6,641 results
All reviews tranquility pool surf and turf ocean front lobster la brisa indoor pool star friends butler service lobby bar other resorts pillow menu oceanfront room international buffet pool concierge welcome home lunch buffet top shelf
Reviewed 3 August 2008

We have just returned from a quick getaway vacation to celebrate our 17 years of marriage! This resort was amazing! From the moment we arrived until we left, we knew we were at a five star place. The buildings were spectacular in design, cleanliness, comfort and beauty! The staff were there for every need you may have. We had our own private butler, Alix. He was fantastic! The restuarants were lovely and they served food that was first class. The pool was absolutely beautiful overlooking the beautiful Carribbean sea. Our ocean front room was very comfortable and the views were breathtaking. My husband played at the golf course and I must say, it was also a beautiful course that he enjoyed playing and I enjoyed riding along! The nightly entertainment was great! We loved the piano bar! The artistic features of this resort were amazing! We were treated like royalty and were sad to leave. We will revisit soon!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Francine R
Reviewed 2 August 2008

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso from 19th June - 10th July. The purpose of our trip was our wedding on 27th June.

HOTEL: The hotel is absolutely magnificent, couldnt fault this place at all. The staff are so friendly and go out their way to help you, the service we received in our 3weeks was just superb. We stayed in room 7021 (Oceanfront) & it was brilliant. We were allocated a room with jacuzzi on balcony & what a room, we were very pleased with it - rooms were cleaned to a high standard each day, turn down service each night by the time we got home & also our minibar was stocked with the drinks on a daily basis that we had requested on our first night. We didnt have any problems for the whole time we were there. We even got a bottle of Smirnoff we requested, brilliant! Big thanks to our butlers Mauricio & Victor, they were superb!

Grounds/pools/beach: The public areas of this hotel are so clean & very beautiful. I cant believe how amazing the hotel is its just absolutely gorgeous. I honestly cant understand where these people that complain about the place come from? What kinda hotels are they used to or it could be as simple as you'll always get 'complainers' where ever you go, some people will never be satified which is a shame because this is a truly magnificent hotel. Service around the pool - brilliant, id say beach is slower but who cares your on holiday whats the rush? The beach is also beautiful, its slightly better in front of the Lindo but again, no big deal.

FOOD: The food is brilliant, the Surf & Turf was our favourite restaurant, the steaks were lovely, we really enjoyed the Gourmet too its fab in there - very pretty restaurant aswell. Japanese is good, not our favourite but still lovely. The Italian restaurant was our least favourite, nice restaurant but the food wasnt to our taste. I think they should try & put a little more original Italian food on the menu & stop with the 'Lobster Lasagne' etc. Lunch & breakfast were also really good & the selections are brilliant, especially for an AI hotel. We didnt have a bad meal for the whole time we were there.

WEDDING: Our day couldnt have went any better. Big thanks to Martha our wedding co-ordinator who truly went out her way to ensure everything went well for us. The ceremony, pictures, meal etc etc all went fantastically. We couldnt have dreamed for a better venue to get married. Dont believe the review that said the weddings held there were horrible etc because they arent! Our wedding co-ordinator sat with us whilst we chose all the little details, was in constant touch with us to ensure we were ok & didnt have any questions etc & made our day very special. If anyone has had a bad experience I think its just been a one off .

I would definately return to this hotel, it has set a new standard for our summer holidays which will be hard to beat

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
16  Thank KGVand
Reviewed 1 August 2008

We stayed at the Grand from Mar 31st-Apr 5th and it was AMAZING! The resort far exceeded our expectations. We did a lot of research before deciding on the Grand and I'm glad we did. If you're thinking of going, book your trip, you will not regret it!

We booked our trip through Apple Vacations. It was not the cheapest we could find but we had actually booked another hotel first and then upgraded to the Grand, so we were stuck booking through them. www.doylestowntravel.com actually had the best rate, so check them out.

We had a private car from the airport, which made things really quick and easy. We arrived to a cold towel, a glass of sparkling wine and a lot of smiles. The staff at this resort are THE BEST. They are the most attentive and polite staff I have ever experienced at an all-inclusive. Anything we needed, they got it for us. I gave this resort a 4 instead of a 5 because of two factors, food and the beach. Below I have explained.

Rooms: The accommodations here are just amazing. The beds were so comfortable, and I have a hard time sleeping at most resorts because the beds are usually too hard. Not the case here, and they have pretty much any type of pillow you could imagine on their pillow menu. The room was quite large. Huge bathroom with his and hers sinks, with the toilette on one end, enclosed, and the shower on the other. Also a two person Jacuzzi tub was a nice touch. There is a sunken living area where you can read in the chaise or eat at the table. We enjoyed the nice big bed on our balcony and the two person swing was very cute. There is a big ceiling fan on the porch so you can always have a great breeze.

Food: The food was my least favorite part of this resort. I found the seafood and most things to be rather salty, especially at the Surf and Turf restaurant. After the first day or so I stuck to tacos, and the more "Mexican" items on the buffets. La Brisa had amazing grilled shrimp at lunch. The sushi place had good fried rice and the Imperial Rolls were very good. All in all it was better than most all-inclusives, but there is room for improvement. My favorite was the taqueria and the ice cream shop in the shopping center. I would eat there every day if I could. And definitely try a Drunken Monkey, they are the tastiest frozen drinks I've ever had.

Pools: The tranquility pool is just that, tranquil. There was hardly anyone ever in the water when we were there, which was fine by us when we wanted some peace and quiet. There are two hot tubs at either end of the pool which are nice when the breeze kicks up. There are lots of cabanas and sunbeds near the tranquility pool which is nice when you want some shade. The salt water pool is beautiful and huge! We played water basketball a lot there and had many drinks at the pool bar. Good place to meet friends. There isn't as much shade at this pool, but we didn't have trouble finding some by 10am. I didn't try the spa pool but my boyfriend said it was awesome.

Beach: I am a big beach person. I love the sand and the surf and the beach here is beautiful, but going in the water is tough. The service under the palapas is great. I never had a problem getting a drink or shade. The only drawback is the dead coral/rocks in the water. I walked down in front of the Maya to swim, but the waves were very rough and it was hard to "swim", I mostly had to fight the waves and it was not a relaxing experience.

We really loved this resort and would definitely consider going back, but we did get sick when we were there. My boyfriend and I both got stomach bacteria from the food/water at some point and were bloated and gassy the entire trip. Apparently it's not uncommon in Mexico, even though this resort had bottled water everywhere, you still have to be careful. It was very unpleasant and really soured our experience. We don't blame this on the resort though. When we came back the doctor put us on some antibiotics and suggested that next time we go take 2 Pepto tablets before breakfast, lunch and dinner to avoid any bacteria attaching itself to our stomach lining. So, be careful about what you eat and take some preventative measures.

We loved this resort and would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to have some relaxation and romance. Feel free to contact us with any questions.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Cunegonde22
Reviewed 31 July 2008

This place was amazing. The staff was very helpful and friendly. No kids were there and all I saw were couples. It was a slightly "older" crowd. And as I mean older, I never saw anyone partying ut up. People were mostly reading, swimming and laying around the pool. My husband and I went for our 9th anniversary.

The food was good. We are world travelers and have eaten at the best restaurants in the world so we are spoiled. But it was not bad at any of the restaurants. We ate dinner at them all. The lunch buffet was better in the restaurant away from the beech. More to choose from. The drinks were plenty all over and the service on the beech was very fast! Take a koozie there is nowhere to buy one and the drinks warm up fast.

The gym is small and very hot. I was only able to workout about 1/2 the time I do at home. But when the workout is over, there is a wonderful juice bar right outside the gym!

We would definately go back. In fact, my in-laws and another couple have already booked a trip in October!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
9  Thank berkst
Reviewed 30 July 2008

we have today just got back from a lovely 2 week holiday at this hotel, as we booked through first choice premiere luxury book we got our own private taxi from cancun airport to the hotel where upon arrival we were greeted by a bell boy who gave us cold wet towels to refresh ourselves with and then when we checked in we was immediately given a free upgrade to the ocean view suites.

we were in building 71 and our butlers for our building were Alex & Gasper, our butlers were so helpful that very afternoon they asked my dad what drinks he liked my dad said he liked loads of coca cola so every day his minibar was restoked with loads of coca cola, he also requested and received a bottle of johnny walker red label and a bottle of bacardi, so he could have whisky &coke and my mum could have bacardi and coke.

this hotel is incredibly beautiful we stood in awe of it the whole 2 weeks we were there, its pristinely clean and theres so much polished marbel there, through-out the 2 weeks we kept seeing them clean everything frequently and even repainting the exterior of some buildings, everything is done just so, they leave absolutely nothing to chance its all maintained to an absolutely high quality of cleanliness.

the food here was to die for i have never in my life had food as good as this, i put on nearly a stone in weight over the 2 weeks just from eating all this great food, we even made friends with Olivia who is the head chef for the whole of the hotel, everything to do with the food they all answer to her, she gave us recommendations on the best restaraunts, what you could eat in each one and and which nights where the best in the buffet restaraunt.

we had read about a strange animal that roams this hotel here on tripadvisor before we left, we kept seeing it several times but it kept disappearing before we could get a photo of it, one day we asked Olivia about it and she told us that it is called a Coati, its part of the raccoon family, the ones we saw on campus we were told like eating sugar and also eat bread and jam, we tried putting out some sugar and videoed it opening the packet all by itself and eating the sugar, we have also seen other people feed it bread and jam.

we spent most of our time by the quiet pool as activity pool was too loud and there was nowhere by our rooms where you can go into the see as theres loads of rocks there, we went out on a speed boat trip where me and dad drove a speed boat and did some snorkling, then later that week we all went on the capitan hook tour which was totally fantastic, you got a good meal and an awesome show.

we were so spoiled this holiday that we have decided we only ever want to go 5 star from now on and only to iberostar grand hotels as they will all be very similar to this, all in all a wonderful holiday and we thoroughly recommend you to go here.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family