“Dirty, Lacking Amenities, Possible Code Violation”

Tobermory Inn, Suites & Cottages
Reviewed 20 September 2016

We wrote Tobermory Resort Inn & Suites several times since our stay on Sept.10th. We were to stay 2 nights but it was a terrible resort so we cancelled the last night. We did receive the second night refund. We did not receive any other discounts except a discount on a 2017 stay. Below are the 2 letters I emailed. The other emails I sent were the same letters as no response was retuned after the only one we received which stated a refund for the second night which we never stayed;

#1 - WRITTEN and EMAILED DAY WE STAYED
" We spoke with office reception yesterday to complain about the condition of the cottage; broken blinds, missing amenities etc. She cancelled our second night reservation and placed a request for a discount on last nights stay.

Handyman came to replace the blinds for curtains. But we were still missing coffee filters, cutlery (only 1 metal and 1 plastic fork), cooking spatula (only a spoon) and no hood vent for cooking which set the smoke alarm off.

We are also upset about the hair and mold in the bathtub, dirty pans (isn't there a $50 charge if someone doesn't clean it?),

I know it's only a 3 star. But that's based on amenities and service. The amenities are considerably lacking.

I would like a response and resolution to this issue. “

#2 - WRITTEN A DAYOR SO LATER
“ I would like to add that service was also lacking. There is a contact number; 519-377-4232 for messaging only for after office hours requests or emergencies. I sent a message on the morning of Saturday Sept.10 at 8:24am requesting an update on the cancellation for Sunday Sept.11, 2016 as office reception was suppose to email the request the day before. As well, I was requesting coffee filters again and complaining of the lack of utensils to cook and eat with. I never received a response. That morning when I went to the office to complain, I discovered that there was a continental breakfast bar available with coffee, tea, toast and fruit. So we had had the coffee and toast. The coffee was horrible that is why I wanted to use my coffee in the cabin.

How can you charge $190 +HST per night for a cabin that lacks amenities and service of a 3 star hotel? The hotel may have a 3 star rating but it doesn't qualify for that;

- Filthy tub with hair in it
- Mould around the tub (and fridge)
- Dingy towels (some looked dirty)
- Dirty fry pan (greasy)
- No spatula to cook with
- No wash cloths or sponge to wash dishes with
- No hood vent for cooking which causes the smoke alarm to come on when we cooked bacon on medium heat. (Code violation?)
- A table you can't sit at to dine because the side panels prevent your legs to go under
- Broken curtain panels (yes handyman replaced it with a cloth curtain) but the bedroom one was also not fully functional for privacy
- Thick dust built up everywhere
- Mirrors were dirty
- Water not potable (according to a small sign on front window of office) which we weren't aware of or told about
- No ice machines on the property
- Many broken debris around the property (Child Safety?)
- Furniture that looked like it was from a thrift store and very dingy/dirty looking
......and so on.

Many hotels that are a 3 star and they are clean…..even the ones with kitchenettes.

We couldn't understand why internet wasn't available for the cabins as the Blue Heron Cruise Company had a signal strength that could reach our cabin from a few km across the bay.

We stayed at another 3 star place in Trent Severn, called 'Tea Lake Cottages', area earlier this week. It too was a 2 bedroom cabin on the water. It had internet access in the cottage, a coffee maker with filters, all utensil required to cook, it was on the water and I could fish off the dock if I wanted. Your site had a sign posted 'No Fishing'. It also came with a small deck rail gas BBQ. The place was not super clean but the service and amenities were what we expected. Nothing fancy. I like to fish and hunt. I don't expect luxury at this price range. The price at this property was the same as yours and it was closer for us to go to.

Office reception did show us another room on the property, a chalet suite, which was also dirty and well worn.

We also heard the handyman complain to us about the property. He said to us that he has asked for curtain replacements for 3 years. So we know you've had on going issues for quite some time. As well, a couple approached us on Saturday morning and shared their terrible experience. It was very similar to ours.

We would like our Sunday night refund. Both the office receptionist and we have signed letter stating the request. As well, we noticed that you have a $50 off per night offer for this month. We would like that as well.

I have yet to place a review on line until this matter is cleared up. If we are happy with your resolution, I will not post a review.”

I wish I didn't have to write this review. Like when you are parenting. there has to be follow through when desired results do not happen. We only wanted $50 off for the night we stayed because there was a more recent ad on line (on their site) which offered it for the time period we were staying. They didn't even offer us this. Never staying there again.....

Room Tip: Don't go to this site and if you do, don't unpack..
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RedSealChef

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Their website advertises wi-fi and a pool. Both claims were completely debunked within minutes of our arrival; the wi-fi does not work from the suites and the pool looks like it hasn't been used since Bill Clinton was U.S. president. The suite we stayed in was full of hazards, including a heavily damaged and exposed electrical outlet.

My family and I were willing to look past all of these things. But then, we found the bed bugs.

Need I say more? We went to the Chamber of Commerce to try and find alternate lodging. Of course, nothing was available. When we told the staff where we stayed, they shook their heads and informed us that Tobermory Resort, Inn and Suites was actually kicked out of the commerce for poor standards.

We wound up having to turn back and head home. The manager seemed more concerned about us not leaving a bad review than expediting the refund process. What a waste of what should've been a nice long weekend.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank MerpyDerpy
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Tobermory is such a lovely place to visit, but do not book this "Resort". I never actually got the chance to stay here because of a dryer fire shut down the hotel. They offered a full refund and tried to find another hotel for me to stay at. They were successful but the hotel was on Manitoulin Island, an hour and 45 minute boat ride away. Appreciated the attempt but that's just too far away. We drove home instead. All was good until I saw my bank statement, and they charged me for the room with no refund. I then proceeded to email, and call the "resort". No answer or never called me back. I went back to the"resort" in person to get my money back. Front receptionist was not at the desk (no one was) but there was a phone and a number to call. The person who answered informed me they couldn't talk to me or help me because they "were having a spray tan emergency". I finally got my money back thanks to my credit card company who filed against them after 3 weeks of the company not responding to me. Tobermory resort, inn and suites did eventually get back to me and offered 25% off my next stay. Thanks but no thanks. The unprofessionalism of this business blew my mind. Save yourself the headache and do not stay here!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M P
Reviewed 8 September 2016

I booked two rooms on June 19, 2016 for Aug 27, 2016, one night stay, a King bed resort room (reservation # 140685) and a two queens resort room (reservation # 140686).

Aug 27, we were assigned Room 48 King Bed and Room 46 two-double bed. I was told they had no two-queens bed room available for us.

The Room 48 with King Bed has dirty broken bed sheet. From the attached pictures you can see the previous customers' hair on the bed. It looks like the bed sheet hasn’t been changed. The room door lock was malfunctioning. The bathtub has black accumulated dirt on the surface and it looks like it has never been cleaned properly. The towels are also very filthy. You can see a layer of black dirt on the towels. (Pictures attached)

The Room 46 with two-double Bed was even worse. From attached pictures you can see the mold on the bathroom floor and on the tiles. The room has serious mold odor.
The air condition was very noisy, more than 100dB; no one can sleep in a room like this.

We requested the hotel manager, Jessica, to provide some clean towels for us and a clean bed sheet for room 48. She committed will bring to us. But after we come back from dinner, the hotel front desk was locked out. Nobody answered the office phone and the message box was full, and cannot take any messages. No hotel staff was there to take care of their customers. We had no clean towels for shower. And my friends tell me the next morning, they sat overnight waiting for a clean bed sheet and resulted in no sleep.

This hotel’s manager Jessica has very bad attitude. Next day when we find her, she did not even apologize for our bad experience and gave me this email address and asked me to complain to the hotel head office.

This hotel’s in extremely dirty condition, and will harm tourists’ health.
Furthermore, the room's fire alarm device was not working (see attached picture). No fire sprinkler system at all. This also puts tourists’ in danger.
I encourage the government take action to protect the tourists’ health and safety.

I have been charged $165+tax for one king room, $165+tax for two-double Bed room instead of two-queens bed room and very bad service. Is it fair? Because Aug27, that day all hotel/motel in Tobermory had no vacancy. We had no place to go. Many other guests also have similar experience and many people have told me of their anger and frustrations.

Do not book this hotel. Do not let this hotel destroyed your vacation trip in Tobermory.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank AlfredCao
Reviewed 8 September 2016

On arrival we noticed that some of the rooms were boarded up with plywood on the windows and doors. We got a dingy looking room with two beds that was located on the top of some shoddy stairs at the back of the building. One of the beds looked like it had already been slept in and you had to get up from the bed to change the channels on the tube television. We only stayed because we booked through expedia and couldn't get a refund. We paid $140 for the night but think the room was barely worth $40 a night. Good thing is we still got sufficient water pressure for our showers. The pics we saw must be from when the place was in it's prime because now it is run down.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobermory
1.5 km away
0.4 km away
Grandview
Grandview
#12 of 12 in Tobermory

Been to Tobermory Inn, Suites & Cottages? Share your experiences!