Unit . In fact ,Ms. Liz paid exactly what is listed on our website and our advertisements.
When Ms Liz was quoted the rental fee + the cleaning fee she responded in an email: " Gina, That's okay about the fee ....." Had she told me that she wanted a discount, I would have been happy to give it.
Ms.Liz received documents and instructions on how to meet our temporary keyholder Martina , and her tel. number, multiple times. I explained that our regular check in person was on vacation the day of their arrival. Ms Vitale kept asking for the same information ,again and again, and of course I kept resending it. One email after another.

I suggested that considering the heat in July that she and her partner may want to ask our temporary keyholder for a ride from the train station and I suggested that they may want to give her a tip of 10 euro (about $12) to help pay for the gas.
Ms Liz wrote an outraged emails back saying that I had not told her that they I charge an extra fee for the ride.
I explained that we do not include rides or pick ups from the Station, that this was simply a suggestion because our local taxi driver was on vacation. Ms Liz told our keyholder Martina that she would arrive around 6 in the evening. Then she finally arrived after 9pm. Martina picked up Liz and her partner from the station and drove them to the property.
Needless to say, Ms Liz didn't think it appropriate to even hand a small tip for the ride, considering that she was 3 hours late and considering that our temp keyholder had to cancel the rest of her schedule to accommodate Ms. Liz and her partner. Our regular check in person is also very flexible and do the best we can to accommodate our guests no matter the time of their arrival.
Although Ms Liz has sent an unusual large number of emails asking for information which were clearly answered in the set of documents that I had already sent to her multiple times. I didn't respond in any way rudely.

Regarding Ms Liz remarks that our charges are "above average," it is of course possible to find a cheaper simple room in Spello or a BNB. We have four units at Casa Spello: Ms Liz rented our Cleopatra which is an architect designed Medieval charming small house , built with beautifully carved peach color stone, complete with kitchen, washing machine, all the comforts, a beautiful garden with magnificent panoramic views. The property has one of the largest gardens in the historic section of Spello and it boasts some of the most magnificent sunsets. We are in the heart of the historic town and we charged Ms Liz euro 90 x night + a one time cleaning fee of euro 30 we have never changed our prices in 11 years!

Ms. Liz wrote an outraged email back saying that I had not told her that I charge an extra fee for the ride.
lazytrave...
Tacoma, Washington
“Best location in Spello”
Reviewed 25 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We traveled as two couples renting the Mark Anthony and Cleopatra apartments. Both apartments were excellent. The Mark Anthony was very spacious and had every amenity you would need - full sized fridge, clothes washer, dish washing machine, gas stove, etc. The apt is stocked with tons of dishes and detergents. The bathroom was decent sized with a shower. The Cleopatra is like a studio apt, but very spacious as well. The WiFi in the Mark Anthony was great. There is A/C and heating available. In the Mark Anthony, there is a double bed upstairs with a window that opens to a great view. There is a partitioned bedroom downstairs with two twin beds. The apartments were meticulously clean. The location was the best. It's on the edge but inside the walled town. The views were spectacular. It was very quiet. Spello is a small town and you can walk to any restaurant or store you want (there are hills, of course - it is an Umbrian hill town). We had a car. Parking was easy if you park in the Piazza Republica, which is the closest to the apartment. You might have to pay a little depending on the days/hours, but it wasn't much (.60 euro/hr) and well worth it. There are a ton of great restaurants in Spello. We ate at a different one each day and all of them have a truffle dish. Nadia is the key holder (she checks you in) and is available for any needs - she is very nice and helpful. Gina, the owner, is very reliable to work with in booking. She is very responsive to emails and inquiries. We were lucky enough to meet her in person while we were there and we all went to dinner with her in nearby Collepino. With or without Gina, I would highly recommend the restaurant there (there is only one). The town is a very cute, almost abandoned hill town about 15 min from Spello. Gina did all of the renovations to the building, which used to be a cantina. The work and detail that went into the apartments is unmatched. Everything is high-quality and you really feel like you are in an old medieval building. The ABSOLUTE BEST part of these apartments is the garden area where there deck with a table and chairs. We sat out there every evening with our aperitivio (prosciutto, cheese, wine, fruit, truffle dip - all from the local stores) enjoying the fabulous views of Umbria. Sitting at the garden table, you are surrounded by lavender and rosemary and jasmine. I would highly recommend Casa Spello for anyone wanting an apartment-style place to stay in Spello. The prices are also very reasonable for what you get.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
26 Jun 2016
We are happy to get your wonderful feedback and want to do the best we can to make our guests comfortable. Yes you are right we do have a huge garden, possibly one of the biggest within the historic village and the sunsets are waiting for you to come back. The restaurant in Collepino I took you to which I recommend is called: Taverna San Silvestro.

Your Host Gina
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing