“Will surely return!”

Half Moon Golf, Tennis & Beach Club
Ranked #4 of 5 things to do in Rose Hall
Reviewed 26 September 2007

We just got back from our stay on September 21-24, 2007. When we arrived on the Half Moon property we were already "sold' to come back again in the first 5 minutes! The resort was gorgeous. It exceeded our expectations in almost every way. The service was stellar - all of the staff on hand were amazingly friendly and helpful. At check-in that gave us a free upgrade from a superior room to ocean front - that really made our day especially since we were celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. There were only 68 guests staying on the 450 acre property making it VERY romantic and peaceful - perfect for a honeymooner or someone celebrating their anniversary like us. We virtually had the whole beach to ourselves which was exactly what we wanted (not like the other resort with dance club music blasting all night and the younger-set partying it up). The only complaint I have is the price of food (VERY VERY expensive) and that there is not a pool really near the ocean (I prefer to swim a pool right near the ocean - not a huge fan of salt water but enjoy hearing the waves). The main pool is in the middle of the resort. The concierge was very helpful with all our arrangements and my husband managed to have a cake made by the resort and have a serenade on our last night there! Truly romantic and enjoyable. Definitely do the dolphin encounter while you are there - it was ALOT of fun! The month of September is slow season at the resort so if you want a more peaceful, relaxing and quiet resort then that is time to go.

2  Thank mktgirl
"track"
in 4 reviews
"elevation"

Reviewed 7 April 2006

I really liked the low, spread out feel of the hotel. It blended into the landscape and gave a really remote and secluded felling. Also, the old world charm of fine wood furnishings as opposed to typical white wicker was beautiful. Food was good, typical island service (slow by NY standards.) Stayed in Royal Suite which had a lovely private patio and sunning area and direct access to the beach.

Three times we lost power/lights in most of the suite. I would also like to comment on the overall state of the bathroom. Chipped tiles on the vanity & chipped enamel in the tub.

In addition, by afternoon the swim-up bar pool was filthy with a scum from lotions floating on the water and the water was cloudy. Further, the lap pool's water was cloudy. It is obvious that there is not enough filtration in the common area pools. If you have access to one of the private pools they are clean.

Very much a family resort, plenty to do in the daytime. Very little to do at night especially after 11:00pm - only one bar open. Sedate piano music, no dance club.

1  Thank Stay13291
Reviewed 30 August 2005

Just returned from Half Moon with my wife and 2 boys (aged 12 and 6). 2 weeks of great relaxation and some exertion (ie tennis lessons, gym, horseriding, swimmimg, scuba etc etc). Overall a very nice resort. All the staff were friendly and polite without exception. The riding staff were exceptionally good with the kids.
We took room only in a Hibiscus suite, which was very good, clean and right on the beach. Had some plumbing problems early in the first week but these were dealt with efficiently and professionally.
We will return to Half Moon in the future, again on a room only basis. Our expenditure on food/drinks/activitites was considerably less than it would have cost on the meal plans. Perhaps we Brits eat less??!!
I do have some criticisms. There are not enough parasols either pool side nor on the beaches. The pools were not kept as clean as they could be (cloudy water; dead crab in bottom of Olympic pool for 3 days until I pointed it out to the staff; lots of incescts and leaves floating about). There is no poolside or beach side service. The baguette bar was shut. The kids got terribly bitten by insects (sand fleas I think) at the beach BBQ; both of them have many bites on their legs. The whole area was infested by insects and needs looking at. Finally there are parts of the resort that need tidying up.

3  Thank RIB999
Reviewed 17 August 2005

My family vacationed at the Half Moon last summer for a week. We chose the Half Moon because my boss and his family have been going there every year and they absolutely love it. They must be staying in the ritzy villas like the celebrities because I can't see why they would continue to go back. I was not impressed. My husband hated it. My kids were pretty bored most of the time. The dolphin experience was not worth the money. The pools were in sad shape - they need to upgrade the facility. It looks old and outdated. The condition of the rooms were terrible. For the price of the rooms, the accomodations should be a lot nicer. The food was so-so. The service very slow. No service poolside. The beach was a big disppointment. The best thing about the resort is the open air lobby and terrace at night. The other plus is that this resort is spread out and it doesn't feel crowded. However, I expected this resort to be much nicer for the money we were paying. It is ok but definitely not a good value. I wish we had gone to the Ritz Carlton - it was cheaper.

7  Thank MaureenR8
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 June 2005

We moved to the Half Moon after a dissapointing night at another resort. We were impressed with the resort and its staff from minute one. Half Moon understands customers. The Bell Man escorted us to the front desk. After a complete desicription of our package, the clerk took us to the Seagrape for lunch and then met us again afterwards. She took us back to the Bell Man, who drove us to our room. They believe in customer contact. Without mentioning it, they had upgraded us to the Royal Suites and agve us the upstairs and downstairs rooms (two large rooms for 2 adults and 2 children). Our room overlooked the ocean and a stretch of beach. The resort is large, safe, and spread out. We found every member of the staff inviting (except for the lady running watersports).

Despite Tropical Storm Arlene's rain, we had a wonderful time. The beach was beautiful, the food was great at all venues (Seagrapes, Sugar Mill, and Il Giardino), the bars were friendly, the pools were clean and comfortable, and room was great. The hostesses at the Seagrape made every effort to learn the kid's names and keep them happy.

One of our sons attended the Children's program for certain events and enjoyed making necklaces, pony rides, and tennis lessons (only one for that event) at no additional cost.

We did the "Take Me to the Moon" package which included the room, three meals a day, drinks, and bikes. I am not sure if it saved money or not, but it saved the headache of worrying about the cost of fodd and drinks.

The golf course is currently undergoing renovations so only nine holes are open. Many of the guests were moved from the Ritz Carlton since it is closed for repairs from water damage.

We will return to Half Moon in the future. Many business groups were there on incentive programs. I will look at doing the same.

3  Thank Mobile20329