All reviewsgielas wingsanta's laplandtoboggan runmain buildinggala dinnerdrying cupboardprivate saunawhole experiencenorthern lightssmall balconyin decemberhalf boardarctic circlemagical tripmeatballsday tripski bus
Reviewed 11 December 2015

We visited 7-9 Dec in a Gielas suite which was lovely, better than I expected really. Ive read some unfavourable reviews about food etc! I don't know what they were expecting but the buffet had, soup, anti pasti etc and mains had meat dish and fish and full cold meats and good desserts. Its the only country Ive had proper boiled potatoes, on offer, proper vegetables etc and nice kids corner with hot dogs etc. Breakfast was the most basic meal but even that had hams cheeses, cereals toast etc, at the end of the day you're not in the uk! Gala dinner was great and fn for the kids lovely atmosphere following search for santa. I was going to book a cabin, sold out, and I;m glad I didn't as meals are served in the cabin, the restaurant was a lot more sociable and my daughter enjoyed going everywhere by toboggan. Worth the trip fabulous, Thanks Santas lapland

Room Tip: Book a suite
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank leleyderby
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

We travelled with Santas Lapland for (luckily for us) the 2nd time to Saariselka.
Our room was in the building next to the Gielas (where we stayed last time). It suited us because we had a separate bedroom for the children to sleep in while we watched tv or watched the peacefulness of the surroundings from the balcony.
Yes, the rooms are basic, yes the food is basic but I believe this is Lapland as a whole. The reason we were there was to see Santa and that we did, the perfect little village of Saariselka and the clean hotel with friendly atmosphere was a bonus!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Sophjasp
Reviewed 10 December 2015

Our whole trip booked with Thomson was magical from start to finish. Room fab (if a little snug) and food in the a la carte restaurant gorgeous and not overpriced. Snow everywhere, it was like a winter wonderland everywhere you looked. Everyone friendly and the elves and reps went above and beyond for us. Snowball elf has so much energy and patience he deserves a medal. We loved the toboggan run just down the road and saw the northern lights about 9.30pm at the top. We loved the gala dinner it felt like Christmas Day. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Jemma19
Reviewed 7 December 2015

Very basic hotel. We visited on a Santas Lapland trip. The food was basic, gala dinner main course was inedible - overcooked. No magical christmas atmosphere at all.
I would not recommend, certainly not for the prices that they are charging. Really disappointed with our trip.

Stayed: December 2015
2  Thank mrsc885
Reviewed 12 November 2015

The hotel (Saariselka Tunturi not Santa when I stayed) was great for me and I have to disagree with some of the comments suggesting how tired this place is etc. For me the room was modern well furnished in the usual Scandinavian Style and as others mentioned private sauna was such a cool addition but I couldn't of cared to be honest because I was just so captivated by the atmosphere and setting of the town.

Anyway my point being this was one of the most amazing places I have ever experienced, so far into the arctic circle and in such a remote place surrounded by arctic forests and hills, northern lights, sitting on the room balcony sipping vodka late at night watching Arctic rabbits hop around below, it was just incredible so I wouldn't put so much emphasis where I stayed, although this place I though was great!

Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple