All reviews the cottages rural property swimming pool wilson's prom sandy point paddock accommodation facilities bedroom
Reviewed 21 April 2017

Highly recommend this place. We stayed two nights in the two bedroom apartment. Apartment was lovely with nice views and had a kitchen fully equipped which was handy. During the time we stayed it rained hard but it didn't impact us given the cottage had all the facilities we needed to keep everyone busy and enjoy the holiday. We had a heater/wood fire to keep us warm and kept kids busy with the DVDs we borrowed free of charge from the cottage office. Owner (Norm) was kind enough to let us pick apples in his garden which my kids enjoyed most. Also when rain cleared kids enjoyed playing in the play area which had basketball, trampoline, etc. Apartment was quiet and located in a private area. Every day we woke up to the chirping sounds of different kinds of birds which we never seen before. Prom Coast holiday lodge was close to everywhere which was a bonus for us when we had to go out to dine/ buy groceries/ see the prom. Apartment also had a spa which kids enjoyed most. We booked our accommodation via a third party website which processed our booking incorrectly but owner being a genuine person was able to resolve the issue quickly without any hassle for us. We would definitely be back next time.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank dineshas
Norm W, Owner at Prom Coast Holiday Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2017

Hi Dinesh,
Thank you for your review and kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to accommodating you again sometime in the future.
Take care.
Norm Wilkins
Owner
Prom Coast Holiday Lodge

Reviewed 20 January 2017

There were 18 adults on our group and we stayed their for 2 nights. That was a really great experience. Swimming pool, Heaters, A/C, Kitchen with all required items and also a little playing area outside with a great view. If you are looking for a place to enjoy that's the place !

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

I have been undecided about whether to write this review. In the end I have decided that if someone else had written it and I read it, it would have saved us a huge headache, so I'm writing it.

We checked in to Cottage 2 at prom coast holiday lodge at about 6pm. It is a beautiful property and the cottage was roomy and rustic and fairly clean. We unloaded our car load of stuff (not traveling light with a 9 month old baby), I fed our baby on the couch where both he and I came up in some itchy bites, but I didn't think any more about it. We put dinner in the oven and sat down to feed our baby his dinner. From the dining table my partner spotted a brown bug crawling on one of the mattresses in the bunk room (there is a main room with a double bed and a second room with two sets of bunks). We caught it and it was a bed bug, we were pretty horrified, I have seen them overseas but never in Australia before. We looked at the bunk and found more, and from that point we had a big logistical nightmare. It was about 9pm, past our baby's bedtime and it had just taken us over an hour to unload and get settled. The travel cot was set up, our bags and other things were already stored in all the rooms, food was unpacked, wet washed clothes were hung drying in the bunk room. It would be a big disruption to have to re-pack and move, but we weren't prepared to stay in a place that had bedbugs. The location isn't somewhere that other accommodation is readily available late at night.

We informed the owner who said they had a problem with bed bugs in that room 6 months ago but that he had treated them and didn't think they were there anymore. We really really wish we knew this because we wouldn't have taken our baby and our stuff into that room if we knew. To be honest I don't think we would have risked staying in that cottage. I find it strange that the owner was surprised they were still there, since the bed bugs weren't all that hard to find. It was still light when we saw the first one crawl across the mattress, so I would guess based on what I have since read about how and where they like to hide, and what the population needs to be before you spot them, there would have been lots more in that room. I have read a lot about bed bugs in the last 24 hours! Also based on what I have read, I believe that at those numbers the bugs would have been in the carpet, in the other room (there were a few tell tale black spots on the main bed mattress cover, and I did find one bug but not positive on the ID) and probably the couches and main living area. The owner didn't believe so, and we didn't see any but it is a small cottage and I think they would be there. He did say the next day he found them on the bunks, in the mattresses and doonas. Also we did get bitten by something on the couch. I definitely think the whole cottage should be treated as if they are throughout it, as a precaution. I also think the bunk beds, bedding and mattresses and carpet should be removed and replaced. The treatment clearly didn't completely work the first time round, and the bugs have had longer to establish now. I think it would only be responsible to future travellers to carefully treat the entire cottage, as it causes such a huge headache for people if they encounter them, it's really not fair to just treat one room, wash bedding and hope for the best. The cottage should also be closed as accommodation for at least a couple of months based on what I have read about life cycles.

At that time of night the owner moved us to the only other vacant building which was the lodge. He did offer to find us alternative accommodation in Fish Creek but it was too late for our baby to pack, drive elsewhere and unpack. Moving to the other building still took a long time, we finally got our baby into bed, then we had the huge task of looking through all of our stuff. We basically had no dinner, got no sleep, our baby didn't sleep well, and when we left the next day, we still have the worry that the bed bugs got into our bags and will come with us.

Although it was only a couple of hours in the cottage, so I hope our things didn't get infiltrated, we did see a bug walking around when it was still light and that keeps coming into my mind - where else were they walking? We have checked everything we own, threw out two bags, and are washing everything we can - but if there are nymphs or eggs we won't necessarily see them. They may have already been transferred to our car when we moved out stuff anyway, and I am very worried we could transfer them back to our home. It may sound like an overreaction but according to everything I have read this is very possible.

So basically the last few days of our holiday were ruined, we didn't get to see Wilson's Promontory, we are completely exhausted, our baby's sleep has been disrupted - and we are faced with the time and expense of undertaking mountains of washing and cleaning, still with no guarantee we won't go home with bed bugs.

I understand the owner did not intend this, and is also suffering a huge amount of hassle due to a problem brought in originally by another traveller, and he was very very apologetic and refunded the whole cost of our accommodation. However, I do think he needs to do a lot more than just treat that room and wash/dry the bedding, to ensure the problem is fixed, and not risk putting other travellers through the same experience we have had. As a minimum the bedding should be thrown out and replaced, plus carpets lifted and checked, all remaining furniture treated etc. That seems like one of the unfortunate responsibilities of owning accommodation. I don't want this review to harm the owner's business. But I do think future travellers to cottage 2 should be aware so that they can inspect closely to satisfy themselves the next treatment has worked. I doubt the bugs would have gotten into the other cottages as they are a long distance apart, so long as bedding is not mixed. I have learned a lesson to inspect everything closely before unpacking, as this problem could affect any accommodation unfortunately.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Moorina
Norm W, Owner at Prom Coast Holiday Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2016

Unfortunately, we experienced every accommodation owners worst nightmare for the first time in over 20 years, bed bugs. They are not a cleanliness issue as they are brought in by travellers. We were quick to treat the problem after seeking professional advice with an organic powder which is the most effective treatment available. We also isolated the room for 6 weeks, steam cleaned the carpet and thoroughly washed and dried all bedding, plus purchased bed bug proof mattress protectors.
We were confident that the problem was successfully treated as we didn't come across any further evidence for months. We recently experienced a few more problems and treated the room as above plus replaced the mattresses and bunk beds. We have done everything possible to eradicate this issue.
There has never been any evidence in other parts of the cottage beyond this bedroom.
We have been in the accommodation business for 20 years and have always provided quality, clean accommodation with great customer service, otherwise we wouldn't survive. This was an isolated incident and we apologise for any inconvenience.

Reviewed 14 October 2016

Absolutely gorgeous location and property. Stayed in the two bedroom apartment. The loft bedroom was beautiful with great views. Internet didn't work in the loft though which was disappointing.
Unfortunately when we arrived the owner was away and had left the key for us, yet the second bedroom hadn't been made up, meaning my friend needed to share my bedding. Wasn't ideal as it was a cold weekend.
The facilities however are fabulous and the apartment and grounds amazing. Loved sitting having breakfast watching the wildlife run across the paddocks.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Norm W, Owner at Prom Coast Holiday Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2016

Hello
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that the 2nd bedroom wasn't made up. We only make beds for the the number of persons booked. In your case it was 2 people so we only made the queen bed as there was no mention of 2 beds required. Making up the second bedroom would have been no problem, all you needed to do was ask.

Regards

Norm Wilkins

Reviewed 2 September 2016

2 families (10 people total) stayed in the group lodge last year and it was perfect for our needs. The lodge has 4 bedrooms, so both sets of adults had a room each and the kids shared the other 2 rooms - it was perfect for that scenario.
The main room is massive, and we really enjoyed the outdoor bbq and pool.
The lodge is close enough to the Prom to use as a base, but is much nicer than the group lodges down at Tidal River.
All in all we had a great time and look forward to going back one day.

Date of stay: October 2015