All reviews half board north tyne country hotels river view hadrian's wall a la carte menu some tlc bar prices restaurant staff superior room lovely setting plenty of hot water chesters roman fort kippers steam room and sauna short break leisure club
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I can't remember how we found it last time but this time I was glad of the satnav. The hotel is in a lovely position on the banks of a river. The room was fresh and clean and was reached after a long trek. The hotel is a bit 'tired' and understaffed. We selected it last time from 'The Good Food Guide' but doubt if it's in it now. The food is OK and the hotel is a good base for the area.

2  Thank WelyDoug
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi WeltDoug,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
Thank you for the lovely comments about the hotel, it is a lovely area to be.
I will pass your information to the chef and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

This hotel is situated in a very stunning location- right next to the river. Hotel gardens are very pretty and landscaped. A walk here is so relaxing, the views are wonderful. All the staff are friendly and helpful. Restaurant is a pleasant dining area. Must say that the food could be more imaginative and varied- especially the vegetables. For 2 nights I had green beans, carrots and corn. My room looked onto the river and bridge. Clean and comfortable. Special mention for our driver, Brian who is a real credit to Shearings. A visit to the hotel spa is a must. All amenities in here, clean , with instructions for steam room, jacuzzi & sauna. Pool is clean, clear warm water. Hope to return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: no lift, anyone with mobility problems should ask for a low room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank geminileeds2017

Hi geminileeds2017,

Thank you for posting this nice review.
I will pass your lovely comments to Ian our gardener, he will be delighted to hear that people appreciate his work to make the garden beautiful.
Regarding the veg at night, I will pass this to the chef and he can look into variable options.
The leisure club is a great facility we have and we always try to encourage people to go down and enjoy free of charge.
If I see Brian again I will mention that he made your stay even better.
Wish you all the best and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Stayed here as part of The Wall walk. Good location for Chesters Roman Fort and for the onward journey. Nice welcome at the reception, we were abit early to check in, so they let us leave our bags, whilst we went to Chesters a short walk away. When we checked in , we had a large room with a great view of the river and bridge. Very comfy bed, had all that you needed, kettle, hair drier, etc and even a trouser press. The bathroom was nice and bright, but the shower not very powerful.
We never had a drink in the bar, as The Crown Inn was a 20 min walk up the road.
Breakfast was a buffet, so not very filling for a long walk.

Hi John a,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
This is a lovely place indeed and we are fortunate enough to be this close to these locations.
I am glad you liked the bedroom and the facilities. Regarding the breakfast, this is a buffet so you can eat as much as you like so if you come the next time, you could have it all :)
Wish you all the best and hopefully see you again.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

The location of this hotel is very nice. It's by the river and has an excellent grounds and public area. The rooms are fairly modern, very clean, and the hotel is quiet. The food was a bit of disappointment. Not bad, but not notable. I can't say I even remember what I had that night. I know it wasn't bad but... It is close to some of the Wall locations.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Hi JohntheLast,

Thank you for your review.
Thank you for the nice comments, I will pass it on the staff and the chef.
Wish you all the best for the future, and hope I can welcome you back again.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

What a fabulous location for a hotel, looks amazing when you approach from the bridge. When you get inside it all changes, very outdated and the toilets are way over-due a make over. Cleaning has a lot to be desired as the chairs in the bar are filthy and need a good hoover and shampoo. A lot of the staff are friendly but they don't all understand what you say and when ordering from the menu you have to point to what you want. The room is large enough with a massive uncomfortable bed that joins down the middle with bedding that is too small and with holes in! Cleaners need to realise you need to clean everything as the dirt and dust on skirting boards etc looks dreadful and I wasn't really looking for it! Food tasted good in restaurant and apart from the scrambled eggs that looked microwaved the breakfast was good.
To sum up the hotel I would rate it as 2* at 5* prices.

Room Tip: go somewhere else

Hi 865kizzy01,

Thank you for taking your time to post this review.
The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment in the near future, we do work hard behind the scenes to make this place beautiful and comfortable.
I have raised your concerns with my Head Housekeeper who will look into the cleaning standards you mention, I do apologise if this was not acceptable for you, I am sure if you came to the desk and mention it to reception we could have done something for you.
I wish you al the best for the future and I hope we can have you at the hotel again to change your experience.