“Best gluten free pizza I've ever had”

Al Vicolo Pizza E Vino
Ranked #27 of 101 Restaurants in Nicolosi
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Huge place and equally huge(enormous) pizzas! Make sure you are properly hungry before you go here.

I have had gluten free pizzas in many restaurants in Europe, and this was the best by far, you could almost not tell it was gluten free. Chewy crust and made in a wood fire oven. Excellent!
Very friendly staff, although english is a bit of a challenge for some of them, but if you speak slowly, they mostly understand.
We arrived around 20.00 and the place was almost empty, and by the time we lest at around 21.30, the place was totally full and there were lines outside, waiting for a table. So arrive early!

The only reason I don't give them 5 out of 5, is that the owner (lady taking payment from customers at the exit) looked like she took the tip we gave the waitress. I might be wrong, but it's not cool that she even has to take the waitress' tip. Also, by the time we were done, we were served by 4 different waiters. That was a little confusing. But there were around 40 staff on duty, so I guess they help each other, but it was confusing. The menu is also pretty big and confusing to some degree.

But anyway, very nice place with very reasonable prices. An enormous pizza is 10€ - I would for sure come back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The pizzas are extremely good, with great ingredients and the size is enormous... maybe worth to share an try also something else. The service is great also and very friendly.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

There are so many good places to eat, with friendly staff and great prices in Sicily. Do not be misled by these guys who are obnoxious, relatively expensive and with poor food.

The initial impression of this place looking from the outside was good, it looks quite a nice place with all the salumi on display, however immediately the guy at the door was just rude and dismissive which was a good sign of what was to come.

On arrival of my pizza I was quite astounded to find a live caterpillar frolicking on my pizza. On calling the waiter over, without a word of sorry or any form of recognition that anything was wrong the pizza was taken away. Again the guy came back and immediately said that this was proof that their rocket was fresh. To which I replied - No, it's proof you do not wash your rocket properly. At this he got upset and told me over and again how well the rocket was washed despite the clear evidence to the contrary of the live and writhing caterpillar found on my pizza.

On arrival of a replacement pizza, again not a single word of apology or fault of any kind. At this point we ate, and I have to say I was in general pretty disappointing. The pizza base base good but the topping lacked any real flavour. The rest of the family agreed with their pizzas and the burrata was old and didn't explode with liquid when pierced which is a first sign of freshness. So all in all, not a great place to eat.

On getting the bill and seeing that we had anyway been charged full price for all items - which in Sicily after being served raw caterpillar is unheard of, we asked if there would not be any dispensation for a reduction seeing the additional live protein they had served us. However, again, not a word of apology and a very defensive stance of - but we replaced the pizza. To which I had to reply that this ws a minimum requirement as otherwise I would not have eaten the pizza but called the health and hygiene inspectors.

Anyway after a very unsatisfying and frustrating evening we paid and left. Never, ever to return. And we suggest no one else ever comes here either. Absolutely horrendous behaviour for Sicily.

1  Thank Biddazzu
Reviewed 19 May 2017

First thing's first - Al Vicolo has an English menu available if your Italian is a little rusty...

The menu is amazing, loaded with pizzas and entrees. They carry a wide selection of craft brews as well. The prices are a little high, but you do get what you pay for at this place.

The wait was excessive. I believe we waited about twenty minutes to order, and it took almost 40 minutes after that to get a pizza. They failed to satisfy on this point.

Tip: Get a reservation, dress well (don't wear your vacation shorts and fanny pack), and enjoy your dinner.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

My husband and I was in Sicily in April to visit his fathers family in Biancavilla.
On evening they took us to Al Vicolo.
The restaurant is modern and well decorated.
As a starter we shared a beautiful arranged mix of different cheeses, sausages, hams and other delicatessen. All was of a very good quality.
We all had pizza and we only needed three even though we where 8 adults and two kids.
The pizzas were VERY good. We have had a lot of pizza in Italy and these where the best ever.
We will go there again on our next visit to Biancavilla.