1,018 results
All reviewsashford castlewilde's restaurantlough corribquay barduplex suitequay suitegas firelake view suitecourtyard roomhorse ridingunderfloor heatingcong villagequiet manlounge areawedding guestsafternoon teabar food
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We received a gift from our children of 2 nights in The Lodge with afternoon tea in Ashford Castle.
It was like pure heaven from beginning to end.
The staff were perfectly poised at all times without being in any way intrusive.
The food was nothing short of excellent. I thought chips were chips until I tasted The Quays restaurants chips.
The room was perfectly formed and the shower was fabulous.
Afternoon tea in the Castle was a divine experience. The chicken and avocado sandwich with almonds is truly the best sandwich I’ve ever tasted. They even brought us extra ones.
Everything about the castle shouts luxury.
Chauffeur driven back to the lodge for another evening of fab dining in a fabulous hotel that for all its luxury is not at all pretentious.
The breakfast is amazing with choice and quality that is second to none.
I honestly can’t praise The Lodge at Ashford Castle enough. Their attention to detail with “seemingly” little effort is to be commended.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia H
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay and that you were well looked after. I am delighted you enjoyed all your dining experiences on the estate and that the extra little touches enhanced your stay. It is lovely to receive such gratifying feedback and I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the rest of the team.

I hope you will return to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

We recently stayed at The Lodge for two nights and our stay was nothing less than fabulous. From the outstanding booking process to the the room, the whole experience was perfect.

The hotel has beautiful food, breathtaking views and wonderful staff who create such a relaxing environment for their guests.

A special thanks to Herbert at the front desk, who made everything possible, thanks for the outstanding customer service you displayed, your an asset to the hotel.

To the night staff, Teresa and Brian, thanks for your kind hospitality and to the housekeeping team, who do a wonderful job, thank you for making our stay so enjoyable.

I would highly recommend the lodge and will most definitely be returning. Definitely worth a visit :)

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shaunaa93
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear Shauna,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made the experience extra special fro you. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team, in particular Hubert, Brian and Teresa.

Many thanks for your kind words and recommendations.

I hope you will return to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Just back from a very disappointing stay at the lodge. I bought a pigsback voucher for €240 in December as a Christmas present for my husband. The voucher included one night bed and breakfast 4 course meal in the Quay bar and scones. Great offer I thought but now I no I was ripped off completely. We drove 4 hours to the lodge. We arrived at check in to an unhelpful receptionist who seemed put out by the fact we had a voucher she did her business and asked what time would we like dinner but then said the only available time was 8.30pm. That was fine we got zero info on anything around the lodge or the scones etc but we carried on anyways to the room which was nice but not overly clean. The valance sheet was black with the dirt on the bed and clearly had not been changed for a while and one of the teaspoons had old milk gone mouldy on it. While not nice to have a semi dirty room we got over that. The biggest sticking point was the disgraceful “4 course” thats actually a 2 course dinner of crapas !! .. We arrived at 8.30 to the bar to be told your not on the list and the waiter had to go find somebody..in the meantime the waitress arrived said we were actually on the list but the waiter was looking on the wrong system. Great BUT then she said we have no tables free till 9 but after some questioning she put us at a 4 seater instead much to her dismay. So we sat down at 8.40pm and waited eventually ordered 3 tapas dishes each at 9pm. We waited some more and some more half 9 past and NOTHING not even an “are you ok” from the waitress while we sat for 40 minutes..Food arrived at 9.40pm COLD and wrong. The pork and sausage roll was disgusting and tasted off, the 2 bits of chicken was just bones and the slider was not as it was ordered and cold and dry. Nobody asked were we ok we sat looking at the plates till 10.15 then had to chase someone to order our 2nd course of dessert which didn’t arrive till 10.45pm most of which was left because the apple crumble was laced with spices which is not listed on the menu. It took nearly 2 and a half hours to serve 6 small tapas dishes and half a dessert. The people who arrived well after us had gotten there meals pretty much straight away with no delays so please do not try fob me off with the “We were extremely busy line” We left with a sour taste in our mouths and didn’t bother to have a drink at the bar because we were so fed up. Breakfast was a sham aswel zero staff and complete disorganisation. As for the food I have never seen green scrambled eggs with a crust on top before that was definitely a first. No breads no tea no toast and 2 poor waiters who were too busy doing 100 things at once but making extra sure to look after the couple who were planning their wedding at the lodge and not worry about other guests!!!... We checked out with the same lady who checked us in she asked how was your stay to which i replied “ Well it was only Okay” and guess what she didn’t ask why or what happened because well she just didn’t care !!!...Shocking customer service would not return or recommend to anybody.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Purplepeg
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not experience the hospitality and service we are well known for here. I am shocked to hear that such a series of events occurred to cause you a disappointing stay.

In regards to reception, I am very disappointed to hear of the unhelpful attitude displayed by a member of staff. I can assure you that this is not common practice here and the staff are well known for their friendly and helpful demeanour. We do our utmost to accommodate guests at dinner times requested but with all businesses of this nature we do operate on a first come, first serve basis. We do our best to pre-empt guest’s needs by sending a pre-arrivals letter to allow guests to make any reservations prior to arrival to avoid disappointment. I have spoken to the team and they have assured me that a voucher for the tea and scones is presented to our guests on check in, along with their key card to allow guests to avail of them at a time that suits them. I apologise if this was not communicated to you.

I am sorry for the confusion in relation to seating you at your table, this is unfortunate but I am glad to hear that it resolved upon closer inspection. I am truly disappointed at the lack of service, vigilance and the standard of food presented to you during your stay. I have discussed this with the kitchen and I can assure you that only the highest quality of food is used in our kitchens. I have passed your comments onto the relevant departments and they will take your feedback on board to help improve the quality of food and service. The apple crumble is made with only one spice, cinnamon and the recipe has been looked at to see if adjustments are needed. I have reiterated the importance to our team in checking the quality and temperature of the food before it leaves the kitchen.

We have always received very positive reviews relating to our breakfast buffet and the selection and service provided. Unfortunately on the morning in question we did have a limited team due to some unforeseen circumstances and I am sorry this impacted on your stay. We certainly do not encourage staff to be more engaging with some guests over others, we expect the same high standard of service to be given to each and every guest so I am disheartened to hear that you felt a couple getting married here got preferential treatment.

I have spoken to our house keeping team to emphasise the importance of cleanliness in all rooms. In regards to the valance, we have new valances ordered and are awaiting the delivery.

Again I must apologise for the many errors and lack of standards throughout your stay. This is not common place here and we pride ourselves on providing a superior experience for all our guests. I thank you for taking the time to highlight these points and allowing us the opportunity to rectify them to ensure a similar occurrence does not happen again

Reviewed 13 February 2018

If you book your stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle thinking you are 'downgrading' from the castle on this estate, you're in for a wonderful surprise. Speaking as someone who has stayed in both accommodation, the only thing missing is the large stone building.
Everything at The Lodge is stellar. From the magnificent suites to the incredible meals to the exceptional service.
Our Lakeview Suite exceeded our expectations. Our girls have the double twin room next door, which held milk and cookies on arrival- a fun treat for them! And, because we had both rooms from our courtyard entrance it was like having a private family suite.
We took advantage of dining options at the Lodge, eating in the Quay Bar and Wilde's, as well as partaking of the wonderful breakfast buffet. Each meal was delicious.
During our stay we took quite a few long walks to explore the grounds, as well as enjoyed a falconry experience.
From arrival to departure our stay was exceptional and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you found the standard of service and dining on par with that of the castle. We pride ourselves on a high standard of service, friendliness and attention to detail. I am very pleased to hear that you were happy with your Lakeview suite and that you found the allocated room next door appropriate for your girls and that they enjoyed their milk and cookies. I am glad you had the opportunity to take part in the Hawk walk, it really is a memorable experience and is very popular with our guests.

I hope you will return to us again n the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Why rate as excellent?

It was a combination of so many things, but first and foremost it was the service. Everyone we met from your team was friendly and chatty but never intrusive, it is clear from every interaction we had with your team that service is the name of the game at The Lodge. From the people we met on reception (Robert, Philip, Rebecca, Marion), the porter Brian, the restaurant manager (Liam) the list goes on, they each made us feel really welcome and at home.

The room was luxurious yet stylish and comfortable. I really liked the gas fire, really toasty in the evening when we came in after a long walk.

As for the food, everything we ate was delicious. The dinner in Wilde's on Friday was one of the tastiest and most enjoyable meals ever, Chef Jonathan sets the bar high. I loved the breakfasts, we were set up for the day on those. And the Irish tapas we ate on Saturday was new to me and each mouthful was heavenly.

We walked to the local village of Cong where the Quite Man was filmed, Cong Abbey and we took a boat trip on Lough Corrib. We really enjoy walking and so the formal gardens of the Castle and the extensive grounds and the neighbouring forest allowed us to walk our feet off and then come back into The Lodge and have a glass of the complimentary punch in front of the fire.

And then today after a blissful weekend we are back to reality of juggling our children and jobs but our batteries are recharged.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smk2018
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am thrilled to hear you had such an enjoyable stay and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We always do our best to ensure that all our guest's needs are met and that they are made to feel welcome and comfortable. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the rest of the team.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your room allocation and enjoyed the gas fire in the evenings. It is also lovely to hear that your dinner in Wilde's was one you will remember and that you also enjoyed the tapas in the Quay bar.

Mnay thanks for your kind words and recommendations.