“Largest in Town”
Review of Wat Phai Lom

Wat Phai Lom
Reviewed 18 February 2016

Wat Phai Lom is in the heart of Chanthaburi and in terms of the ground it occupies, is the largest temple in town, occupying what normally would be four city blocks.

It has many temples, buildings, stupas, and monasteries, set in a largely concrete paved desert.

We arrived in the early evening, so unfortunately we could not enter of the wats. But the monks were out there with their stick brooms sweeping up leaves and rubbish, and made us welcome and invited us to look around.

Apart from anything else, I am left with the overriding impression that in addition to being one of the largest temple grounds, this must be one of Thailand's largest dog refuges. They were everywhere - dozens and dozens of them. But to the temple's credit, they all looked in remarkably good condition.

Reviewed 11 February 2016

we were helped to give a puja (offering to the reclining Buddha) an offering of flowers and gold leaf and we lit a candle and incense and did a prayer walk around the huge statue and the energy was palpable. I like the grounds outside being more playground than trying to be holy! That is the idea--bring the sacred into the everyday :)

Reviewed 3 February 2016

I was lucky enough to take part in a munk ordination ceremony at this temple. My two step sons played the drums for the new munk. I find that visitors are very welcome at the temples of Thailand, no matter the occasion as long as we behave respectfully. It was a private occasion for the family of the munk and I didn`t know them. But I was able to watch the ceremonies. Afterwards I went to the see the big reclining buddha in the other building. The outside of this temple is not kept very nice, like some other temples, but inside it was beautiful.

Reviewed 3 October 2015

The Reclining Buddha is the Buddha statue for those borned on a Tuesday. So there are seven positions of Buddha for each day of the week.

The huge Buddha is built beautifully. Visiting there while you traveling Chanthaburi Province is recommended. You will be blessed with calm and peace of mine at least when you are in the compound.

1  Thank SamThep