All reviews cathedral peak quad biking golden oldies breakfast and dinner stir fry honeymoon suite dining room drakensberg mountains buffet style superior room morning and afternoon tea fresh trout hole golf course mini golf old world charm south africa old school
Reviewed 15 May 2018

We have come to Cathedral Peak Hotel for the past 7 or more years to celebrate our wedding anniversary and to get away from everything and just relax. We have always received superb service and never had anything to complain about. Last year we were disappointed to not receive the room that we had specifically booked a year in advance but we were re assured that we would get it this year. Unfortunately there was another mix up and we didn't get our requested room. But, we had a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit waiting in our room to congratulate us on our 35th wedding anniversary.
Unfortunately there was a problem with the wifi and TV and then to crown it all they had a Business Conference booked and these guests made a noise into the early hours of Sunday morning.
My husband went to complain and got hold of the Manager on duty, Rhine. He was very apologetic and asked us to give him some time to sort out our issues. When we got back from an afternoon out, we had champagne and cheese and fruit waiting for us and Rhine had sorted the wifi and TV issues out, he found us at dinner to give us a run down on the mix up with our room. Rhine also informed us that he had credited us for one nights stay!!
As usual the food was wonderful, the staff were friendly and although our room was not our first choice, it was great. Thank you to Rhine and his staff for fixing their mistakes and for making our stay so special.

Date of stay: May 2018
CathedralPeakHotel, General Manager at Cathedral Peak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

I'm really sorry. We certainly don't want any of our guests to feel the way you must have. Rhine and I have met to discuss your experience. Thank you for your graciousness.

I am glad that in spite of your experience that you enjoyed your stay, and we do look forward to welcoming you back next year, with none of what happened this year.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

We booked a 2 day/2 night stay just after Easter and had a wonderful time. It's worth the long drive to find this hidden gem. We took two garden lodges side by side as we were travelling with 2 young children and grandma. It was lovely having our own space. The hotel facilities are exceptional and the breakfast and dinner buffets were exceptional. Lots of choice and well cooked. Lunch menu (charged extra) was very average and disappointing in comparison. Restaurant does not allow children after 8pm and there is a 'kids dining room' for very young children.

We received a warm welcome and enjoyed a few short walks and went out on the horses for a fabulous fast early morning ride. Highly recommend.

Word of warning though, as much as there is a gym, pool and kids play area on site this hotel and its location is heavily geared up for walkers...and I mean serious walkers! We found only two very short routes that were suitable for children and grandmother and even they were a bit too much. All other walks require a guide and are several hours in duration. You need to be physically fit and have appropriate walking shoes/clothes.

Other than that, for our two day relaxing stay it was perfect for what we wanted to get out of it. Grandma even tried the spa and had the most amazing massage!!

Room tip: Take a garden lodge for the best views.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
CathedralPeakHotel, General Manager at Cathedral Peak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

I read your review with a little concern that you left with the impression that we're heavily geared for serious walkers. Of course that is a big attraction of Cathedral Peak Hotel. We do have 18 marked trails that leave from the Hotel and a few of them do require a fit body and a strong mind. However we have always seen ourselves as a family hotel and we pride ourselves in catering for every member of the family, no matter their age and/or fitness level. There are only two hikes that we recommend going with a guide, the other 16 all depend on how far you'd like to walk and of course your ability. They are extremely varied Of course there's always the Golf Course to walk around for those who still want to feel like they're in the mountains, with a lot less effort required. I do hope that it wasn't one of our team who left you with that impression? I have met with my direct team to ensure that we never leave that impression.

It does seem that you had a fabulous stay with us, and that's critically important.

Thank you for staying with us, and I do look forward to introducing you to the full range of walking available on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

Our overall experience was good. However, the room needs to be upgraded. Our bed was definitely past its due date. When we reported it to reception, they shrugged their shoulders and said if no one informs them, how should they know that? The food and overall service was good. Information received for the activities was not sufficient. We expected a bit more for the price we paid.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

I do apologise for the way my Reception Team handled your feedback. I have met with them to discuss your review.

If you do get time would like to, we'd love to know how we can improve the way information with regards to activities is distributed. It is important that our guests know about the incredible range of activities at the hotel, and if you felt it wasn't done as well as it could have been, we'd be grateful to hear from you. Would you mind sending an email to marketing@cathdralpeak.co.za

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 11 May 2018

We first came to Cathedral Peak in late 1964 and have been blessed to return some 6 times since ... and every experience has been really great. Why, my 40-year-old daughter started her holidaying in a sling on my back, at 8 months, on a jaunt to Rainbow Gorge! The boys needed no prompting!
All the facilities were excellent and your wonderful staff treated us like celebrities! As for the great meals, well, I'll be a long time working those off!
My wife and I were so glad to have this holiday! Thank you.
Negatives? The Quizzes, Orientation and others specials that were advertised for the folks on the Golden Oldies 40% off package, didn't quite get off the ground. Would have made for instant interaction amongst the guests - but we got there in the end!
Thanks a million.
Gerald and Sannie Hawyes

Room tip: We've stayed in all kinds of rooms, a standard one most recently. They're all great!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CathedralPeakHotel, General Manager at Cathedral Peak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Thank you for your review, GerSan2014

What an incredible adventure you must have had each time you returned from 1964? You must have fabulous stories of the changes you've seen, and the experiences you've had.

I apologies that the events advertised did not happen. I have met with the team to investigate. That should certainly not have been your experience.

Thank you for visiting once again. I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit

Reviewed 11 May 2018

During our last visit to South Africa we have stayed at 16 different locations in about seven weeks. Fifteen of these locations, including seven Kruger National Park camps, offered duvets on their beds. Cathedral Peak Hotel was the only one still sticking to out of the time, unhygienic blankets to cover in bed! Considering the price we had to pay for our six night stay at CPH, one cannot tolerate this situation!
By the way: My wife and I first came to CPH some 25 years ago. Since then we are frequent visitors. But this visit might have been our last one due to the intolerable bed situation.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback, and will most certainly look into it. There do seem to be some very personal choices and views that people have.

I do hope you enjoyed your stay, and the magical beauty that the mountains surrounding the hotel offer our guests? The weather during the transition from Autumn to Winter has been superb, as it always is the Drakensberg, and I do hope you managed to get out onto some of the marked trails leading off from the Hotel?

Thank you for staying with us.