“Our golden wedding celebration 15th September”
Review of The Oak Barn

The Oak Barn
Ranked #5 of 85 Restaurants in Burgess Hill
Price range: USD 7 - USD 22
Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The inglenook Long bar and sofa areas make this area a cosy and relaxing atmosphere, perfect for a chat with friends any night of the week. It is a great place to pop in for a drink with a huge variety of wines, beers and spirits. For summer days and enclosed courtyard is a real sun trap with water features and foliage in abundance, making it a great place to spend some care free hours, or you may prefer the patio area which is quiet, relaxing and overlooking the comings and goings of the bar, making the perfect place to people watch! In addition, it's an ideal place to spend your lunch breaks with easy and free access to parking, so you won't be late for work. There is a great range of baguettes, wraps, salads and hot bar meals to suit your tastes. There is a huge range of hot and cold- light bar meals served from 11:00am-9:30pm as well as our main restaurant menu which will be served from 12:00pm-3.00Pm and 6:00pm onwards. The Bar and Specials menu as well as the Main restaurant can be served either in the Bar or main Restaurant, giving you great flexibility on where you would like to eat. Part of the restaurant can be portioned off and used for private functions. The focal point being an old sandstone Fireplace makes this area would provide ideal conference facilities for up to 25 people comfortably. The great oaks of England admirably sum up the nation's character of quality and solid dependability and they are what you can expect when you visit the Oak Barn Bar and Restaurant. The original 250 year old barn has been lovingly restored using old oak beams, many of which are salvaged from the great wooden ships of nelson's day. Complete with several authentic wagon wheel chandeliers, Old Sussex Sandstone and Inglenook fireplace, stained glass windows, oak floors additionally, perched charmingly above the main dining area is an oak gallery which is already a favourite spot for diners.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a perfect location for our family to meet and celebrate with us ! Our food was excellent ! Lovely and hot , well presented and everyone got what they ordered . Nothing too much trouble and a great atmosphere. Background music not too loud but when Kenny Gee came on that made it as lots of our family love his music. All in all no complaints at all and thank you so much for your hard work much appreciated. We will be back

mark c, Owner at The Oak Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Vanessa, thank you for finding the time to leave us a review. I am glad you enjoyed your golden wedding celebration here with us. I shall pass your kind words onto the rest of the staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Many Thanks Oak Barn Management

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited with my family on 1st September and was absolutely delighted with the choice, quality and presentation of the meal that was provided
Highly recommended, go see for yourself

mark c, Owner at The Oak Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Millie, thank you for finding the time to leave us a review. I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the birthday meal with us. I shall pass your kind words onto the rest of the staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Many Thanks Oak Barn Management

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Visit for a Friday lunch in the springtime. Walked from Wivelsfield railway station quite easily, but the Oak Barn has plenty of good parking space in well laid-out grounds. The restaurant has the feel of an authentic old barn but I am not sure whether an old wagon wheel serves any purpose up above the restaurant tables, nor whether the piped music adds anything to an authentic medieval experience.

I joined my group of friends at a long reserved table, and enjoyed a fish-and-chip lunch including pints of excellent Harveys Sussex Best Bitter brought to the table. I would have preferred our server (and colleagues) to be wearing a smart Oak Barn uniform but they seemed to be wearing different black outfits, not really a professional restaurant appearance. Two gents on the staff may have been wearing matching waistcoats.

My fish-and-chips was good but not the best value in the area, with reference to Britain's best known pub operator which has premises in nearby Burgess Hill town centre. However I have noted the pleasant rural aspect and the good parking at The Oak Barn, a more relaxed atmosphere without a doubt.

mark c, Owner at The Oak Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for leaving us a review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us. I shall pass your comments onto the rest of the staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Many Thanks Oak Barn Management

Reviewed 2 September 2018

From start to finish the service was amazing. We were a last minute booking and although they were busy with a wedding party and other customers they made room for us. The service was impeccable. We were a group of 9 and we arrived early and had drinks at the bar, the waitresses looked after us the whole time and as soon as we were ready to eat they took us to our table. I had the Chicken skewers, which I’d had before and the food was delicious.

The staff, the food and the over ambience of the Oakbarn is amazing. It was so good that I wanted to go back the next night!

mark c, Owner at The Oak Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Hi, thank you for finding the time to leave us a review. I am glad to hear that you were well looked after throughout your visit with us. I shall pass your comments onto the rest of the staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Many Thanks Oak Barn Managment

Reviewed 31 August 2018

The actual golf course is great and I play there frequently, well, I used to until yesterday. After the usual round I went into the restaurant for a lunchtime meal with a friend. We got there before noon and the restaurant was nearly empty. We waited over 20 minutes to have our order taken and then waited another 57 minutes whilst the restaurant inside and out filled up and everyone’s apart from us got their meal. We left at 13.17pm.
The waiting staff were very polite and friendly as they always are and so are the golf staff. It really is a nice place to go and unwind. When we finally decided to call it a day, we went to the bar where I said to a waitress out of courtesy that we were sat at table ‘81’ but couldn’t wait any longer so we’re going to leave and could she pass the message in to please cancel the order. She smiled and nodded.
As we went to walk toward the door the restaurant manager literally ran toward me with his arms flapping around and stopped just short of my face. He shouted ‘what’s all this then?’ in the most aggressive and confrontational way. I literally started to take steps backwards so hostile was his behaviour. I was greatful he was so small otherwise I’d have been physically frightened this.
He wouldn’t let me spea a single word and shouted over me. When I finally said ‘you’re just not listening are you?’ He said ‘right, you, out now.’ I was thrown out.
I couldn’t believe how I had been humiliated in front of a restaurant full of people. And as I left, stunned, I called the centre to try and find the General Manager to make a complaint. He wasn’t onsite and they put me back through to this awful person who then proceeded to shout abuse at me again and wouldn’t let me speak. I asked him if he would give me his name and he refused. I asked for the General Managers name, again he said ‘no.’ I then said ‘how on earth can you think the way you have treated me can be in any way acceptable customer service?’ He said he thought I was the ‘type’ to write bad reviews and complain. He just kept loading insult upon insult. Breathtaking.
He said I had upset a waitress and had only waited 23 minutes from ordering before we left which was nonsense. This person shouldn’t ever be allowed to go anywhere near a customer service role and this is coming from a registered nurse with 25 years experience of dealing with the public.

3  Thank Lisa M