All reviews half board north tyne country hotels river view hadrian's wall a la carte menu some tlc bar prices restaurant staff superior room lovely setting plenty of hot water chesters roman fort kippers steam room and sauna short break leisure club
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Stayed here as part of The Wall walk. Good location for Chesters Roman Fort and for the onward journey. Nice welcome at the reception, we were abit early to check in, so they let us leave our bags, whilst we went to Chesters a short walk away. When we checked in , we had a large room with a great view of the river and bridge. Very comfy bed, had all that you needed, kettle, hair drier, etc and even a trouser press. The bathroom was nice and bright, but the shower not very powerful.
We never had a drink in the bar, as The Crown Inn was a 20 min walk up the road.
Breakfast was a buffet, so not very filling for a long walk.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi John a,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
This is a lovely place indeed and we are fortunate enough to be this close to these locations.
I am glad you liked the bedroom and the facilities. Regarding the breakfast, this is a buffet so you can eat as much as you like so if you come the next time, you could have it all :)
Wish you all the best and hopefully see you again.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

The location of this hotel is very nice. It's by the river and has an excellent grounds and public area. The rooms are fairly modern, very clean, and the hotel is quiet. The food was a bit of disappointment. Not bad, but not notable. I can't say I even remember what I had that night. I know it wasn't bad but... It is close to some of the Wall locations.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Hi JohntheLast,

Thank you for your review.
Thank you for the nice comments, I will pass it on the staff and the chef.
Wish you all the best for the future, and hope I can welcome you back again.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

What a fabulous location for a hotel, looks amazing when you approach from the bridge. When you get inside it all changes, very outdated and the toilets are way over-due a make over. Cleaning has a lot to be desired as the chairs in the bar are filthy and need a good hoover and shampoo. A lot of the staff are friendly but they don't all understand what you say and when ordering from the menu you have to point to what you want. The room is large enough with a massive uncomfortable bed that joins down the middle with bedding that is too small and with holes in! Cleaners need to realise you need to clean everything as the dirt and dust on skirting boards etc looks dreadful and I wasn't really looking for it! Food tasted good in restaurant and apart from the scrambled eggs that looked microwaved the breakfast was good.
To sum up the hotel I would rate it as 2* at 5* prices.

Room Tip: go somewhere else

Hi 865kizzy01,

Thank you for taking your time to post this review.
The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment in the near future, we do work hard behind the scenes to make this place beautiful and comfortable.
I have raised your concerns with my Head Housekeeper who will look into the cleaning standards you mention, I do apologise if this was not acceptable for you, I am sure if you came to the desk and mention it to reception we could have done something for you.
I wish you al the best for the future and I hope we can have you at the hotel again to change your experience.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Swift check in, pleasant reception staff. Large clean room with very comfortable bed. The gardens and outlook were very beautiful and just minutes walk from Hadrians Wall.

I don't agree with others comments concerning the food, we found it to be very nice with adequate portion sizes and very efficient service in the restaurant both for evening meal and breakfast.

My only gripe is that the barman kept disappearing as he seemed to have several jobs so this could cause a long wait at the bar and associated queues for drinks.

I would definitely recommend for a couple of nights and would return again if passing that way.

1  Thank JKN101
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hi JKN101

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review.

I will pass your comments to the staff, they will be delighted to see that they are appreciated.
I will look into the issue you mention with the bar and I am sorry if you had to wait a long time to get served.
Again, thank you for posting this review and hope to see you not in the distant future.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We were booked here by a walking company. Great location, nice rooms and very welcoming reception staff. The restaurant was soulless and the food was like school dinners. I ordered a moussaka which when it came was in a cereal bowl, even smaller than a child's portion. Heard other guests complaining about the portion sizes. I spoke to the waiter who frankly couldn't care less. We asked to split the bill on a card between two couples and the staff said it was not possible - only premises I've ever encountered this. Breakfast was not inspiring, porridge tasted like wallpaper. Complacency because of a mostly captive audience in my opinion.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Hello BilboandSmaug

Thank you for taking your time to post this review.

I will investigate the matter regarding the payment.
We occasionally receive complaints regarding the portion sizes, it really depends on people's requirements. Some eat more and some eat less.
Regarding the staff, as you can see from previous comments, they are all helpful and friendly so I cannot see one of them not caring about customers.
I am sorry that the breakfast wasn't to your liking, there is something for everyone on the buffet to choose from.
Again, thank you for your time and I wish you all the best for the future.