All reviews half board north tyne country hotels river view hadrian's wall a la carte menu some tlc bar prices restaurant staff superior room lovely setting plenty of hot water chesters roman fort kippers steam room and sauna short break leisure club
Reviewed 29 August 2017

We booked last minute, and possibly getting the last room available would explain the problems we had with the shower. It was running too hot. I managed to just put up with it , but my partner had to make the long walk to the health club to shower there. In the morning it was more bearable, but the receptionist couldn't offer any solution. The room itself was OK. Unfortunately that's about it. It has been refitted recently, and it is very much in the budget chain style. I am sure there are nice rooms, but ours wasn't it. Bizarrely the bathroom had some original brass fittings which could have been nice had then not had paint on them. We ate in the restaurant that evening, and while the food was generally good, the service and whole ambiance was just really disappointing. There was just no atmosphere in the restaurant at all!. Come on Coast and country Hotels, make a bit of an effort. The hotel could be so much better. I would like to comment on the chap who was on the bar that evening, he was very good, and I was impressed with the service he gave. All he did was just use his initiative and he was very helpful! Oh one last thing, please get rid of the coffee machine you use for breakfast, and serve decent coffee. It really would make a difference!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Hi John,

Thanks for your review, I remember the issue you mentioned regarding the shower and you were correct it was the last room and the thermostat needed replaced, though it something that can only be done by a professional plumber, reception can only make the call :-) some of the room were painted a couple of years ago though the bathrooms were left intact. I love the Victorian look, retro looks like that strangely enough are making a come back. the staff member you mention is Fran and he work hard as all the team do to ensure service is great which has surprised me about your restaurant ambiance comment. the coffee machine you mention are in all our hotels and is not something with get many comments about, we offer a bean to cup product in the bar. thanks for your review and we wish you all the very best.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Spent the night at this hotel as part of a National Holidays trip. Very nice solitary location overlooking the river Tyne. Very nice and warm reception by the staff. Good bedroom and on suite. Dinner and breakfast were very good. Overall good value for money. Would recommend.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Hi Gemdoc,

thanks you for your review, we appreciate your time. we do have a great location and work hard to keep thing tip top. thank you for your kind words and we wish you all the very best.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Hotel surroundings are outstanding. Garden is very well kept and has a lovely river running through at the bottom. Ideal for sitting out and watching the world go by or perhaps playing chess on the patio.

Indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi reception area and small drawing rooms are nice and available for all with additional towels. Bar area and quiet rooms cosy with comfortable seats and settees.

Bedroom large, clean with comfortable bed and room 315 had a nice view of the river and gardens. We also enjoyed new furnishings but not all rooms had new furniture. Bathroom was large with Victorian fittings and included a large bath and shower. Water was red hot and again a very clean room.

What let down the bedroom was the noise created by somewhat noisy plumbing. You could hear adjoining rooms when they used the toilet, bath or sink.

The dining room was pleasant but basic for example no table cloths. But if you dined at the bottom area you had a lovely view of the gardens and river.

We only stopped overnight on a National Holidays coach trip. So did not sample the main hotel menu which was available to everyone. But chose from the limited coach trip menu. I had the fish which was overcooked, very small and came with no green vegetables just diced potatoes - similar to a child's portion. However my wife's selection of beef and roast potatoes with vegetables was a decent size. Must mention the rhubarb cheesecake was restaurant standard and melted in the mouth. Also it was nice to have tea and coffee served rather than have to go to another room and serve yourself.

Now the breakfast on the positive side there were no fixed times. Unfortunately, there were many negatives and this is what let the hotel down very badly. Only two waiters who could not cope. The eggs were not cooked, bacon had some kind of covering and the sausages over done. The eggs, bacon and sausage containers were regularly empty. We had to wait for the food containers to be refilled - at least the food was hot. They had all the normal cereals and dried fruit. The only fruit available to us was apples. They had two toast machines but unfortunately we had to wait again for more bread.

Hotel is one normally used by Shearings and not their poor twin National Holidays. This was reflected in the quality of the bedrooms and other areas of the hotel. However the food was a let down and the plumbing led to a sleepless night.
Hence the ratings down grade.

Room Tip: Rooms 315 to 319 had good views.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Hi Yorksdude12345,

thanks for the review, we appreciate the your time. it abit of a mixed bag here but we can look at some of this very quickly and easily. I will discuss with the chef the issues you mention, all your comments have noted. the buffet breakfast is very busy and keeping the breakfast items fresh and serving few but frequent is key to quality, Its a self service buffet the waiters are present to served the guests with top up items, not serve 90 guest by themselves, that's would be abit much, I am somewhat confused about your comment regarding the hotel being used by Shearing's and not there poor twin National Holidays, isn't this the same company booked with? perhaps if you don't like the National Holidays product you should discuss that with there customer care team? thanks for your review and all the best to you.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Hotel surroundings are outstanding. Garden is very well kept, reception area and small drawing rooms are nice and cosy. That's where the positive comments stop.
The dining area is of the national bus weekend away type. Very basic without table covers and with paper napkins.
Food quality is not there. They serve food and that's it. It's nothing to write home about (as if time stood still since the 90's with veg of the day being overcooked green beans, sticks of carrots and sweetcorn). A little bit more imagination would go a long way.
Rooms are basic but ok. Bathroom is filthy (blinds are dusty and state of window behind those blinds is unbelievably dirty).
This hotel used to be good 10 years ago ..... a full revamp is needed.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi EricD,

Thanks for the review, I hope you are well. we appreciate both positive and negative comments, I will discuss your review with the chefs as they always seek feedback from the guests, sadly its always appreciated first hand to allow us to address issues. not all rooms are basic, I would presume if t was a special occasion such as an anniversary you would have an upgrade to a premier or superior room and not a basic double? I will look in to the blinds, it never been mentioned before so i will take a look at this promptly. thanks for your review and all the very best to you.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately only a stop over night on our way back from Scotland. What a beautiful find. The hotel is set on the Banks of the River North Tyne, literally a 2 minute walk from Hadrians Wall.
We were given a family room which was huge and very comfortable for our family of 4. The bathroom was a full bathroom with lovely corner bath and separate shower cubicle.
The hotel offers dinner which was absolutely delicious - the Salmon Celebration highly recommended. Breakfast is a buffet style hot & cold items in offer.
The night we arrived we were invited to join a quiz night, so there is some form of entertainment laid on.
The George is a traditional country hotel which I would definitely visit again and recommend to anyone traveling through the Northumberland area.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Hi Danita,

Thank you for such a kind review, it was lovely having you with us. Scotland is a beautiful find too, though I am bias being a jock myself, I will pass on your views to my team who work very hard in the hotel. Thank you again for your review, I hope my countrymen looked after you as well as we did and we hope to see you and the family again soon.