USD 199
USD 189
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 214/night.

Alkquimia Hotel(Bayahibe)
  • Breakfast included
Cabana Elke(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
USD 83
USD 61
Hotel Villa Iguana(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
USD 49
Hotels.com
Bayahibe Guesthouse(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
USD 41
6,939 results
All reviewsprivilege roommain baranimation teamprivileged sectioncentral barprivileged guestsrodeo steak housela romanabeautiful beachconcierge officedominican republicyucaitalian restaurantenglish speakerssanto domingolanguage barrierother resorts
Reviewed 4 July 2015

My husband and I visited this resort this past June, 2015 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. My favorite part of this trip was the location, the Bayahibe beach is just stunning, very beautiful beach without the seagrass that I have often seen at Punta Cana resorts. I am a fan of small resorts and this one was definitively one of them. The privilege service was nice- we stayed at honeymoon suite located on the top floor of the main building where check in is located. The suite was not as big as other resorts but it was a good size. It has a canope bed and beautiful high windows.

Cons: THE FOOD! no variation nor taste in the food whatsoever! My husband an I ended up making a joke out of the por selection of food saying we would need to go out and get some frituras (fried food) outside of the hotel. For the price we paid for the stay we should not complain too much, however, I wouldn't mind paying a few more $$ in order to get better food service.

Room Tip: privilege rooms
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2015 via mobile

My 15 year old son and myself visited Catalonia Gran Dominicus from June 23-30, 2015 via Sunwing. La Romana airport was not available, so we had to go to Punta Cana International Airport, then travel about 1 hour to the hotel.

Upon driving through the gates, I was not impressed. The lobby was very basic and simple. I've been to other resorts where the lobby is grand and there are lots of seats and thing happening. This is not the case here, which is fine.

When booking I requested to be close to the beach with 2 double beds. I was given a room in the first building beside the lobby and 1 king size bed. NOT what I requested.

The room and bathroom were fine. Big, spacious and very clean, so no complaints there. However it would be nice if the night tables had drawers in them, but I suspect only "priviledged" guests have this luxury. I had to go back to the lobby because the phone wasn't working and the safe was locked. A few days later I discovered that the hair dryer also wasn't working, but I didn't even bother to complain.

The buffet was very disappointing as there wasn't much of a selection. We went to all of the 3 à la carte restaurants: Tuscana (Italian), Yuca (Caribbean) and Rodeo Steak House. I enjoyed the steak house the best, and my son enjoyed Yuca. We left both restaurants early after our main course because we were waiting such a long time to receive a dessert menu and were tired of waiting. Which leads me into my next issue with service.

I found the service in this hotel deplorable. I found 90% of the staff did not speak any English which was extremely hard to communicate. Of the 7 days eating breakfast in the buffet, we were only offered coffee twice and barely offered water. Because the beverage and water machines are accessible, most of the time we got our own water and soda.

Also what was terribly annoying were the "concierge" who was constantly hassling me to go to the hour presentation to get my free gift and lobster dinner or breakfast on the beach. I told him on the first day that I would not be interested in returning to this resort, as I like to try difference resorts, but that did not stop him.

On a bright note, the beach is absolutely GORGEOUS. The sand is very light brown and the water is turquoise and clear. There was always a spot in the shade or under a hut in the late afternoon around 5. The pool was also great with different sections of depth.

We went on 2 excursions via Hola. One to the capital of Santo Domingo and the other with the "buggies" in the nearby village. Both trips were fantastic. If you choose to take an excursion, negotiate your price!!! Our trip was supposed to cost 260 USD, but after about 15 mins of back and forth, I talked him down to 225 USD.

All in all, it was a nice vacation but I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2015
Reviewed 1 July 2015

Hotel grounds: excellent, well kept and beautiful gardens.
Beach: possibly the best in the Bayahibe/Dominicus region, due to the palms and shades as you move on to the beach from the back of the hotel. Good beach bar with great barman.
Rooms: "Privileged" rooms looked very nice but the official supplement for these is US$25 pp per day. The "Garden View rooms" look great from the outside but require updating on the inside (mainly the bathrooms) - the older rooms are totally out of keeping with the rest of the hotel.
Staff: many are nice and well-meaning, but the DR is a very poor country and you cannot expect the levels of politeness/service that visitors from English-speaking northern hemisphere countries generally demand (I think this is true for many of the hotels). Some staff were outstanding, with those on reception generally polite and well-managed. The animation teams work extremely hard to create a friendly fun family atmosphere and the Hotel should be highly commended on this.
Food: I originally thought the food was good, but after our family were hit by 3 food poisoning events, that rather changed my view (particularly as we travel a lot and rarely get ill) and negatively influenced my memories of the vacation in general (in fact I am still ill 7 days after returning home). Clearly food hygiene needs to be improved. Birds fly in and out of the buffet and happily feed there (although most tourists probably think its just rats and mice that carry disease and some even encourage the birds, local staff make no attempt to keep the birds out). Buffets and the recycling of food to reduce waste is always a difficult area for hotels, but unless it is carried out under strict hygiene rules then it will always be a problem. Having said that, two food-poisoning cases started after eating at the steakhouse and Caribbean restaurants.

Tip: it is probably better to go with US$ cash as ATMs in the DR are limited to 5000 pesos per withdrawal (~ US$100) and the charges are quite high. You can go into a bank and get more money in one go, but 1) competence levels can be low and 2) they will require up to two forms of identity proof. Paying with credit card is fine, but some places will charge you an 18% supplement (i.e., because it will have to go through the books and they will have to pay sales tax [=VAT] at the standard DR rate).

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Rob B
Reviewed 30 June 2015

This is our second time in a Catalonia Hotel and we loved it! Great service at reception. At first we had issues in the room with a/c and they moved us and upgraded our room to a privileged zone close to the pool, beach and restaurants...awesome!!
The Taína buffet and restaurants have delicious food and service, my husband's and my favorite was Toscana, and the Kids loved Yuca. Rodeo has nice food but they have slow service.
My son had a blast at the Miniclub, and our daughter enjoyed every Beach activity and parties.
Nice Beach aswell!!

Room Tip: Privileged is the room you want for locación and updated features.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Asunherbal
Reviewed 30 June 2015

The hotel is smaller and mostly European (we know this going and that is why we chose this hotel). They have an Italian, French and Dominican entertainment staff and they work their butts off, awesome job all day and night long. The hotel staff is amazing and so so friendly. If you do not speak spanish you have to say hablo english and most of the staff can communicate very well in english. The beach and water is awesome. The rooms are a bit dated and use a key, if you want to upgrade you can. We only shower and slept there and it was fine, sometimes it took awhile to get hot water in the morning but evening was fine. AC worked great and there was a safe in the room to use at no extra cost. The food was better than expected and my gf is a vegetarian, they had options even at the Steakhouse. I would rate the restaurants in this order 1. Italian 2. International 3. Steakhouse. We did the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner a few times. We drank mojitos most of the time but all the drinks were good. The bartenders Julio, Albert, Francisco, Alexis, Victor, Jenny were exceptional and always smiling. We meet and hung out with a lot of people from Germany and France. Not many teenagers and handful of little kids with families. The Wifi was very inconsistent but you are on vacation and it was free. Overall a great experience, I would recommend this place and would come back to this place.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple