1,611 results
All reviews east village glass igloo set menu queen suite log cabin aurora hunting northern lights your luggage reindeer safari soup once in a lifetime unique experience reception area toilet and sink snow igloo small glass bucket list
Reviewed 18 November 2017

We have just come back from Kakslauttanen for my girlfriend's birthday and it was an absolutely incredible experience. I was a bit sceptical after I booked it as I then read some not-so-favourable reviews but I have got to say I don't think they are particularly justified. For most this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity as it is quite expensive, but for me you more than pay for what you get.

I booked a one-night stay in a Kelo-glass igloo with transfers to and from the resort, a Husky ride and a Reindeer aurora hunting experience. Everything was communicated perfectly and I was given a clear schedule of the activities and transfer times. I also booked a birthday surprise for my girlfriend which again was arranged with no problems.

When we arrived, it was like something out of a fairytale. The resort was covered in snow and every building we passed was impeccably designed. The staff were all very lovely and helpful and kept out bags for us hilts we went on our first activity. We did the husky ride first which was absolutely incredible - our guide was very funny and knowledgable and the huskies were adorable. We even got to meet some puppies! A real once in a lifetime experience.

We then went over to our igloo - we didn't have any help with our luggage but our igloo was so close it didn't really matter. I can imagine if your igloo is further away it could be a bit more problematic, especially as it is so cold and the map given isn't extremely clear. Our igloo was mesmerising - it was perfectly warm and fully equipped, as well as being impeccably well-kept. The sauna was lovely, the beds comfy and you really can't match the view from the igloo if you go anywhere else.

Our food was nice - not especially luxury and very minimal choice (it is a set menu and you have to pay a lot if you want to have something else), but this is understandable considering how remote the resort is. The staff also arranged a birthday cake which was a lovely touch. I would also recommend having a drink in the aurora bar - the cocktails are very tasty and if you are lucky you may see the aurora!

We then did the aurora hunting by reindeer, which was again a remarkable experience. It was a very relaxing way to enjoy the evening and even though the northern lights didn't come out to play we had a wonderful time. The staff were again extremely knowledgeable and the reindeer were lovely.

Overall, a truly magical experience that we will never forget. There are more activities we want to so we will definitely be coming back to this remarkable place. I never wanted to leave

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Greg F
kakslauttanen, Manager at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear Greg

Our team is delighted to hear you had a great time here in Kakslauttanen. Our Kelo-Glass Igloo’s are a favorite of many of our guests, and as you pointed out, a great way to enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

This resort could be one of the most amazing places I have ever been. But it's not. I took my mom for her 70th birthday last month and not a mention was made of it. I think that is pretty unbelievable, especially because this is not a place that anyone gets to easily. A good friend even called on the day of her birthday to pay for a bottle of champagne to deliver to our dinner table and they refused, stating that it was "not something they do without advanced notice." Unacceptable to me! Many things like this happened throughout our four day stay. That said, the food was just edible and the activities were overpriced by and large throughout. I know not to expect American customer service everywhere we go but a place that is such a destination really found an astounding way to disappoint. I still give the overall stay a 3 star, simply because the property grounds and the kelo-glass cabins are one of a kind. You can't experience this elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Leightx1

Dear Guest

We’re sorry that some aspects of your stay disappointed you, and we’ll make sure to learn from the miscommunications that happened. Thank you for your kind words about our one-of-a-kind resort and the architecture.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

We stayed here as a young family in the week before Christmas 2016.

The infrastructure of resort itself is great and on first arrival it really is rather magical. We stayed in one of the new Kelo Igloo's which although very expensive was really lovely.

There are many activities nearby including husky rides, reindeer rides, cross country skiing, downhill skiing and lots more although if you have a car you find that you can often book them cheaper in the village than you can through the resort. We saw the aurora on most evenings and it put on some amazing displays.

So if I'd booked this as room only self catering holiday I think I would have left the resort with a very good feeling. However there were many downsides to the resort which reflect in me only giving it a 2 star review.

Firstly the food is truly awful. I have never stayed anywhere that is advertised as 1 star where the food was this bad, let alone the 4 star they claim the resort to be. There was only one choice of main course for the evening meal which was either Pike or Reindeer. They do offer childrens meals but if you never asked you would never have known - they certainly didn't advertise this! The service in the restaurant was very poor and unless you booked your time slot very early in the day you could end up eating very late at night. I ended up having a huge argument with the restaurant staff and resort manager over this when one night we still had not even been seated by 8.30. This is not what you want with little ones after an active day outside!

The overall quality of the staff at the hotel was poor. I understand that it is a busy time of year, but not once did I receive service from any of them that would justify the prices they charge or the quality they claim to provide. They often did not have a clue what they were doing, made numerous mistakes on booking our activities and not once apologised or tried to make things right. I wish I could remember the general managers name because after the incident in the restaurant he just walked away from me while I was complaining. He just turned his back and walked away. I was gobsmacked. I did later arrange for him to be there to talk to him on our day of departure, but he didn't even bother turning up to the meeting.

Perhaps most sadly of all was the rather pathetic Santa 'experience'. For anyone who has been to something like Lapland UK, you will be sorely disappointed. It is a group visit where you are walked around the resort by 'elves' who clearly have not been there very long as they often got lost or didn't appear to know what they were doing. The visit including meeting Santa, Rudolf and an Elf house. At one point our whole group got held up as a 'private' (read VERY expensive) viewing pushed in front of us so we all had to wait outside. At this point the Elf suggested that we visit the gift shop - so basically the majority of the Santa visit consisted of us either waiting outside or inside the gift shop. Oh and Rudolf wouldn't come out to see us. It wasn't cheap and honestly was a complete and utter rip off.

So I think you can see my issues. If you look at my reviews you will see that i am not a serial complainer. I often give 5 star reviews for great hotels and service, but this was definitely not one of those occasions. I was tempted to give it 1 star, but like I said the quality of the accommodation we stayed in was excellent so it does get a point extra for that.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank sisisisisisi

Dear Guest

We're glad to hear that even though there were some issues with the service level, you enjoyed the ambience of the resort, the activities, and your accommodation.

We want to thank you for your feedback, and we'll always look for ways to make our guests stay as memorable as possible - that being said, since your visit about a year ago, there have been many steps taken to remedy some of the issues you had during your stay, and our more recent reviews reflect this.

We're hoping to see you back again!

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Such a lovely location - early November - snow had just started - fairy wonderland. Half board - excellent eveng meals - truly great - set courses - but food was top shelf. We stayed in cabin - 2 of us - had large bed plus 2 bunks - plenty room for family - very good but do not expect room service (bed not made daily etc etc). Short walk to main reception dinign area - lovely bar under glass igloo. Rooms are pricey - chose as you see suits. But add on activities very expensive (in my opinion) but were just great fun. Order of preferne - husky sled - fun fun and more fun and ogs just so friendly - snow mobile in middle of night - and we saw the lights to boot - reiondeer sled OK - also in middle of night. Visit to Santa - hmmm - not sure - very expensive for what we got. But would go back - just be prepared.

Room Tip: Read details carefully - we were 100% happy with cabin - chose to budget.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear John

Our team is delighted to hear you had a great time here in Kakslauttanen. We do our best to make sure there are activities for everyone to enjoy, and different accommodations for different tastes.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Before we came away we read the reviews on this site, there was one review that was quite scathing. Our experience was the complete opposite because we had done our research and knew what to expect. Our trip was stunning and was way beyond what we were expecting. We started off with one night in an igloo on the east side this was magical, we saw the northern lights and had the best nights sleep ever in the most comfortable beds. We got up early and headed off for a husky sledging ride by the time we returned our luggage was over in our log cabin in the west side. The log cabin slept 6 and was beautiful. Inside was a sauna and fireplace. We paid 35 euros for logs and someone came to cabin to show us how to light it safety. In truth you don't need a log fire as the cabins are lovely and warm. However imagine sitting in front of the fire whilst it's snowing outside and drinking hot chocolate to us it was well worth the 35 euros . The food was great and one of our party was gluten free, egg free and dairy free and they catered for this impeccably and the igloo bar a nice addition. Although the taxi to Sariselka is pricey (70 euros return) it is well worth a trip to beautiful souvenir shops and local bars and to see the cross country skiing path. After our trip to Sariselka we headed back to our log cabin on the west side, I would suggest staying at both sides as each side is different but both amazing. The staff at the resort were wonderful and really friendly and helpful. The resort itself is stunning in the snow with plenty of walks and sledging runs. We could not have had a better time anywhere else, it was one of the most spectacular holidays we have ever been on and will definitely return soon.

Room Tip: Igloo east side then log cabin west side
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank janemccabe2017

Dear Jane

Thank you so much for your kind words, our team is very glad to hear we met your expectations and you had a wonderful time here in Kakslauttanen. As you said, there are many things and activities to see and do, and the resort really is breathtaking - especially in wintertime.