1,146 results
All reviews deluxe mountain view animal farm scones wellness centre drakensberg mountains each meal self catering dining room buffet style horse riding underfloor heating public areas guided walk amazing views fantastic stay morning and afternoon tea beautiful setting
Reviewed 6 December 2016

The location is wonderful, surrounded by the peaks of the Drakensberg. The room was clean and spacious, the hotel facilities are very good and the buffet food in the restaurant excellent. My wife has a food intolerance which can sometimes cause problems with buffet food, but we informed the restaurant manager and the chef and they ensured that there was some suitable food each night for her.
The only criticism was the reception staff who were somewhat off-hand and not very friendly.

Room Tip: Specify a mountain view!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Georges_Romarin, General Manager at Champagne Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Lynne28_11

Chef does work hard to ensure that all of our guests are accommodated when it comes to meals at Champagne Castle Hotel. As long as he knows, he'll always do his best.

Your feedback has been discussed at our daily management team meeting, and will be followed up.

Reviewed 6 December 2016

We were more than impressed with the food; in fact it was superb. The room was very nice and the setting quite superb. We did the Sphinx walk which was outstanding.
However, we were disappointed with the range of walks and the maintenance of those close to the hotel. Apart from that, we more than enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, gstruik

I'm so glad you had an opportunity to get onto the mountain. It becomes more and more beautiful the further you walk. I have asked our maintenance team to look into the condition of the paths, as per your comment. We have very recently spent a large amount of time re-doing some of the paths as well as replacing the signage.

Monks Cowl, which is just 2km along the road offers a large variety of walks, some of which join up with the walks from the hotel.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 December 2016

I stayed for 4 nights in November in the Champagne Castle Hotel.
It was a great and nice time. The hotel fulfills the standard of a 4 star hotel, but the place in the Drakensberge and the view itself is 5 star. Even I had heavy thunderstorms during my time, it was lovely. The hotel rooms are big and a little bit old regarding the furnitures, but with a very nice view and good beds to sleep. The room itself could have been a little bit more clean if you have an eye for it. This is why I reduced my rating with one point.
Food was very good (buffet), staff was very friendly and helpful, the bar area with two open fires is very relaxing and nice. Wifi only available in the bar area, not in the rooms.
Pool area seemed to be ok, didn't use the pool due to cold temperature around.
I missed the breakfast outside, that wasn't allowed. I little bit a pity.
Would go again there. The Golf Course near by (7 km, Champagne Castle course) is one of the nicest I ever played.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Georges_Romarin, General Manager at Champagne Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, 811tasi

The weather is extremely unpredictable when you're so close to these mountains. It can cold in Summer, and warm in Winter, and then you can have all four seasons in one day at times.

Your feedback was discussed at our daily management team meeting.

Because of our location this far up the Champagne Valley we do not have access to sufficient bandwidth from the various internet service providers. We therefore are unable to distribute our free wifi to all the rooms, as the speed would be incredibly slow. We have therefor provided access in all the main areas to ensure the best possible service to our guests.

Reviewed 6 December 2016

This was my second time staying at Champagne Castle. I requested an upstairs room which we had and it was wonderful. The views were amazing. The room was very comfortable, a little old fashioned but this added to the charm of the place. It was quite spacious with a small balcony and a large bathroom, which could do with a bit of an update. The room was kept very clean and the nightly turn down with chocolates was a lovely touch. The service was wonderfull by all the staff. Great choice of food ( plenty of it too) and very good quality. I am vegetarian and there was plenty of choice. I joined the daily guided walks which were good and also enjoyed exploring the whole area with my husband. It's situated in a great spot if you want complete relaxation in a stunning location. Can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Mountain facing rooms for a fantastic view.
1  Thank Penelopeann53
Georges_Romarin, General Manager at Champagne Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Penelopeann53

It sounds like you got plenty of exercise during your walks onto the mountain. The view only gets more magnificent as you walk, which I'm certain is the best medicine for a soul.

Thank you for staying at Champagne Castle Hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit

Reviewed 6 December 2016

The best piece of art is seen out your bedroom window. Peace and tranquility feeds one soul. Food was really great. Different length walks or hikes can start at the doorstep of the hotel. There are a few other activities for those that cannot sit still.

Room Tip: Select room with Mountain view
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Georges_Romarin, General Manager at Champagne Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, julianajoubert

I smiled at your review, because we often have to two types of guests..... those who drink in the beauty and tranquility, and those who adventure onto the mountain, or down to the nearby golf course, or go for a ride on the horses. It seems you might fit somewhere in between :-)