“Professional and fun with pristine dive sites”
Review of Scallywag Divers

Scallywag Divers
Ranked #9 of 26 Tours in Gili Air
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Open daily from 8am to 7pm, Scallywag Divers offers a range of PADI endorsed diving experiences, ranging from "Discover Scuba Diving' right through to 'Divemaster'. Located next to our Scallywags Beach Club on the pristine Island of Gili Air, Lombok, we are right on the doorstep of some of the most glorious dive spots in the Indonesian Archipelago
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had an excellent time at Scallywag Divers! All of the team are friendly and fun and the dive sites are simply breathtaking (lucky there's a SCUBA tank ;) ).

The team (especially Max, Ben, and Yas) were very accommodating and ran us through a refresher as we hadn't dived for a couple of years. After the first few moments we were back to it and out on the reef.

The dive sites are beautiful with lots of Hawksbill and Green Sea turtles to see as well as rich sea life, corals, even a ship wreck.

We didn't get time to complete a night dive as we were traveling with friends however these were widely spoken about and depart as a walk-in dive from the beach front.

Can't wait to head back to Gili Air to dive here again!

ScallywagsManagement, Manager at Scallywag Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of Scallywag Divers!

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and loved taking you and Jason on some amazing dives. Hopefully we will see you again soon so we can show you the wonderful world of night diving!

Enjoy your travels & happy bubbles!

All reviews
"dive school"
in 9 reviews
"excellent team"

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Me and my friend went on a fun dive. The instructor Yasel took a group of four of us. Some people did not dive for 3-5 years. During the briefing she did not inform the group to not interact with turtles neither to touch the coral etc. During the dive my friend touch the turtle with his fins and the instructor Yasel got very upset about it under water. It seemed that she cut our dive short due to this incident. When we got out she informed my friend that he should of not done that which was ok but thereafter she was giving us the attitude and it felt slightly awkward. When we got back to the office she did not hesitate to inform everyone that my friend “kicked” the turtle. It was highly embarrassing and not entirely true. I could feel the attitude from the instructor which was highly unnecessary to make customers feel like that. I would advise them to conduct a better briefing before the dives and keep it professional. When we were talking later on with Yasel she has recommended a beef meal in a restaurant next door, how ironic is that you slather animals and enjoy their flesh and you get upset when someone touches a turtle.

ScallywagsManagement, Manager at Scallywag Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi Konrad,

We are sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your dive. Upon signing up for the dives we were aware of your friends not having dived in 3-5 years and we strongly recommended they conduct a refresher. PADI recommend a refresh to be done after just 6 months of diving inactivity and we of course cannot force anybody to do something they do not wish to do. Your friends explained that they did not want to conduct a refresh course and that they would be fine and comfortable on the dive.

Your dive was not cut short because your friend kicked the turtle, he was actually low on air (50 bar), at which point we end the dive. These are safe diving practices and procedures which are routinely followed every day by all our instructors.

After speaking with your friend after the dive it was made clear, by him, that he kicked the turtle because he wanted it to move for his own entertainment. He was a certified Open Water Diver, you are a certified Advanced Open Water Diver and therefore should know that you should not disturb aquatic life nor touch anything under the water. This is even made clear in introductory Discover Scuba Diving sessions.

Leave only bubbles, take only photos, remove only trash. The underwater world is a completely different ecosystem to on land and we, as divers, must respect that.

We do, however, apologise if you feel the situation could have been handled differently.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Did a discovery dive with these guys as we were short on time and didn’t get our Padi done before we flew here. Everything about them was absolutely spot on. Our guide (wish I’d caught his name, the Canadian dude) was incredible at his job and made my partner and I super comfortable from the pool to the reef. Was a great day out there and I’m already planning my next trip back with my open water so I can spend a few days doing some more adventurous dives with Scallywags! Thanks!

ScallywagsManagement, Manager at Scallywag Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hello!

Thank you so much for your great review of Scallywag Divers.

We are really glad you enjoyed your first time diving and want to continue the adventure!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Second time I have dived with them.

They are very professional, safety conscious, and the equipment is very well taken care of.

All divers are provided with a dive watch, and gear is included which saves in baggage allowance!

They chose dive sites based on our abilities and preferences, and I really felt like I got the best our of my trip.

All 3 ladies working were friendly and really knew what they were talking about.

They worked on our weighting, and I successfully managed to drop 1kg which was a nice extra touch.

Hopefully I will manage a third trip later this year!

Hello!

Thank you so much for you lovely review of Scallywag Divers. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Customer safety and satisfaction is very important to us and we love to help you develop as divers and become the best and most comfortable diver you can be.

We hope to see you again on your next trip!

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 March 2018

My boyfriend and I decided to do the Open Water Dive course while we were at Gili T and Scallywags was recommended.

We’re so happy we decide to do the course. They limit the class to two people so you’re getting so much attention and instruction.

We had Harry who is super awesome, funny, fun, and a great instructor. He was so calm and patient. He explains everything multiple times thoroughly so you feel confident and ready to dive. On the dive he takes time to make sure everyone is ok and is very good at calming you down when you’re not! I can’t recommend Harry enough.

Hi Marissa,

Thank you for you great review of Scallywag Divers. We are so glad you enjoyed doing your course with us! Harry is a fab instructor and I will be sure to let him know of your review.

Keep blowing bubbles and we hope to see you again for some more underwater adventures!