All reviews desert camp camel ride erg chigaga vincent sultan border edge wifi kilometers dunes driver morocco experience trip sand
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

In some respects this is the best of the five Riads that we have stayed in. The grounds are spacious with a huge pool and nicely landscaped. The room was large and well laid out. You could actually move around and the heat worked. There were chairs to sit on and a table to use.
The only downsides were the lack of hot enough water for a shower in the evening ( although it was much hotter in the morning) and the fact that the towels felt like coarse sandpaper. But the bed was comfortable and the staff was, as usual, friendly and welcoming. Besides, I don’t think there’s much of a choice in this area.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobelaine20854
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Had an amazing stay at Dar Azawad. I arrived late at night so didn't really see the hotel before the morning after. And I was stunned, both by the desert, and by the hotel, especially the beautiful decorations and interior design. The staff was also helpful and friendly, and the food really good. (Only negative point: There is only wifi in the lobby, not in the rooms)

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Henrik K
Reviewed 2 November 2017

Pleasant well kept hotel. Large swimming pool and garden. Large well decorated lounges to sit in. Good rooms (recommendation: Sultan rooms; the standard rooms are the usual bungalow type). Hotel shows it age (Vincent the previous owner designed the place some 20 years ago) as some floor tiles are missing but in view of the pleasant overall look and feel and atmosphere this is not important.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dinant2016
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

I recently spent two nights at Dar Azawad in M'Hamid so I could visit the nearby Erg Chigaga. The facility itself was quite well cared for with a great decor. They even had a decent bar which can be hard to come by in Morocco as well as a pool to help break the daytime heat. I received I free upgrade to a larger room as there were very few guests while I was there. The staff were friendly and did their best to make sure guests were well cared for.

My only complaint is that the staff booked an early morning 4 X 4 trip to the dunes for me to see sunrise. I was assured the driver would speak adequate English as he was my guide. The reality is that a young local kid picked me up and spoke virtually no English. For the one hour and forty five minutes we drove each way and there was no speaking other than the random ok? On our arrival at the dunes(before sunrise) he pointed to the tallest dune, which was about a kilometre away and said "you go there". He parked in a Bivouac camp on the edge of the dunes and went to hang out with the staff there. So for the $220 CAD they charged me I didn't get a guide to take me on a desert excursion to explain the desert and take me into the dunes. I got a kid who drove me without a word for 3 hours total and then directed me(a tourist) to walk in the dark out into strange dunes. Fortunately I brought my own headlamp as the "guide" provided me nothing. On returning to the vehicle after sunrise I found the kid sleeping in the back seat. He had to be awoken after I had breakfast at the local camp. Then the long, silent drive back to Dar Azawan. That evening I also had a camel ride booked to "local dunes" to see sunset. After my dismal morning experience I immediately canceled that as the local dunes are minor sand drifts behind the hotel. The front desk staff insisted I still had to pay because the camel was booked. I argued and they relented $10 on the total bill. I suggest you book any excursions through another company as my experience in the desert was dismal.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank grantw644
Reviewed 14 March 2017

The hotel is very comfortable and beautiful: rooms, reception, garden, swimming pool, restaurant everything was made in authentic Moroccan style and very good taste. Breakfast is also very good and the team is amazing! Always ready to help and fulfill all your needs. Keltouma was extremely kind and efficient from the moment I sent my first e-mail full of doubts about the desert experience. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: Rooms are spread out along the garden, in little "houses". I was very happy with the sultan room :-)
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple