“Best hostel I've ever stayed at”

Aso Base Backpackers
Ranked #1 of 12 Speciality lodging in Aso
Reviewed 6 November 2012

This is hands down, the best hostel I've ever stayed at. From the moment I walked I could see it was a clean, friendly, respectable and sociable venue. The staff were very welcoming, the common room / kitchen area was large with all the facilities you could hope for, the dorm was a decent size with plenty of privacy and storage for your gear, and the bathrooms were all clean and efficient. It's only a 3 minute walk from Aso station, which means super-easy access to the mountain. I hired a bicycle from the hostel and had one of the best days of my life cycling and hiking around the top of the volcano. They also have discounted tickets to the nearby onsen, which is PERFECT after a days worth of exploring. Altogether a fabulous stay in an equally fabulous part of the world.

Room Tip: The bunks in dorms are spacious and comfortable. I liked being closest to the window but any bed wou...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Aso Base Backpackers

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Not sure this place can be improved. Wouldn't be 5 mins walk from the train/bus station. The owners speak excellent English and go out of their way to help. The bed costs Y2600/night, making it the cheapest place I stayed in my 2 weeks in Japan. They have all the timetables and maps you need for hiking around the Aso Caldera. Wifi is fast. Toilets are amazing by Western standards but pretty common in Japan. All bathroom amenities are provided. Bed is comfortable and there are loads of extra pillows and blankets if required. Just a gem.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Everything here is great, from the large dinning/salon room japanese decorated, with a well equiped kitchen to the bed and pillows, this was the most confortable bed in japan, and we did many and most hotel and kyokan. Everithing is very clean, or sould i say inmaculate, the owners work hard to keep this place your home away home. From shampoo to hair treatment to hand soap and facil cleansing and moisture, complimentary for your convinience. We are delighted to have found this place far from the city's hot summer, the sight of the volcano from your room will convince you. We extended our two day stay to seven, we had a private room, but the dorms are also very well mainteined and wood made. It is very close to the train station and buses, and local market with tourist information. More than recomended!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clairedelune078
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This was hands down one of the cleanest and well maintained hostels I have ever stayed in. It seems to be quite a new establishment, but the set up of rooms, kitchen, lounge room and balcony gave the entire location a pristine feel. Staying during the off season meant that there was only 2 of us sharing the entire hostel! The staff were very friendly when I arrived and gave me some excellent advice for trekking Mt Aso. Unfortunately the day I went the weather was terrible so I did not get as much done as I would have liked. Only a few houses from the station, it is comfortable and affordable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Paolo S
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We can't recommend this place enough, our only regret is that we only stayed one night!

My partner and I stayed in a double room without bathroom which was very spacious and comfortable, the bathroom facilities were second to none, free shampoo etc, plus all sorts of other toiletries from cotton wool to body sprays and hand cream.

The kitchen was also well stocked, with oils herbs and the usual tea and coffee. The communal areas were pine chalet style rooms which made me feel like I was in the alps in a five star hotel!! We will definitely be back and I would have no problems telling everyone else to try it!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple