All reviewschowderbit datedbar menusingle roomspanish point beachcomfortable hotelwest clareno liftmiltown malbayattending a weddingstaff were so friendlygolf coursehome from homeboth nightsfunction roomco claretop class
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and baby recently
Lovely clean family run hotel
Food was lovely
Rooms were clean and tidy
Staff were friendly and more than helpful
Will definitely come back for a stay soon
Top notch and good value for money

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Ok the reality is that the Bellbridge House Hotel represents 50% of the “Hotel” accommodation to be had in Spanish point, so on that point of fact, when looking for somewhere to stay in the area you really have only two hotel options open too you. The Bellbridge sits on the Milltown Malbay side of Spanish point with the Armada Hotel (sister hotel of the Hotel Doolin), sits on the Lahinch side and stand no more than 10 or 15 minutes’ walk away from each other. So if you’re looking to use both say for stay and dining for example it’s certainly an option. Anyway first off there is a difference in the star rating, the Bellbridge is rated 3 stars and the Armada 4, so one would immediately expect a difference. To be 100% honest there is a difference, the Bellbridge has the feel of a much older building, or at least one that has received less refurbishment initiatives over the years There is no lift, so access to the 2nd floor is by stairs only and the internal décor is reflective on a more dated style. This represents my 3rd stay here vs about 8 stays in the Armada, but the Bellbridge certainly represents greater value for money with a decent standard of accommodation. That said some real the hotel does need some work, a complaint I had in some rooms in the Armada too, but while they have embarked on a serious refurbishment programme the Bellbridge has not and is (perhaps) slipping too far behind. Anyway don’t be turned off just yet, every cloud has a silver lining and every hotel stay can have its good points bad.
We arrived at about 6:30 in the evening, as work commitments prevented me from arriving earlier, and we had booked under a 2Night Bed and Breakfast Package, the rate of which was absolutely unbeatable and represented less than have the price of a comparable per night rate in the Armada. The receptionist was reasonably welcoming and handled my check in quickly and efficiently. I was handed the keys and the floor and location of the stairs was noted to me. There was however no offer of assistance with bags (which had to be brought up stairs) nor was their and supplementary information provided regarding breakfast, locations, services etc. Having visited the hotel before I was aware I knew the run of the place but to a first time visitor I would have thought that the checking process was a little lacking in depth, I was the only one checking in so there was not pressure at the time. Attending with my mother I lifted the bags up myself individually as she was not able to do so. I must note however I was aware that this would have to be done as I had requested a 1st floor room and was told at booking that no lift was available. The room was only a few doors down the hall and was at the face of it clean and exceptionally warm. The carpet albeit a bit dated and I would say a few years old. The room was of average size, but perhaps a little small for a twin room. The bathroom was again exceptionally warm (all welcome as it was a very cold day) well stocked and clean, but again was in need of some refurbishment.
After settling in we went down to the bar and had something light to eat, the menu was pretty decent with a good choice of fan favourites, and pricing was actually quite keen for a holiday location. Food was served promptly and was hot, nicely presented and with good sized portions. To my disappointment there was no craft beers either on draft or in bottles, (I technically classify drinks such as Smithwicks Blond, Hop House 13, etc as not being real craft beers), but I did have a pint of the Hop House and it was fine, but knowing how it tastes I would say they don’t have much flow on it, the 2nd pint was better . We sat beside the Gas open fire and it was lovely, very warm and not too busy. We then went for a walk down to the Armada Hotel, and Johnny Burkes Bar, (a personal favourite of mine) and had a few drinks there. Returning to the Bellbridge at about 10pm. We retired shortly thereafter and enjoyed a good sleep. I did have to turn off the radiators and open a window during the night due to the heat of the room, but again not complaining!
I’m personally a light sleeper and woke early, I had left the window open but the room was still quite warm, I noticed some damage/corrosion on the window frames of both the bathroom and the bedroom, it wasn’t directly causing a problem but didn’t look great when opened. I had a shower around 6am and was delighted with plenty of piping hot water. (Water pressure and water temperature is a problem I had in the Armada previously). It was a very cold fresh and bright morning so I went for a walk around. It’s such a beautiful area, and I was the first one on the beach and the view was exceptional. I returned around 8am and my mother was awake and dressed ready for breakfast. On arrival at about 8:15, the buffet was not ready and instead service was to the table. Choice of hot food was standard, but choice of cold options was limited to fruit/yogurt and a few pastries. If your either a vegetarian or like a more continental style you might have to stick to toast or porridge. Anyway breakfast was fine it did the job and what we did get there was plenty of it.

We spent most of the morning and early afternoon away, and I watched the days big Rugby game in the Armada returning to the hotel at about 4:30pm. A quick shower and change of clothes and we went down and had a glass of wine before deciding what to do for the evening. Despite being cold we walked again to the Armada and had some drinks and food there. We returned at about 9pm and had dessert in the Bellbridge. This was served quickly and at all times staff were pleasant and accommodation. Sitting by the fire for a while we retired about 10pm and had a 2nd good night sleep. My Sunday morning routine was virtually identical to Saturday, however we arrived down to breakfast about 30 mins later than the day before at which point the Buffet was fully stocked. The choices of cold breakfast was as the day before.
Back to the room within the hour, we packed up and prepared to leave having a decent journey ahead of us. Checkout was handled by the same person who was friendly and while we were asked how our stay was, there was no further interaction. Another slow drive along the round bordering the beach and we said goodbye to the Bellbridge and Spanish point after my 1st visit to the area of 2018.
Overall I can’t really complain, the hotel did exactly what it said on the tin. The room was fine, warm and clean, and the refurbishment needs were purely cosmetic. If you’re looking for a sexy, sleek or stylish hotel then you’re not going to get it here, but if you’re looking for a comfortable stay, that reflects great value for money then I would have no issue in recommending the hotel. If your looking for a level up in terms of standard then the Armada is for you, but be prepared to pay considerably more and have a look at my previous reviews, it hasn't always been 100%

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view (although its limited), if you do you will have to climb stairs as no customer lift is present.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

A lovely hotel, clean with friendly and helpful service, good food (great Irish breakfast) and a wonderful location, handy for walks along the beach and further afield, I would definitely visit there again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Hotel was nice and room was clean, staff were friendly and helpful, can't fault the place on that.

I felt the place was a little over decorated and it all seemed quite dated.

Food was OK, had the curry in the restaurant which was just "curry favour" and came in about 1 minute so was not fresh, probably recommend sticking to the pub classics. Breakfast was fine.

WiFi was only available in the public areas (reception and bar) and even then it was painfully slow. So don't expect much connectivity while you stay. If management are reading this, upgrade your WiFi, us younger tourists plan our trips using the internet on our phones in our rooms, and not being able to do this was a major pain.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights as I was attending a friends wedding. The hotel was lovely, clean and had a friendly atmosphere. We had dinner in the bar one evening that was delicious and had breakfast the next day. There was a good variety of choice for breakfast and the hotel staff were very friendly. Although the rooms weren’t the most up-to-date rooms they were spacious and clean. The walls were very thin so it was easy to hear conversations in the hallway or next door to our room. Overall the hotel was perfect for what we needed, a great location and stunning views.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple