4,321 results
All reviewsmain barfishsnack barpastatwo weekscubanito barbeach restauranta la cartegreat holidaytoastiesbeautiful beachchurrosbuffet restaurantsales managerentertainment staffthe thomas cook repnew friends
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I will try to give an honest review of this wonderful hotel and perhaps you can judge by my previous reviews of Brisas Covarrubias and Club Amigo Mayanabo
The transfer from the airport took around 35mins, but because it was dark, it was not possible to see too much of the surrounding area.
Check in was slow due to a group of tourists, seemingly unaware that new tourists needed to check in and the receptionists were doing their very best to move things along as fast as they could.
A second floor room was requested, but after dinner we realized the 15 or so steps were a bit too much for someone who has a knee problem. Needless to say, the following morning we were treated to kindly and told it was not a problem. Once the tourists had left the hotel, we were given a beautiful bungalow, immaculately clean, comfortable beds,clean sheets, long soft pillows, fluffy bath towels and an abundance of hot water. Never did we see any bugs,frogs or other creepy crawlies. A large bottle of water was supplied every day.
Many thanks to out to Reinaldo, who, seeing us move our luggage ready for the bellboy, immediately came to the top of the stairs and carried it down,. Thank you dear sir.
My comments re the main restaurant are much the same, if you need a good selection from the buffet, the ideal time to arrive is as soon as they are open, therefore not many line-ups.
There was a small problem reserving the a la Carte restaurant for a very special day, but was told everything jhad been reserved. As soon as management knew of our disappointment, an immediate reservation was made and to our surprise a table decorated with a lovely message, plus a bottle of sparkling wine. Thank you so much to our waiter and especially to Al at Customer Service.
The lobby is large with comfortable armchairs inside and out, small tables which some are signed for smokers, but sometimes during the week, the smoke became a little too much to sit for long to enjoy the evening's talented entertainment,
Highlights of the entertainment team for two evenings, were the band and the great beach party, where the animation team along with the dancers, made sure everyone had a fun evening. Do not miss if you can.We had a great time and you all know who is responsible for making our holiday great.
A nice surprise was the beach restaurant where at 12:30 a lovely lunch menu is offered, consisting of fish with orange sauce and three or four more choices. A small salad bar is also available. All restaurants and bars serve water from large bottles and therefore not a chance of getting sick. Tonic water is also available.
The restaurant was a very pleasant change and again, the staff always pleasant.
On our walk from the bungalow to the beach we saw the devastation that had been and it was clear how much the hotel had suffered. One can only imagine how hard the staff had worked to bring the hotel back to its present standaard.
Gardeners were very polite, always a smile. Make a point of seeing Kiko the small falcon who sits on the gardener's shoulder, but he will come and sit on your hand or shoulder if the gardener is around. Special mention to Lazero who made a point of leaving beautiful floral arrangements on our door every day. Who could ask for more!!
In closing I hope this is a sincere review and do thank the previous tourists who helped us decide to visit this wonderful hotel with its amazing staff. You were correct, and before closing would like to give special thanks to Nolido and Al for doing everything in their power to ensure our week was perfect. You guys are the best and we will return for sure.
One more thing, the Sunwing rep George, gave a very funny and informative meeting for the new tourists. Not as boring as most. Thanks also to Migel, Hola Sun rep for coming by to give us information,..
You may contact me if you have any questions.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank margarita12136
Nelido Arsenio C, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear margarita12136,

We are so happy we have met your expectations in your first visit! Thank you very much for your opinion and your time to review it. As you said our potentional are staff and beach, they make the difference and they make worth you have spent your holiday close to us! we hope to see you one more time laying in front of our spectacular beach Spot or Around the pool area drinking a cuban cocktail, taking a nap or reading a book and enjoying the purity of the nature at Sol Cayo Guillermo style. See you soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I began staying here 19 years ago and Im still in love. Although Irma did alot of damage, and its lost its lushness, a 1000 palm trees lost as well as other tress and bushes, its still the prettiest property on Cayo Guillermo. The view!!!! I have traveled all over the carribean and stayed at high end hotels and paid highly for beautiful views that just sitting out side the lobby here at Sol you have the most amazing view ever for alot less pesos!!! I love that the hotel is smaller and everything is close and comfy. Rooms are basic, but what else do you need, I dont come to sit in my room....and the views from your patio and balconies are paradise....palms, ocean, tropical gardens. Birds singing, and little walkways. Food- there is always something to eat, I eat clean so its alittle more difficult for me but they put out great variety at the salad station and I can make myself a whole meal and add some fresh grilled fish and perfect!!! In February I brought my Eziekiel bread, which is a whole grain perservative freeclean eating bread and the gentlemen at the snack bar happily made me a tuna sandwhich with veggies. Every trip Im there this guy is smiling, happy, talks to you and is a pleasure! I wish I was better with names. The Staff- I cannot say more about the staff, they are family, they are all so good to my son, Jose that he dosnt ever want to stay anywhere else! Nelido is wonderful and will take care of you, he works so hard to accomodate all the guests and really cares. You will see him everywhere, constantly working hard and giving you his best!! Hector on the bar is my sons favorite, and treats Jose wonderfully. Lachy ( Ricky ) we love him, our family has gotten very close to him over the last 2 years and when I come with my son or a friend he takes amazing care of us and checks we are all good....I wish I was better with names, but something as simple as I dont take sugar in my Mojitos, the bar staff always remember!! Front desk, when we arrived in February they all yelled welcome back saying hello....we felt great being welcomed so wonderfully. Little touches like these keep us coming back over and over. What really impressed us was this last visit, upon entering our room, there was Rum for my husband, which he loves, and sparkling wine, which I love, ok you totally won us over!!! Then our first night upon returning to the room to go to bed, a plate of fresh fruit waiting for us! These are simple gestures, but to us our huge. We felt our constant returns to this hotel were aknowledged and appreciated. I work in a 4 Diamond hotel, and I see how guests react when you show appreciation and do a few extra things to show them you remember them and for coming back, because thats what keeps you in business, and keeps you working!! The Entertainment- ok Ive heard and read some complaints and I cant understand any of it!!! The Rock show is amazing, Angle on guitar is amazing!!! The staff, "Lachy" ect are funny and so wonderful interacting with guests and children....the dancers!!!! All of the entertainers put amazing shows on, bravo!!! Sol Guillermo has my heart, go with a greatful heart and soak up the beauty of this place and the wonderful people who show up everyday after a 2 hour bus ride to work and give you their best! Just look out at that gorgeous ocean, with amazing colors of blue and that white beach, while sipping a mojito or sparkling wine or cappaccino and fill your lungs with the salt air, and understand how blessed we are, only 20% 0f the world gets to vacation like we do, so be happy, in a beautiful place, that I like to call my second home :)

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Dear jodivan,

We are very glad to know we have been able to provide you with another fantastic holiday experience. Thank you for have taking time to review it. It is very appreciated. It’s great have a feedback from our clients because that way we know how we are working, we loved it hear from you and we are so happy to know to have passed a good stance in our hotel, we hope to see you one more time laying in front of our spectacular beach Spot or Around the pool area drinking a cuban cocktail, taking a nap or reading a book and enjoying the purity of the nature at Sol Cayo Guillermo style. See you soon with your family. Have a great day!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This was our 5th visit to Cuba & the sol hotel last staying 3 years ago so for us we wanted to see what had changed especially since the hurricane.
The grounds...... have taken a real hit with nearly all the beautiful flowers & plants destroyed and 100’s of palm trees gone but the gardeners are working so hard replanting and you can see that soon it will be back looking amazing. Obviously the damage caused by the hurricane is not the fault of the hotel neither is the ugly hotel that’s been built at Pillar now spoiling the view on the beach! or the ‘bigger beach’ which has meant no more sand islands, we missed them! Having said all that it was our friends first time here and they said it was the most beautiful place and amazing beach totally picturesque, so has it changed due to ‘time & environment issues’ yes but it’s still stunning.
Bars.....Those that have visited before will remember the ‘Cubanito’ beach bar which was a great place to meet people with its round bar and opened late so you could enjoy evening drinks away from the noisy entertainment bar. This bar has been rebuilt with a barbecue grill next to it, the format is ‘square’ with separate seating either in the shade or on picnic style benches in the sun. Our friends that haven’t stayed before loved it! but my husband and I missed the round bar with stools which gave you an opportunity to talk & make friends. It also closed at 6/7pm so evening drinks had to be in the warm lobby bar or entertainment bar. I did feed this back to Nelido who said we were not the first to suggest later opening ( so hopefully when the hotel is back to full capacity they might look at opening later into the evening...fingers crossed).
Jeorge at the beach bar was fab! Very funny & made bill cocktails he and the barbecue grill chef next door had good rapport we all had great fun.
Great coffee in the lobby bar early morning with beautiful views of the sunrises.
Entertainment bar great, good choice of drinks, never had an issue with anything running out & staff once again fab!!
Food.....I think had improved from our last stay there was always plenty of choice my favourite been the pasta bar. Breakfast egg & pancake man was funny making fun shaped pancakes and lunch time the barbecue hut was open every day. We even took salad & cheese from the main restaurant and added the extras to our burger on the beach.....bliss.
The two special restaurants are lovely you can book once per week & if your lucky you might get extra visits if they not fully booked or get a cancellation. Our favourite was the Cuban on the beach front, the menu was great and the lady running things there was fantastic!!
Snack bar toasties yum yum.
Rooms.....we had 2 beach front bungalows in the 800’s, the rooms were clean with comfy beds. We had a couple of issues in our room (air con & toilet) but both were sorted out and followed up by the management to ensure we were happy.
Our friends next door didn’t have any problems with their room.
The rooms aren’t flash or modern but there clean & comfy we don’t go to Cuba to spend time in the room so for us clean comfy hot water & air con what more do you need.
The staff...... at the hotel are all amazing they work so hard and such long hours but always smiling and always going out of their way to make your stay extra special. A flower from a gardener a swan towel from the maid unique cocktails at the bar and great entertainment. The management are on site ensuring things are running smoothly & any issues dealt with as soon as they arise. Nelido (manager) was great and you can see he really wants everyone to be happy.
We had a fantastic holiday all thanks to a wonderful friendly hotel, hard working staff in a stunning location.
Can’t wait to return xx

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mum05

Dear Mum05,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We are very glad to know we have been able to provide you with another fantastic holiday experience. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, especially with the one you have been kind enough to mention by name. Your comments make us feel like we are moving on the right direction to make our hotel even better for your future enjoyment. Thank you for your observation on some entertainment staff, it's already being addressed. Great to read that you will visit us again and special thanks for recommending us! Please! follow us on facebook Sol Cayo Guillermo – Cuba and send us your booking details and just ring the bell for us to look after another excellent holiday with us.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel the last week of February. Was little worried about effects of storm, but talking to staff it's been miracles getting place up and running. Some spots of islands have been affected but it's coming back.
Hotel and staff itself are wonderful and it's smaller place. My main concern has been the bathroom and lack of them working...with out having to go across the resort. Food was wonderful with great selection, suprise that was lack of greater variety of fresh fruit.
Administrative was kinda nightmare,but it's Cuba...all in time.
Worst part was leaving back home disorganized mess 4 hours to board and sitting in plane for 2 hours to get everyone in place. Not sure go to Cayo Coco again, not because of the place or hotel just the total ineffective boarding process.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dave42201

Dear dave42201,

It’s great have a feedback from our clients because that way we know how we are working, we loved it hear from you and we are so happy to know to have passed a good stance in our hotel, we hope to see you one more time laying in front of our spectacular beach Spot or Around the pool area drinking a cuban cocktail, taking a nap or reading a book and enjoying the purity of the nature at Sol Cayo Guillermo style. We hope to see you soon to Welcome you in your second home, your cuban home Have a lovely day!

Best Regards

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Really, I've got to say that I spent a really nice vacation in el Sol Cayo Guillermo! Naturally, not everything can be perfect. I don't want to complain to much because I know it's hard to live through hurricanes, but quite often a bad smell would come up around certain areas of the hotel... Altough, if there's one thing that is simply awesome in this hotel it's the crew!! The people working there are devoted and kind, they really think and act to make you spend a nice week! What I liked the most was defenetly the entertainement team!! Usually I don't participate that much in activities like these, but this time I couldn't resist! I made really good friends with some members of the crew, like Yeisel Ortiz and Jendy Rodrigez, and I already miss them! I really liked to practice my espagnol with these guys! (Thanks again by the way!) The shows were impressive and I want to say a big "Bravo!" to the dancers! So keep up the good work! And I'll probably come again!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank christchaps
Nelido Arsenio C, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear christchaps,

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor. Thank you very much for your lovely words. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, especially with the ones you have been kind enough to mention by name. Your comments make us feel like we are moving on the right direction to make our hotel even better for your future enjoyment. Great to read that you will provably visit us again and special thanks for recommending us! Please! follow us on facebook Sol Cayo Guillermo – Cuba and send us your booking details and just ring the bell for us to look after another excellent holiday with us.