“Humiliating and disappointing”

Marros Riding Centre
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Pendine
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse Riding for everyone. Beach riding for experienced riders, lessons and treks for all levels of riding. Ideal for family groups. Open all year round. Indoor school.
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

The instructor decided when we got to the beach that I wasn’t good enough to ride. No one spoke to me, it was just announced in front of everyone that I was being excluded. I was then just led away off the beach, i asked for an explanation and was just told it was for ‘safety’, I got quite upset as my sister and friend where allowed to continue and the lady leading me away said ‘I’m not arguing with you’ and that was that apparently.

They refunded me £25 but I had a horrible experience and still have a bill for £50 when all I did was walk to a beach, sit there on a horse and wait for the others to come back and then walk back, i was so looking forward to the ride and it ended up being confidence destroying.

I’m not an amazing horse rider by any means but no one of the ride was. I’ve done a few beach rides and had lessons before and was quite happy to gallop along the beach. So if you’re thinking of booking and you are not confident, beware they might charge you and not let you ride with no prior warning. I’m so gutted, upset and disappointed, it was really embarrassing.

7  Thank Sarahinwales
MarrosPendine, Owner at Marros Riding Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed that you were dissatisfied with your experience with us but safety is paramount.

There were 4 in your party as well as 1 other local client and another experienced instructor. As our usual practice on the ride down to the beach on the single file tracks, the ride trotted and cantered to give riders the opportunity to get used to their horses and for the instructor to assess the riders’ ability before getting to the beach. During this time it was assessed that both you and another member of your party hadn’t shown enough balance or have enough control of your horses to go any faster than trotting on the beach. This was explained to both of you before going on the beach and again once you had trotted in the sea. This was all done for safety reasons as we were not confident either of you would cope with cantering or galloping on the beach and were not happy to put you, the horses, other riders or members of the public on the beach in unnecessary danger. The other rider in your group, who was also taken off the beach, completely understood the reasons and accepted it was for safety. You were clearly getting very angry and frustrated at the decision made and that was when you were told the instructor’s decision was final and an argument was not going to be entered. I would rather you complain about our decision regarding safety rather than put you and everyone else at risk. As you were disappointed we refunded £25 as a gesture of goodwill and treated your ride as though it was a 2 hour trek even though you did have a beach ride.

We do urge riders when booking the beach ride that they are realistic about ability and honest as to when they last rode and their riding experience as we do assess and will not risk galloping unless good control and balance is shown. This ride is for riders who are competent and confident galloping in open spaces. As you will see from all the other comments regarding the beach ride it is an exhilarating and fantastic experience. We have other rides for less experienced riders and these cater for any level of rider including total beginners. It is not our intention to disappoint but it is our intention to minimise risks.

We are very sorry you were dissatisfied with your experience. If you wish to discuss this matter further in private, please feel free to email, phone or arrange a meeting in person.

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"gallop"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Had a fantastic beach ride,I was so pleased that I was able to borrow hat and boots as I only booked while on holiday and I hadnt planned to ride.Becky took me out,she was very friendly and made sure that I was happy & confient riding Carrie,(who seemed to enjoy the experience as much as me),at all paces in the sea.It was heaven,Great friendly staff,lovely safe horse would highly recommend,thank you xx

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

We bought our daughter to try the toddler taster session but unfortunately she was too upset and tired to do it. the staff were so patient and understanding - they let us walk around the barn with the horse instead of her riding him. let us feed treats as mentioned on their website too, I have no doubt it would have been just as good if we had been to do the full session!

Reviewed 13 April 2018

Me and my 2 daughters did a woodland hack for an hour over the Easter break. The horses were perfectly behaved and the guides so friendly and helpful. I cannot recommend enough - it really was an amazing experience for us, so thank you to all the staff (and the horses of course!)

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 November 2017

I've been riding for 30 years and can honestly say this was the best riding experience I've ever taken part in when on holiday (and I've visited quite a few stables). I rode the woodland hack in the morning through some lovely scenic countryside and then the beach ride in the afternoon which was amazing. The horses are lovely and well looked after, stables and yard were kept to a high standard and the staff were very friendly. Cannot fault them and will be returning in April when i'm next in the area for another beach ride.

MarrosPendine, Owner at Marros Riding Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to seeing next year!