All reviews half board north tyne country hotels river view hadrian's wall some tlc restaurant staff bar meals superior room lovely setting plenty of hot water steam room chesters roman fort kippers short break leisure club enjoyable stay
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel having booked 3 nights as part of a trip to the North East. Family and friends had stayed in this hotel in recent years gone by and so I chose it upon their recommendation.

I had booked a family room as I have a young child. The room we were assigned (room 303) we were told was the only one available suitable for a family. In reality it was not suitable to accommodate an animal let alone a family!

Although on the surface things appeared normal upon closer inspection and brief use of the room's facilities, it was found to be absolutely filthy throughout with dust and dirt everywhere. There were spiders and cob webs riddled throughout, in the room and the bathroom (on side lamps, light shades, on walls, behind the sink, toilet and in the shower to name but a few places). The duvet was filthy. The pillows were as plump as a sheet of paper. The bed mattress was so hard and uncomfortable, it was painful to sleep on!

It was apparent the room had not been properly dusted or cleaned in years. Within 15 minutes of sitting on the bed late on the first evening I began to itch furiously such that my family and I simply could not sleep at all.

As a result of the above issues encountered I made an immediate complaint to the night porter at 2am that night. I checked out as soon as the manager clocked on the following morning, demanding a full refund and not wishing to spend the remainder of my stay in the hotel. Despite the long list of issues and complaints at no point did the manager even bother to attend and inspect the room prior to my departure following my complaint, which in my view was a clear affirmation by him of the fact that these were all issues he was unsurprised to hear of, were not new to him and apparently not worthy of his time and attention.

I have stayed in hotels of a lower star rating with a far higher standard of cleanliness. This hotel and in particular its rooms are in a clear state of disrepair. Filthy to the point of being a health hazard and in desperate need of a thorough clean and refurbishment throughout, the hotel is in a poor state. I will never stay here again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Leith A
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post your review with us, I can only agreed in part that the room you mention is tired, not filthy. You ask the reason I did not attend the room, this was purely because it was early in the morning and i didn't want to disturb you or your family further. The room was obviously inspected after departure by my guys and the offending spiders were evicted where found. I could and did apologise that the room wasn't to your expectation. The issue was handled and the full refund was given, there was no demanding was necessary. we wish you and your family the best and thank again for your review.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Such a beautiful hotel lovely gardens, staff were brilliant couldn't have done more for you, the food was very good the pool was excellent along with the Jacuzzi, we will be coming back to finish seeing what we had missed, so much to see.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello Allwright1951,

Thank you for this review, we appreciate your time, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with and look forward to seeing you again. until then, take care and all the best.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

5 stars for the service given by the delightful young waitress.

Comfortable hotel. You could be forgiven for thinking your were on a Faulty Towers set. Manuel was also there in the restaurant along with the elderly guests.

Excellent dinner menu. Value for money.

Very good breakfast.

You should book if your walking the Hadrian's Wall path. Because they may have a coach tour in.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Hi Timothy W,

Thanks for your review with us, I can only think of our Gabby being the waitress and i will pass on your thought to her, Manuel doesn't have a look in on our Francisco, he is the real deal, speaks the lingo and more organised :-) thanks again for your review and we wish you all the best.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We were booked into the George by Mac's Adventures as part of our Hadrian's Wall trek. We arrived, tired, after 10+ miles of hiking. When we checked in, there was no service to help us with our bags. We were directed "up the stairs" and explained that we wanted to avoid stairs (we're 60-somethings, and while in good shape, were pooped from the hike). The directions were completely inadequate. We went back to the desk and asked to at least be guided to the rooms, to no avail. We finally, after up-and-down stairs (remember we wanted to avoid stairs) found the rooms. The rooms are clean, but pedestrian. The hot tub in the health center worked, and was a welcome asset. Things are looking up? As Chollerford is tiny, the best option for dinner (and breakfast the next day) are in the hotel. Other than the Indian appetizer platter, the food was OK. Again, the service in the dining room was well-intended, but so-so (think Manuel of Fawlty Towers, except Eastern European). For breakfast, we were first told that we could only have the buffet, however our plan called for a full breakfast off the menu. Finally got that sorted out. Ordered an espresso. Fifteen minutes later, no espresso or waiter. Stopped another waiter and was then told the espresso machine was out of order and no espresso. Bottom line, the averageness of the facility could be overlooked if the service was great. We blame management as it's their responsibility to train their staff, and this simply seems not to be the case.

Room Tip: Find another option, maybe a B&B.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elliot G
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Hi Elliot G,

Thanks for your review, Macs Adventure is one of our partners who direct walking business our way, with that said we refer to them as a third party bookers. We only get you name and that's about it, no needs or requests are mentioned. They are aware we have NO lift and stairs are pretty much the only way to travel here at the George, we haven't quiet figured the teleporting just yet :-) you pointed that that no service offered to help with bags, My guys on check-in offer to each guest, I presume if this service was offered or needed you mentioned this to my reception team? You mentioned the directions offered were inadequate, we give the same directions to guests daily but please accept my apologies if these were not explained clearly enough.

I find your comments regarding my hotel staff derogatory as that's how it reads, each one of the European staff work hard to ensure each guests needs are met, several.... well actually hundreds of previous comments rave about how good the staff are, so i feel country of origin is irrelevant. I feel I need to point out that Manuel was instrumental to faulty towers as are my staff to this hotel and my Spanish Food & Beverage manager is nothing like him either (his Spanish is better)

The self-service buffet is, if you are prepared to load up on the plate, a full breakfast with as many items are you are able to carry within reason off course and that includes the self service coffee machine which offers and unlimited supply of coffee in its many forms. In essence you will get as much from the buffet as you are prepared to put in.

I am sorry to read that you were looking for someone to blame, perhaps if you spoke with the myself (Manajer) or my European staff on reception we could have resolved your mentioned issues to a positive if not less offensive review. Unfortunately you didn't mention anything during your stay or on departure, making it difficult to impossible to address your thoughts, concerns or training tips, thanks again for your review and wish you all the best for future treks.

Basil - Manajer,

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We booked last minute, and possibly getting the last room available would explain the problems we had with the shower. It was running too hot. I managed to just put up with it , but my partner had to make the long walk to the health club to shower there. In the morning it was more bearable, but the receptionist couldn't offer any solution. The room itself was OK. Unfortunately that's about it. It has been refitted recently, and it is very much in the budget chain style. I am sure there are nice rooms, but ours wasn't it. Bizarrely the bathroom had some original brass fittings which could have been nice had then not had paint on them. We ate in the restaurant that evening, and while the food was generally good, the service and whole ambiance was just really disappointing. There was just no atmosphere in the restaurant at all!. Come on Coast and country Hotels, make a bit of an effort. The hotel could be so much better. I would like to comment on the chap who was on the bar that evening, he was very good, and I was impressed with the service he gave. All he did was just use his initiative and he was very helpful! Oh one last thing, please get rid of the coffee machine you use for breakfast, and serve decent coffee. It really would make a difference!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi John,

Thanks for your review, I remember the issue you mentioned regarding the shower and you were correct it was the last room and the thermostat needed replaced, though it something that can only be done by a professional plumber, reception can only make the call :-) some of the room were painted a couple of years ago though the bathrooms were left intact. I love the Victorian look, retro looks like that strangely enough are making a come back. the staff member you mention is Fran and he work hard as all the team do to ensure service is great which has surprised me about your restaurant ambiance comment. the coffee machine you mention are in all our hotels and is not something with get many comments about, we offer a bean to cup product in the bar. thanks for your review and we wish you all the very best.