“Amazing staff !!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Moalboal
home
“Amazing staff !!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Without a doubt, the best, friendliest, most accomodating staff you will ever find - they were awesome!! They knew your name from the first day and greeted you often. Remote location, so don't plan on doing much other than diving and hanging out. The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable, but I would have liked more storage or shelving. As with many dive destinations, not much else to do. We went to town hoping to find some souvenier shopping or restaurants - just buy your stuff from the guy at the resort !! So when you get tired of eating just about the same food everyday, don't get your hopes up of finding something in town. If you go to town do your shopping in the drugstore (liquor, sundries, snacks) if you want brands you have heard of. The food got to be too much of the same, but when you see the selection in town, she does a great job ! Breakfast omelets were always good, but get your toast in the toaster before you brush your teeth if you want toast with your breakfast - lol !! Dive locations weren't as diverse as everyone would have liked, and an earthquake hitting 6 weeks before we arrived didn't help, visibility wasn't great, but when you are seeing lots of micro stuff and tons of turtles it makes up for it. The boats and pier are very basic, but the staff does a wonderful job of making it as easy and comfortable as they can. The dive shop area was very nice and they had just completed renovations the day we left, so it's even nicer now. The work on the pier is behind schedule due to the earthquake, so at some point when they finish their boat and pier it will be a bit more comfortable. Hey, it's diving, get over it !! The dive staff was amazing and some of the hardest working people I have ever met - thanks Tata & Chris - love you !! The massages are well worth it, but for the fact I had mine during the day and they chatted to each other during my massages. Definately sign up for a couple of massages - great deal and very good. The bar and bartender were the only evening activity, he was wonderful, but don't expect a huge selection, but pretty good if you aren't really particular. A/C worked great ! Wi fi available near office and they were very accomodating when you needed to use a computer (office open until 10pm). All in all it was a very nice place and the staff was the best !!

Room Tip: Either a king bed or two doubles, either pool view or ocean view, other than that I think they are a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelwmn

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Marin County, California
Reviewed 31 March 2012

First, the staff MADE the resort. If it weren't for the staff it would have been barely tolerable!

Food: Littlegor is completely right - the food was ALWAYS cold no matter what time you arrived for lunch or dinner. The buffets were basically the same every night. so after 8 days I was soo looking forward to leaving. We got through breakfast by asking for yogurt (which by the third day EVERYONE was asking for) and cutting up fresh mangos and pineapple.

Rooms: We had an ocean view room and I would recommend only booking that type of room. Great view, place to sit outside and watch the sunset, and a place to hang your wet gear. Our AC wasn't really noisy, but the pillows were foam, but I asked for four more which they gave me so I was a happy camper! All the items in our room worked, however the sheets and towels - though clean - had stains which was very unappealing.

Non-diver: I would NOT recommend this resort. I sat out a third dive because I was doing a night dive and sat by the pool. NOT relaxing - there was construction going on at the dive area, people cleaning rooms, small ants climbing all over me, and the plastic lounge chairs were not adjustable. I gave up after 20 minutes and went back to my room.

Diving: The diving was very easy and would be great for a beginner. I did not experience the issues that Littlegor brought up. Our dive master was a youngster (I think I started diving when he was still in diapers ;-), but very considerate and thorough. However, I should mention that we (group of 4) are very seasoned divers usually diving our own profiles without a dive master so we were not in the least demanding. Do NOT expect to see large schooling of any type of fish. It isn't here. The marine reserve is a joke. You pay 100 pesos per dive to pay for it and we saw fisherman leaving the marine reserve almost every morning at 6am. I highly, highly recommend the night dive - it was the best of our trip. The mandarin fish were mating and we saw some of the most unbelievable crabs, starfish, and octopus - all at the end of their pier! Plan on at least an 80+ minute dive.

Boats: As mentioned, you are diving from the traditional boats which I found very easy. We did not experience any issues getting on or off our boat, however I really think it has to do with the captain. We saw the second boat captain making his divers (at times) get in the water to get on the boat. The pier is under construction, but while we were there they had finished one set of stairs and had floated a second set of stairs out to the end of the pier. I would assume that it should be done within the year, but I did not ask.

Would I go back? No. The diving just was just ok as was the resort.

Room Tip: Only book the ocean view rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank franztini
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

First, the positives. The staff at this resort are amazing - so friendly and always willing to help. They knew everyone's name and there was a big smile whenever we saw them. Sadly, the rest of the report is not so positive. This resort, while having a lot of potential, has a long way to go before it comes to an acceptable standard.

The location is about a three hour drive from Cebu airport. The resort is isolated, with nothing within walking distance. Not an issue for divers but not so great for a non diving spouse for example. There is simply not enough to do - just lying by the pool and maybe a visit to the "spa" which is a small thatched hut by the beach, providing a full range of services.

The rooms themselves are spacious. I had a pool view room but the sea view ones were larger and had a sliding glass door looking onto the water. Probably worth the upgrade since there was not much to see from the pool views. Another big advantage of the sea view rooms was that they had lines for hanging wet gear. Nothing for the pool rooms on that front. The beds and foam pillows were extremely hard and took some getting used to. That, combined with the noisy AC made for an unsettled night's sleep. While we were at the resort, there were three power failures - these did not last long but were an annoyance particularly as one occurred just after we had checked in and were trying to unpack. The rooms are equipped with fridge, kettles and hair dryers. None of these items worked in my room. When I reported to the front desk, the only action that was taken was rermoval of my kettle. There are no safety deposit boxes in the rooms so anyone concerned about valuables deposited these at the front desk. Otherwise, they were left in the rooms were the hotel said they had never had a problem.

The food for our group of 20 was served buffet style, with a mix of Filipino and western dishes. Our biggest complaint was that the food was often served cold and must have come out of the kitchen that way since it was cold no matter what time you arrived. There were steam trays but I don't think that fuel was placed in the burners on a consistent basis. There was rarely any dessert other than fresh fruit which was delicious but a bit monotonous as the same things were served three meals a day.

The dive staff were extremely hard working, involved in extremely labour intensive activities that would not have been necessary had the dive operation been better organized. Work was taking place on the dive shop while we were in residence but while we were there, there was no shower or WC in the area so going back to the rooms was the only choice.

The dive boats were Filipino style bancas (large, outrigger canoes) which were not designed to be dive boats. The worst effect of this was the difficulty of getting into and out of the boats both at the pier and while on dives. Someone in our group counted fifteen different ways that they got us onto the boats depending on the tide conditions and whether you were the first or second boat to arrive. Often, we had to swim between the boat and the pier, an activity that was particularly unpopular when it was cold and rainy out and we had just warmed up after a dive. Keeping carry aboard items dry was also an issue. There is a large pier which has been under construction for five years now - I am not sure whether its completion will improve things on this front. Getting into the boats after a dive was another mission as the ladders were not quite long enough to get a foothold on the bottom rung. Not being designed as dive boats, there was really no efficient place to store extra tanks, weights etc. with the result that these items were lying about on the deck creating a tripping hazard for anyone wishing to move around the boat. One member of our group fell and dislocated a shoulder part way through the trip, cutting short his dive opportunities.

The divemasters themselves appeared to be of varying competence. The other boat had the head divemaster and those divers seemed very pleased with him - they also seemed to have a very good rapport. Our boat was a different story with two divemasters who had only been with the operation for just over a year. The kindest thing to say was that they were not seasoned and therefore failed to keep control of the divers in their group. Although gloves are not permitted on dives, two divers were allowed to wear them and were often seen dragging themselves along the coral wearing these gloves. Even worse, the two dvemasters and these same two divers had metal sticks that they used to secure themselves against the current by poking into the coral. They also used these same sticks to poke the fish and other creatures in order to create better photo opportunities. The divemasters used these sticks to drive out shy creatures that had gone into hiding under rocks, etc. Briefings were abbreviated and not very informative. We had one dive were currents were extremely strong and the highlight was a cave at 100'. Neither of these factors was mentioned in the briefing with result that one diver had a panic attack when he realized the conditions, aborted the dive and never got in the water again. Two divers down out ot twenty - a ten percent casualty rate, both of which might have been avoidable. On another occasion, our divemaster told our group of five to go down to the moorring line and await the rest of the group. I did this and waited for eight minutes for the best of the group, which failed to materialize. When I realized how long I had been there alone, I decided that they were not coming and went off in search of the group on the reef. When I could not find them, I decided to return to the boat as I had already been left alone for fifteen minutes and was not comfortable with this dive any longer. On my way back, I chanced to run into the group. It turned out that one of the members of the group had decided she did not like the divemaster's plan and had decided to stay on the surface, not at the mooring (which was at 40') and had convinced the rest of the group to do the same. The divamaster decided to stay with them as he said he figured it was better to lose one person than four - that's why I was left alone. So unprofessional. The diving itself was unremarkable. Poor visibilty and little variety on the dives - there was little to distinguish one dive site from another and we ended up returning to same sites three and four times during our eight days of diving.

I cannot reccommend this resort on any front. It has a lot of improving to do.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank LittleIgor
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I have never enjoyed a spot as much as this. We arrived in Cebu after a long flight and were picked up by Kasai Village staff. The ride was long but they made it fun for us. When we arrived at the resort it seemed like it only took all of the staff a few minutes to remember everyones name. The check in staff, restaurant staff, dive staff, and even the groundskeepers were all wonderful. We had a great meal and after a long trip we were ready for bed but first I went for a massage. For about $35 I had the most wonderful massage. Regular massages are about $17 but the deluxe one hour massage with two therapists is to die for. I thought that this could be a disaster if the therapists had an uneven touch but frankly they were perfectly matched. I had a massage every day.

The rooms were clean, fresh and roomy. The bathroom was so clean. I noticed that one guest mentioned noisy airconditioning. I didn't notice the air conditioning at all. The balcony had a great view.

Probably one of the most notable features of this resort is it's dive shop area. Completely open with a separate are for every guest to hang their gear. I have attached a picture of this area as it was so nice. All our equipment was washed and made ready for the next days diving by a great staff. We were able to dive nitrox at a reasonable cost for the week.

The dive staff were excellent. Our group of 16 divers (plus one additional couple) were put on two separate boats and we were treated royally. The diving was great, the divemasters were so good at pointing out things to see (although after probably 100 turtles I began to get tired of seeing the sign for turtles). Lot of macro and the Pescador Island sarding dive was really interesting. The water was so warn on each dive (between 84 and 86 degrees F) that I never wore a wet suit on the entire trip.

The restaurant was very good. Meals were available as soon as we got off the boat for lunch and we could have breakfast early. Supper was a treat at about 6 which gave time for a massage before the meal. Every one of the staff were outstanding in their desire to provide excellent service.

The front desk staff were all very good and they made a real effort to greet you every day. Since our sleep schedule was off from the trip the first morning I was up about 4:30. Staff were arriving for the day and they were so friendly. The fellow working to freshen up the landscaping was so accomodating as one of the members of our group found a couple of hermits crabs had wandered into the swimming pool. He dropped everything and went to work extracting them from the pool.

Michael Peterson the owner is a great guy, very hands on and his family are all involved as well.

The final night the staff put on a goodby show for us and it was so fun. Not professional but very personal. The owners two young children were dancing in the show and they were delightful. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Every room is excellent. The rooms away from the beach back onto an area where there is a rooster w...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank bob1948lds
Ann arbor
Reviewed 10 January 2012

we spent a week at Kasai Village and dived three times a day in general. The house reef was awesome, with an incredible number of species of fish, invertebrates and coral. Staff were terrific at helping us find unusual and stunning specimens including mandarin fish spawning. Our room was immaculate and had a beautiful view of the sea and pier. I'd recommend this repost highly. Btw the spa is outstanding!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple