All reviewsseparate kitchenbedroom unitovenroomybedsunitsmotelhome
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed here on our way from Dunedin to Invercargill. The motel is quiet and clean and comfortable. We were dealt with quickly and efficiently at the office. We had a 2 bedroom unit which was nice and roomy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Charlton was initially chosen because it was pet friendly, which on this occasion was necessary. It was also very conveniently located close to the A&P Grounds, which is where I was required to be for most of the day over a weekend. So, it is located a little outside of the town centre, but if staying here, you are most likely to have a vehicle anyway.
Welcome was very friendly, and informative regards local information. Room was spacious, and included some comfortable furnishings. Separate Kitchen and bathroom also added to an at home feel. If I had to be negative about anything, I would say the bed was a little too soft (for me).
Given the price we were charged, I did have to look again to make sure I was not paying more than being asked for. Absolute excellent value for money.
Already planning on a return trip next year, and Gore is usually a place I always avoid. That is how good it is.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FyingKiwi
Reviewed 18 July 2013

It has been a long week and one more night away before heading home.. Stayed again at the Charlton. Really friendly and helpful. They have expresso machine in their reception now also. This time I stayed in the new units and very comfortable . Very warm. Everything you need. Great rates and book in advance asking for the new units if you can. Aquatic centre just down the road.

Room Tip: Ask for new units
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My husband & I spent 2 weeks at this motel, using it as a base for research we were doing locally for a book we are writing. The unit allocated to us was at the back and therefore quiet and safe for our small dog who was welcomed. The unit had a full stove with 4 rings & a very good full size oven, so we were able to cook for ourselves. It was also well equipped with kitchen utensils etc, a microwave, & a fridge. It snowed while we were staying and we asked for another heater as the wall mounted unit wasn't quite enough, but this was provided promptly and willingly. The bed was fantastically comfortable & the 3 single beds in the separate bedroom meant we could keep all our belongings well ordered. The hosts were pleasant and helpful at all times. We used the laundry facilities several times, for a small fee. Overall this was a terrific place to stay and we would recommend it highly to other travellers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We had never stayed here before. It was cold and snowing, but the rooms were beautifully warm. Looked as if the units were recently or were keep done up. Very comfortable arm chairs to sit in while chilling out. Great electric blanket to keep us warm. Plus a good heater. Roomy separate kitchen with full stove and microwave & fridge. Very up todate bathroom.. When Fiona (part-owner) saw that we would have to go to the shops in a very big truck, Said, you come when ready and get the keys for the courtesy car. Truly appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business