All reviewsbbq nightpool areanext yearhotel overlookingair conyogurthamfamily roomlovely friendly peoplefriendly hotelboiled eggslovely ladyplenty of sunbedsgreek dancingother guestscomfortable sunbedsrooms are large
Reviewed 11 October 2017

First of all I have to put my cards on the table and admit to being a repeat visitor at this hotel. We stayed at the Melidron in September 2016 (see previous review) and recently stayed again for 2 weeks in September 2017. Having had a fabulous 50th birthday treat in a very top notch five star hotel in February this year I must say I was wondering whether the five star experience there would affect my impression of the Melidron second time around.
I needn't have worried. The welcome was as good if not better from the owners and staff. This is a small three star family hotel, it's not aiming to be a five star establishment but the warmth of the welcome and quality of this hotel stand out.
This place is for those who are looking for a relaxing Greek holiday experience. The joy of the Melidron in my opinion is the relaxed Greek atmosphere, the quiet pool, the joy of a relaxed breakfast, no rush to get a spot by the pool here. There are plenty of comfortable loungers to go around. The poolside bar is open all day so plenty of opportunity for a beer, milkshake, cocktail etc.
For us we found the food to be very good. The Greek food on the lunch menu was some of the best we ate in Skala.
The breakfast is as advertised, it's not attempting to provide a 'cooked english' experience and personally for that I am most glad. There is a good choice on offer, ham, tasty fresh tomatoes, cheese, 3 types of fresh bread, freshly cut fruit, fabulous Greek yoghurt, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, muesli and cereal, fresh cake, honey, jam, marmalade. The toasters are a bit of a challenge to get used to but they worked fine.

We stayed in room A24 on the second floor towards the rear of the hotel, lovely and quite here, coincidentally the same room as last year, it's one of the extra large family rooms (there are two sizes of family room by the way). This has the two balconies, one in the bedroom one in the sitting room. The bedroom is spacious with built in storage, plenty of hanger space and plenty of hangers. Free air conditioning in both rooms which worked well and was quiet enough to be able to sleep. From memory I think the hotel is about 10 years old and the style of the rooms reflect this. Personally I think the décor is fine, this isn't a boutique style hotel. The rooms are well maintained and clean. The beds are comfortable, and 2 types of pillows are provided per person, one set of 2 are the soft downey type, the other set of 2 are the firmer hollow fill type.
There are no cooking facilities in the room but we ate lunch quite regularly in our room (sitting on the balcony) and the kitchen is well stocked with utensils, plates, bowls, etc.
There's also a decent sized fridge which works well.
The bathroom in A24 isn't large, how much space do you need for a shower, toilet and washbasin though? It's definitely a shower for one, but there's plentiful hot water and in the Greek way you can look out of the high level window while enjoying your shower.
For me the bathroom was fine, everything worked well, there's storage for toiletries, and the bathroom was cleaned daily. The shower cubicle itself is getting a little worn and the sealant in the shower was discolouring, but I was looking at the view of Greece out of my little bathroom window when I was showering and listening to the cicadas, bliss.
The hotel is very well maintained, grounds are kept tidy, the pool while not large is very clean and great for a dip. At the rear of the hotel there is plenty of room for parking if you choose to hire a car for a few days. I noticed this year that the kids climbing frame at the rear of the hotel is no longer there.
We really enjoyed our 2 weeks again, we had a fabulous time, probably even more so than the first time, so I'll have to admit to booking to go again for a third time (a new record for us).

If you are looking for a Greek holiday in the true sense, a relaxed environment, where you can while away your days at the beach, or by the pool then I recommend the Melidron and am already looking forward to our next stay. September 2018 seems a long way away though.

7  Thank Trail
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

We booked this hotel (via Thomson) nearly 18 months in advance based mainly on the reviews left on TripAdvisor. However, having recently returned from our holiday I feel that some of the reviews left do not accurately reflect this actual hotel...

•the staff are completely as described. They are welcoming and warm from greeting you off the coach to waving you off again
•the pool area is clean & the sunbeds particularly comfortable. We didn't have any issues getting a bed at any time of the day but we did feel that the pool is significantly smaller than the photos seem
•the average age group whilst we were there was around 60+ (this makes the hotel super quiet and relaxing) but something to bear in mind for others especially if you have children.
•the hotel rooms are fairly spacious and comfortable. However, the showers are small, the rooms quite dated and in parts could benefit from a bloody good scrub! However, the maid calls daily and the towels and bedding are changed regularly
•breakfast is repetitive. There are 2 cereals, a bowl of fruit, a basket of bread, ham, cheese, sliced tomato and fried eggs. EVERYDAY. After a couple of days we decided to eat elsewhere...
•location to Skala town is brilliant and there are some lovely places to eat along the way. Supermarket is about 100 metres to the left (although don't expect the staff to smile!)

Kefalonia is a beautiful island and we really enjoyed getting out and about in our hire car (Perfanis).

We may return one day but I am afraid to say that it would not be to the Melidron.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lolliebuttonnose
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Just returned from spending two weeks at Melidron hotel. As soon as we arrived we were made welcome by Zefie and shown to our room. The room wss very large with twin beds, sofa, kitchenette area and bathroom wuth enclosed shower. The room's were cleaned daily. Change of sheets and towels every third day. Pool towels were also provided. Breakfast was choice of cereal, toast, yoghurt, fruit, eggs and omelette. Juice, tea or coffee. The pool area and grounds are beautifully kept. The poolside loungers are wooden streamers with cushions. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Our first time here for 2 weeks. Cannot fault the staff - Theo and Nicoletta friendly, helpful and extremely hard working. The pool area,gardens and pool bar/restaurant all immaculate. However, this is not the same in the apartments. We stayed in A3 and while the bedroom area was spacious with plenty of storage the bathroom was a different matter altogether. It was tiny, dark and can only be described as filthy with mould all over the shower cubicle and filthy drain covers etc.
We also found breakfast poor quality - orange juice which was in fact very weak squash, eggs cooked 3 different ways, all cold, toasters that only toasted one side of the bread and stale bread. Fruit salad cut into such small pieces it was impossible to identify what you were actually eating and no sign of any bacon or sausage at all. We endured this for the first week and then went down the road to Symposium, where for 5 euros you could get a full english with loads of hot toast and a pot of tea/coffee all brought to you. We did try to talk to the owner about the problems we encountered but unfortunately found her most unreceptive and were left with no alternative but to go to the Rep - who was excellent. I think Thomas Cook need to look inside the apartments here and not just at the communal areas which give an entirely different impression. I also feel that they have so many repeat visitors that they have become a bit complacent when it comes to cleaning/maintenance in the apartments. Having said that we had a great holiday in Skala but would try alternative accommodation if we ever return.

2  Thank sarah c
Reviewed 30 September 2017

From the minute we arrived we felt welcome! Escorted to our room by Zefie - and loved it straight away. Each room is different - we had B3 - overlooking the pool and sea view. Great for this time of year - although balcony may be too hot at the height of the summer. Free air con, fridge and kettle supplied - no cooking facilities but we were not intending to do any anyway as its B and B. Breakfast is good - what you expect in Greece - fruit, yogurt, cold meat, cheese, tomatoes and eggs cooked in various ways! Craved a slice of bacon by the end of the week though!! Lovely pool - although cold at this time of year (late Sept) . Always a warm welcome welcome at the bar - Nicoletta is a lovely lady, and Theo always there working hard! Defiantly recommend this hotel - hope to return one day with the family .

Room Tip: B3 and B4 overlook the pool, others have great views as well though.