6,604 results
All reviewstranquility poolsurf and turfocean frontlobsterla brisaindoor poolstar friendsbutler servicelobby barpillow menuother resortsoceanfront roominternational buffetpool conciergewelcome homelunch buffettop shelf
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The views, the rooms, the pools, the beach-all wonderful! I felt as though the food though could use some help-no fresh fish, or authentic mexican...very disappointing at a resort of this quality!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool/beach view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank gess2
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed here Feb 21-27, 2012 and loved everything! We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall last year in Jamaica and loved that too but this place is bigger and I like the set up better.
Resort and rooms: The resort was very clean and very impressive. Everything is large and grand! You are in Mexico but the resort is built with an Italian theme. The rooms were clean and spacious. We stayed in building 74 and had a view of the jungle. I didn't especially care for this but I didn't want to switch and we were hardly in our room anyway. It is $80 to $120 more to stay in the ocean front rooms (building 70 and 71). If we stay next time, I might ask for a free upgrade. I would have liked to be in building 72 or closer to the tranquility pool in building 74. Building 72 and 73 have a view of the other hotels and the indoor pool. I slept great on these wonderful beds. There is an assortment of pillows to choose from too. They keep the bar fully stocked in your room.
Pools: The main pool is the biggest I have seen! It takes quite an effort to swim the full length without resting. There are 4 large hot tubs surrounding the pool and sometimes they aren't very warn and other times they are so hot it takes awhile to get used to it. We loved playing pool volleyball at 4:00 and then having drinks and getting to know people in the hot tubs. If you don't go with any other couples and want to meet people, this is the way to do it!
I really liked the tranquility pool with the two large hot tubs on either end of it. This is a nice place if you want to sleep and really get away from activity as they do not play loud music or have any noisy activities.
There is a large indoor pool with two hot tubs that we enjoyed in the late afternoon. The exercise room is right off of this pool and the spa area is here too.
Staff: The Star Friends are very friendly and make a point of talking to you and remember your name. We played volleyball and participated in a lot of activities so we were around them a lot. They are amazing kids! Augustine and Eger were especially friendly and I miss them! Waiters and waitresses were great as well and our concierge and butlers! We noticed there were less staff on Saturday and Sunday but there were fewer guests around too. We had to get up and get our own drinks frequently on these days but that was fine because I needed to get my lazy butt up and do something!
Beach: The beach in front of the Grand was large and spacious. There are rocks in the ocean in front of the 71 building. The number 70 building had more activities going on during the day, like volleyball.
Food: I had the best steaks at the Gourmet restaurant! The seasoning was perfect and they were so tender! We ate at the Surf and Turf and I had a great steak here too. I called ahead and made reservations at a restaurant the first night. It was nice to have a sit down meal the first night there. We also ate at the Italian restaurant and I would highly recommend the Minestrone soup! My husband and I ordered off the menu at lunch and loved the chicken and steak fajitas! The buffets had a lot to choose from. Somethings weren't so good but I always found something I liked. You have to try the guacamole and chips! I had it with every noon meal! One day they grilled up by the main buffet and I heard the lobster tails were wonderful! We enjoyed the Mexican buffet and the Mariachi band on Sunday night!
Entertainment: The Rock show was very good. I also enjoyed the Mexican night. I didn't care for the Mayan culture night though. It was kind of boring. We didn't go to any other shows.
Excursion: We did the Extreme Mayan Adventure tour which included zip lining, cenote jumping and 4 wheeling. The zip lining was lame. Jumping into the cenote was awesome. The 4 wheel trip was rough and dirty. I had a great time though. The staff was exceptional on the trip! Very genuine!
I have one complaint. The computer keyboards were messed up! On one of them, the Y and V were mixed up. It was next to impossible to find the @ symbol! I guess you need to push alt 64. Pay the extra money to AT&T and get e-mail on your smart phone!
I would definitely come back to this resort! I can't express what a wonderful trip this was!

Room Tip: Building 70 and 71 are oceanfront but cost $80 to $120 more. Building 72 has a view of the tranquility pool and I want that next time. Building 74 has mostly a view of the jungle. Building 72 and 73 have a view of the other hotel and the indoor spa pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank kctherat
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your detailed review which you have shared with other travelers on this site. We appreciate that you took the time to generously comment the Restaurants, and rate your food choices. We are also pleased to learn that you had enjoyable excursions and had been satisfied with our service, staff, nightly live entertainment and daily activities.

Please do not hesitate to return, we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

With warm regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We had an ocean front room which was beautiful, quiet and cozy. in the afternoon we could hear a lot of furniture moving overhead which could distract from an afternoon nap. The bed was wonderful as was the swing on the balcony. The TV was very old.

The food at the buffets was OK - pretty well what I expected. The food at the Italian restaurant was very good and the service first rate. We also had a very good steak at Toni's. The Japanese restaurant was average. Service at the buffets and restaurants was excellent and we never waited more than a minute for someone to take care of us. Special thanks to Patterson who worked the buffets and Caesar at the Italian restaurant. We had room service for breakfast a few days and it was good.

If you wanted a beachfront chair you had to get up early to reserve one. I find this ridiculous. Also the chairs were old and many had no padding or very thin padding which I found very uncomfortable. We loved the quiet pool although some of the guests ignored the 'quiet' sign. None of the many hot tubs were working properly which was a huge disappointment. Some of the bottom jets were working but none of the side jets.

I lost a pair of very expensive sunglasses and filled out a report assuming I would never see them again. The next day a staffer found them and they were returned to me - a miracle. This is the kind of service you can expect at this place.

Our concierge and butler - Raul and Alberto - were just wonderful. They made my husband's birthday extra special.

Unfortunately my husband became ill on this trip (nothing to do with his stay at the resort). The staff went out of their way to help my husband get to the clinic, wait there for him, etc.

There are always areas that could be improved, as outlined above, but the staff make this place exceptional. We stayed at Le Blanc last year and while it was very nice we liked it here better. The staff were so genuine, helpful and friendly that you never want to leave.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: An ocean front room is pure heaven
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nanbik
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our travel agent (Todd Russell, Always About Travel, Big Canoe Ga.) recommended the Iberostar to us a couple of years ago for our annual anniversary trip to warmer climates. This was our 1st experience with an all inclusive resort. It turned out to be a GREAT experience. So much so, we returned the following year.

Upon arrival, you are greeted by one of the hotel staff who takes care of obtaining the room keys, loads you luggage onto an electric cart and escorts you to your room. All check in is done by your butler who does this in the comfort of your room. They also ask you what you would like in your room refrigerator, which is replenished daily, and any other special requests. There is also a concierge for the building that will coordinate reservations at the specialty restaurants and any other request you may have.

The Iberostar Grand is an adults only hotel and offers a variety of activities. There is a tranquility pool that looks like the garden of Eden. It is surrounded by covered cabanas and offers a nice quiet place to relax and unwind. There is always some sort of activity going on at the mail pool and there is also a spa, with a heated indoor pool, exercise room and massage facilities. Staying at the Grand entitles you to partake of any of the restaurants or facilities of the other family hotels in the complex.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away from it all and wanting to be waited on hand and foot for the entire time you are there. Everyone we met on the resort staff, from guest services to ground maintenance personnel, were friendly and always greeted you with a smile.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent but we prefer the ocean side rooms. For a little extra, you can get a corner ocean side room that has its own private hot tub on the veranda.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lees46
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Grand Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing our resort as your destination of choice for your Annual Anniversary stay. It was a pleasure to have had you and be able to share in such a special occasion. It is indeed rewarding to see your positive reviews of our services, facilities, activities and staff in general. Please do not hesitate in returning soon as we would be grateful for the opportunity to welcome you again.

Kindest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have visited the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso three times in just over 12 months. January 2011, November 2011, and this visit, January 2012. This number of visits does not make me an expert on the resort but has provided me with the opportunity to see the resort over a number of months and make some valued judgements.

I must thank Andrea (aka Actran and Shoediva fame) for provided me with a wealth of information over the last year and a half to take a leap of faith and visit the Grand for the first and succeeding times. It was sure a pleasure to have met Andrea in person (an "Ibero" Rock Star event) on our last day at the resort. She comes across as genuine, friendly and caring as the Grand!!!

My Wife and I began our visit to Mexico this January by staying 10 days at Secrets Maroma Beach ( my review just posted). We had set aside 14 days for this trip to Mexico but when I attempted to book the Grand back in April 2011 the resort was already book full for the week of Janauary 16 to 23, 2011. I had walked down the beach from SMB one day in our first week in Mexico and saw a number of children on the property of the Grand. I asked one of the Star Friends, Augustin why the children were at the Grand, and he said the whole resort was occupied by a family group that reserved all rooms at the Grand. As educators we are always on a tight schedule of vacation time so we looked elsewhere for this period. We finally arrived at the Grand on Janauary 23, 2011 anticipating 4 days of paradise!! We had requested a standard junior suite in or around building 72 ( our favorite for being centrally located not to far from any of the resort amenities). We had booked with Dayna Smith of Sunset Travel Inc. that provided us with not only a great rate but also very friendly service. We also had private airport transfers arranged through Dayna with Olympus. First rate operation.

To our surprise when we arrived a rather large group had arrived the day before our arrival and had virtually taken all of the standard suites in the resort. As the girl at the front desk was checking us in, she asked me to confirm all personal details were accurate on the information card I noted that one of the Ocean front rooms was listed as our room 7137. She went on to tell us that she had bad news and good news. She informed us of the upgrade and occupancy rate that week. It was very high with the group in attendance. I found this rather strange a little while later at the pool. The "bracelets" we're fitted on our wrists and away we went. So many comments have been made regarding the bracelets at Iberostars but I think they are like a badge of honour not something that is a deal breaker. I just remembered I had mine still on a full 7 days after we arrived home to Canada.

We went for lunch at Le Brisa while awaiting our room to be prepared and by 1:30 we were all unpacked and ready for a drink around the pool. It was mid afternoon when usually things are hopping and busy but This afternoon saw a total of about 20 people around the pool all afternoon. I swore Daniel and his gang at the swim up bar were taking turns napping it was so quiet. This was quite a surprise as I had mention the occupancy was so high. What I didn't realize was that the large working group from all over Latin America was working all day from 8:30am to 6:00 pm daily. Sitting I my lounger on the first afternoon and it being so quiet started me thinking that maybe the "magic" of the Grand had begun to wear off. Oh I was so wrong! This was kind of nice as it felt as if we had the whole resort to ourselves as the week wore on. This was one special day. An upgrade and the whole resort virtually to ourselves. As the week wore on though the couples were beginning to arrive and make the after noons busier poolside. A comment on the clientele of the resort: mostly respectful quiet and personal but for a few. On Thursday a group of about 10 couples from the northern US arrived and changed the atmosphere a bit. Throwing footballs across the pool into the swim up bar, yelling at each other across the pool in the late afternoon and one unfortunate sole of the group was trying to show off like one of the pool serving girls with a few too many under his belt and a rather large tray of alcohol drinks stepped on one of the edge pool grates as it broke and messed up his leg pretty bad. The hotel staff were Johnny on the spot attending to his injuries. It sure quieted the crowd though!!

The Grand really was the same as I had imagined and remembered and as the days flew by it was like a pair of of good shoes. The Grand fit perfect!! We had made our dinner reservations prior to leaving Canada ( almost three weeks in advance ) so we knew each night where and when we we eating. I really like the reservation system at the Iberostars. Our stay at SMB was marred by having to wait due to the restaurants being too full. I was happy to be back at the Grand!!

We ate Gourmet, Surf and Turf, and Italian during our four day stay. We chose the American Buffett night on Thursday our last evening. Meals at each of the alacartes was fantastic with a special shout out to Rene for his care and friendship during our meal at Toni's. He is a master at his craft!! The finishing touches he provided to the meal were second to none. Mayan coffee and desert were phenomenal!!

The Grand provides a feel of service second to none no matter who you are. If I didn't know better I thought my name was Antonio!! The staff at the Grand almost read your mind when it comes to service. Just think it and it happens. I just hope in the near future we can experience the pleasure of the Grand again!! It was such a pleasure to have met again Eder, Eduardo, Augustin, Paulina,and all the new StarFriends. They make your stay so much fun, not that you could ever be bored sitting on your lounger in Mexico watching the days fly by. I really enjoy my Tai Chi practice with Eder in the late afternoons although this visit was hampered with my sore back that slowed me down.

Many fond memories of the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso lasting a lifetime. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Tim.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank thecometranch
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Tim:

Thank you for continuing to give your preference to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Your recommendation of our property means a lot to us, especially since you were with us three times in just over 12 months. It therefore means that we continue to uphold the services and attention to detail that we know you appreciate.

We appreciate that you also made special mention of all the staff who made your vacation even more memorable.

We remain at your entire disposal and are looking forward to your return visits!

With warm regards,